Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell xps m1330

Options
  • 28-06-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hey all, I bought a dell xps laptop earlier this year. I wiped vista and installed xp. I was told by dell that this was ok and they would support it. Anyway i installed it and the drivers from the dell website and it worked perfectly. I had a small problem with it the other day and rang dell support, they claimed that they do not support xp as "it wont work on the xps laptop" I then went to redownload some drivers from the dell site and discovered that they were taken down in the last few weeks! http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=US&l=en&s=gen&os=WW1&osl=en&servicetag=HMDGH3J&appIndex=dellspct Have i any comeback or can dell do this?
    I know i can get the drivers from the manufacture's site but its more the lack of support im concerned about.

Comments

wel they did say at the start that they would support if xp was installed right?

its not such a big deal not having dell support, just get the drivers from microsoft's website. also xp isnt as tempermental as vista, so you should have less problems and also your laptop will run a stormer cause there isnt so much to load mixed with a fast cpu and gpu = :D

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Thanks for the reply,
    yeah i know they did and I got it in an email from the sales rep. Il be sticking with xp i need it for college software anyway. The problem is i think there could be a hardware problem with the webcam, when i open or close the lid half way of move it too much the webcam stops working and i hear the hardware disconnected noise. Dell will not even talk to me about it because i have xp The dell's tech support exact words were "put up with it or install vista"! He claimed that there are no motherboard drives for xp. He showed me a "base system device in unrecognised hardware which he claim was the motherbard? but which was in fact a card reader i never gor around to installing, so much for dells premium xps support!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They'll support hardware issues but if you have any problems with your windows install they won't help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Dell never said they would 'support' the M1330 with XP.

They offered drivers for those who wanted them, and they will certainly stand over warranty repairs and things of that nature (hardware), but when it comes to software problems, they won't help you, as their tech guys are usually just working off a Vista script.

You need to be careful when interpreting terms like 'support'. Like I say, they'll stand over warranty problems, but 100% never said they will support the XP OS on that laptop.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

their tech guys are usually just working off a Vista script.

This isn't why. The reason they will only support vista on his laptop is because dell ship oem versions of windows on their computers. This means that they are responsible for the support of that version of windows (and not microsoft). They won't support xp because the op hasn't bought it from them.

• Advertisement

Thanks again folks, right well i understand now that dell will not support xp but i cannot convince the that i have a hardware problem as they claim that this is caused by a lack of drivers for the mobo which i know is bs as i searched the entire internet before installing xp and there was not one mention of a mobo driver issue.

With regard to the issue of them taking down the drivers i have absolutly no comeback?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I have the drivers for mine(xp & vista) saved. I suggest you do the same especially now they have removed some from their site. Handy in the event of reinstall.

Thanks sherifiu, I did that before i installed xp. It just makes it harder to know when updates comeout, i used to get an email from dell when new drivers came out. Ahh well anyway. So do ye think theres much point complaining to dell about this?

Dermot2468 wrote: »
    He claimed that there are no motherboard drives for xp.

thats the first time ive ever heard that, ANY motherboard can support windows 98 me xp vista ect the only limitation is how fast the gpu and cpu are ect

but there has to be some support for xp because its only a recent that vista comes standard!

you could always save all your files on a dvd re-install vista see if the problem is there and if it is its clearly to do with the hardware. send it off to get fixed and when you get it back re-install xp. i know thats stressful but could be your only option if there being pricks about it!

now that i think about it there could be a problem with the webcam and running on windows xp, i know my old scanner couldnt work with vista and there was no patch on their website to fix the problem... kinda stupid really

The best thing to do would be to dual boot. Shrink your xp partition then format and install vista on the new partition. See if the webcam works, if it doesn't then they can't say it's an xp prblem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

have a gander at
    http://www.notebookforums.com/
    might be a topic or 2 that can help , they have drivers for everything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I have an xps m1330 too and its rubbish!!! My webcam won't work for longer than a minute, the monitor breaks down every second time i turn on the lap top and the adaptor is never recognised by the xps as a dell adaptor so lap top won't charge and i have to have it plugged in all the time. Its 4 months old and i've never had so much trouble with a computer, also vista sucks.

Rang xps 'premium' support, left waiting for 40 mins before a guy located in india says he can fix it from there, takes control of my computer and starts looking through my photos then brings up a page on how to leave your husband! 2 hours later he says its fixed. The next day it won't turn on at all, called again, got another long waiting session and through to india again who said they don't have any numbers or emails for people in ireland, they told me again they could fix it from there and would run some tests but xps wouldn't turn on at all??? I had to keep repeating it won't turn on you will have to repair it. They seem to have some in built fear of letting you have a technician or doing anything other than installing new drivers!!!!

End result yes you can have a technician! My warranty says i can have a technician / replacement the next business day, rang on Thurs evening and they said its not possible to have someone on Friday i would have to wait until Monday. Then i got a voicemail left at 12.10 am to say i wouldn't get a technician until Tues or Wed. Are they having a laugh!!! Any suggestions

Thanks for the sugestions folks. Think il go for a dual boot with xp & vista see if there are any problems. Anyone got a nice easy to understand guide?

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your laptop, loladub. It is obviously a faulty laptop. I would sugest ringing them and asking to go straight to a supervisor. Easier said than done i know but if you get through to one they are a lot more helpful.

Thanks! They have said i can have a technician but they keep changing their mind when. They said it would be today and i have today off work but then the voicemail says Tues or Wed, can't get through to anyone in Ireland to find out when and i can't take another day off work this week. I emailed tech support but no answer :(

I don't think i would buy dell again after this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thats a bit crappy, I have an XPS myself now about 6 months and touch wood no issue. The Indian Dell support is absolutely cronic, cannot deviate, scripted to the hilt.
    Sorry to hear bout your troubles.

Which one do you have yop? What problems have you had to call tech support over? I'm really frustrated with it. I was told after everything else that a tech would be here yesterday, took it off work waited, nobody turns up then i got a call at 7 saying i would get one on Wed. I have a next day warranty and rang last thurs so this next day warranty is actually a week! Such a joke! I told the guy i couldn't get another day off work and he says the tech will go to your work, i work in a call centre and theres absolutely no facility for someone visting so i said can you give me the exact time or can i bring it somewhere myself. Yes they can give me a time-between 9 and 5.30 tomorrow-how kind of them. I told them i need a specific time or even a 2-3 hour window and i still get between 9-5.30. Theres no way i can take another full day off work this week but they really don't seem to understand anything thats not on their script.

I'm still majorly ticked off about the guy looking through my photos and bringing up the internet page how to leave your husband-surely they can't look through your personal stuff? Is tomorrows tech going to look through my wardrobes as he's here??

Ranting a bit i know-i'm so so so annoyed with all of this! Each time i get through to someone it gets worse and worse.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It was with a 1330 I bought for someone. I have the 1530 myself.
    The machine was dead as a door nail, I told them it was dead and that there was no point in trying to trouble shoot it, that I used to work for Dell and that I was technically strong, BUT fup me they still carried on like a bunch of robots for another 20 minutes.

I did after 3 days of ranting get an engineer out to replace the board. No issue since!

It seems theres a lot more problems with the 1330 than other xps.

I had them going on for ages telling me to connect to the remote computer site and all that while i kept repeating it was dead. Anyhow i got a technician out this morning who has it sorted hopefully! He's from a different contractor firm. Apparently dell doesn't have anyone on xps support in ireland anymore so how on earth is that premium service???:eek:

Also apparently there is no way they can provide next business day warranty in ireland because they don't have any members here and when you file a complaint with scotland/india tech support they have to dispatch it to the netherlands who dispatch the parts and when parts are sent to ireland then they're sent to the contractor. The contractor got my case this morning and was with me at 10.30. So i'm really happy with himself but not with dell at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DecTenToo

Well you won't get much help from Ireland as all the XPS support people were let go as of Friday - even the tumbleweeds look lonely in that part of the office. :D

As you said there is no-one in Dell Cherrywood to help you out and you have to go through the roundabout route your describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

DecTenToo wrote: »
    Well you won't get much help from Ireland as all the XPS support people were let go as of Friday - even the tumbleweeds look lonely in that part of the office. :D

As you said there is no-one in Dell Cherrywood to help you out and you have to go through the roundabout route your describe.

Ouch. I was just about to say that in all my experience (and my family's) with Dell support, I've always got an Irish or Scottish bloke who was able to have a bit of banter and could be reasoned with, but it looks like I'll be going Indian in future :(

• Advertisement

It seems that way. I reported my case on Thurs and it only got to the irish contractor today. So how they are charging for next day warranty and xps premium support is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

He was looking through your photos? Did he not know you were looking at the screen at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

I got my XPS M1330 last month and so far so good.

Past experience with Dell made me choose no extra support over basic warranty based on everything in the posts above about there support.

I just figure if it's anything software i can deal with that myself and if it's hardware the warranty covers it for 24 months.

I have to say Vista is slow though...kinda irked i couldn't pick XP though.

OP - I joined this site years back and it was such a good investment. Never have problems with drivers or finding them now.

http://www.drivershq.com/

Their software "Driver Detective" is really good. Would highly reccomend it.

quarryman wrote: »
    He was looking through your photos? Did he not know you were looking at the screen at the same time?

He didn't know i was looking at the screen when he was looking at my photos but he knew i was there when he was bringing up how to leave your husband webpages!

After i got a new motherboard and lcd screen yesterday now the mouse is freezing and the dvd drive is gone :(

How much extra is the next business day warranty

This thread isnt make good reading for xps owners!

Im currently dual booting vista and xp just sorting out drivers, still seem to be having troubles with the wireless but i wont do anything until ive the drivers fully sorted.
    Im dreading having to call dell to get "support" or worse get someone out from dell if it is a hardware issue.
    This will be the last dell product ill buy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That sounds like a lot of bad experiences. For installing xp, I mostly used their drivers for their vostro line, if I couldn't find them elsewhere. Everything got working eventually. Try matching up laptops with similar specs - dell use a lot of the same motherboards and pieces in most machines of the same specs and era.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Have one of these with Vista, 0 problems, no crashes so far.

Astrofool fingers crossed you won't be joining Dermot2468 and i up **** creek!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

astrofool wrote: »
    Have one of these with Vista, 0 problems, no crashes so far.

me 2

• Advertisement

I've had more crashes than i can count, so maybe i've got yours covered. I've had to have the motherboard, lcd and adaptor replaced now i need a new mousepad and dvd rom and something else that i can't remember. And they still won't give me a replacement!:mad:

Dermot how are you getting on?

My brothers dell lattitude broke 3 days out of warranty, seriously i would never buy dell again.

Advertisement