Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Traffic Corps Sign - N78

Options
  • 29-06-2008 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else see the "cardboard cutout" of a speed trap on the Kilkenny Dublin side of Athy?

It's basically a wooden Garda Traffic Corps car with a pic of a Garda with a speed gun on it.

From the distance, it looked like the real deal and made everyone in the line of traffic i was in slow down.

Will try get a pic of it if it is there today when I am driving back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭rameire

saw it yesterday, tis pretty good,
    the missus was what the hell is the garda doing up there,

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

presumably some local put it up to try and make people slow down?

pvt.joker wrote: »

its the Gardai, that put it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

rameire wrote: »
    its the Gardai, that put it up.

I doubt that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

They did that in the states. Wait till people get used to the cardboard cutout and dont slow down anymore, and you'll see a read guard there catching everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They did that in the states. Wait till people get used to the cardboard cutout and dont slow down anymore, and you'll see a read guard there catching everyone.
    Aye, Canada too. They put the fake ones up frequently and then the odd time a real cop is stood behind the mock up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Stopped on the way back up today and got some pics of it.

As you can see the Garda in question is actually speed trapping the trees.

Having said that, I got flashed twice as I was approaching it by drivers coming in the opposite direction!

pvt.joker wrote: »

well i doubt its some local who just happened to have a life size cardboard cutout of a garda car in their back garden.

if its not the gardai its then the rsa or the local government

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

mick_irl wrote: »
    Having said that, I got flashed twice as I was approaching it by drivers coming in the opposite direction!
    Are drivers coming from the opposite direction still warning of speed traps ahead, isn't that illegal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

What if someone crashes into it? Should there be a protective barrier for signs? Who would you take to court? Especially if you don't know who put it up there in the first place!!!! Could make a name for yourself........maybe not!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

This was in the paper today! I thought it was quite funny..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

vektarman wrote: »
    Are drivers coming from the opposite direction still warning of speed traps ahead, isn't that illegal??

So it would seem - two cars flashed me when approaching it.

If they'd looked in their rear view mirrors after they passed, they would have seen it was only a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

From the distance, it looked like the real deal and made everyone in the line of traffic i was in slow down.
    This being Ireland, of course, everyone will brake and slow down, even if they didn't need to :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Bards

Easy know there's a recession on. Gardai now resorting to driving around in carboard cars after having their budget slashed:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Doesn't look like it's a high vis sign which is disappointing. Still, good idea and it would be interesting to see if the RSA releases figures on it's effectiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i want it.... anyone have a van that can take a item the size of a vectra???

just asking like :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

I was thinking about that myself anto, think of the craic you'de have with this. Ps i drive a merc sprinter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I can see this thing being robbed and ending up in someones bed room. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

murphaph wrote: »
    Aye, Canada too. They put the fake ones up frequently and then the odd time a real cop is stood behind the mock up!

i was going to say "only in ireland" but obviously not:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Kildare Co.Co, what will they get up to next. I doubt the local super would like his traffic lads parking like that though, looks like he lost it on the bend and ended up in the ditch!!!:D I see in that news article that it will randomly move around the county, which will prob involve a jcb and a truck load of council workers for 2 days to relocate it!!! Might have been able to buy a real one for that sort of money over time. In they U.S. some forces use real cars as decoys, mostly older or fake patrol cars with dummies inside dressed as cops. Though they have had problems with them being stolen too!

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

sure isnt it gone now, probably getting too much attention from the press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I can see this thing being robbed and ending up in someones bed room. :D

If it isn't, the youth of Kildare should be ashamed of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 heatpony

It was on the Clane ,Barberstown road at 6:30am on a Sunday morning.Scary..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, its still on the clane road, but suprise surprise, its been vandalised.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Well it's working anyway, as long as people keep slowing down to take pics of it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

There was a big discussion about it on RTE Radio 1 on Mon(I think).

btw...it is illegal now to flash a warning to someone about a garda checkpoint.

You are "Attempting to pervert the course of justice" or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

As you can see the Garda in question is actually speed trapping the trees.
    Only in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pgibson wrote: »
    You are "Attempting to pervert the course of justice" or something like that.

If the gardai were more enlightened, they would support citizens who encourage others to obey the law!

In many countries, the locations of both fixed and mobile speed checks are made available on official websites. If the goal is to slow people down at dangerous locations (not just catch people out in non-dangerous locations) then this actually helps achieve the goal.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

ninja900 wrote: »
    If the gardai were more enlightened, they would support citizens who encourage others to obey the law!

In many countries, the locations of both fixed and mobile speed checks are made available on official websites. If the goal is to slow people down at dangerous locations (not just catch people out in non-dangerous locations) then this actually helps achieve the goal.

Wow - By how much can one miss the point - Perhaps if we were more enlightened, we would slow down for our own selfish sakes...oh yeah and jsut in case we kill someone else..............Speed kills, it has nothing, NOTHING to do with if you know where speed checks are......now I'm mad :mad:

Advertisement