Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which creature quiz

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I'd be a vampire. :D

I love vampires! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i agree, succubus is fairly fitting.
    *guards bodily fluids*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Is Jabba the Hutt a creature of the night ? Cos that would be me ... except I'm not so slim, or sweet & gentle by nature.

jabba-the-hutt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,851 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would totally be a llama.

fear me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Overheal wrote: »
    I would totally be a llama.

fear me.

Consider yourself feared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

could the lochness monster be nocturnal because if you were nessie itd be pretty cool!

could the lochness monster be nocturnal because if you were nessie itd be pretty cool!
    well, yes, nessie is nocturnal. and very shy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Yeah but vampires are shmexy!

And they get away with biting... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I'd go with being sDoom.
    That's one shady character....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Definately Troodon

Troodon.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Velocirapter, no doubt.
    That or a pony.

velociraptor.jpg

Pfft, Troodon has better night vision than Velociraptor, smarter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

A cat. Sleep all day sleep all night, what a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Galvasean wrote: »
    Pfft, Troodon has better night vision than Velociraptor, smarter too.

I would so kick your ass

:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'd go with being sDoom.
    That's one shady character....

You've not lived till you've been DOOMed in the middle of the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

SDooM wrote: »
    You've not lived till you've been DOOMed in the middle of the night!
    Kinky......

id be a moth just to see how strongly i want to go into the light.
    think the sizzling would be a downer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭the_follwer

but would you really want to come back as a moth though...
    they have to be one of the most volitile insects ever,they fly into your face and into your clothes and you cant squash them either cos the sound makes you gag!
    id be a bat. a vegetarian bat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 chlara anne

and clip its claws?!

but would you really want to come back as a moth though...
    they have to be one of the most volitile insects ever,they fly into your face and into your clothes and you cant squash them either cos the sound makes you gag!
    id be a bat. a vegetarian bat

ah nah.but itd be fun to see why they love the light so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

I wanna be a Nightcrawler.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

A nocturnal human, I think. I'd like to go out driving in my car observing all the nightly stuff that goes on around the country. I like thinking about what people might be doing out driving at 2 and 3 in the morning, and where they're going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭the_follwer

ah nah.but itd be fun to see why they love the light so much.

To understand this phenomenon, you need to know about phototaxis. Phototaxis is an organism's automatic movement toward or away from light. Cockroaches are an example of a negatively phototactic organism. You've probably noticed how they scurry back into dark corners and crevices when you illuminate their late-night snacking party in your kitchen. Moths are positively phototactic. They seem charmed by your porch light, your headlights or your campfire (even if it leads to their untimely demise). While there is no definitive explanation for this phenomenon, there are some interesting theories.
    Some types of moths are known to migrate, and it's possible that the night sky gives them navigational clues. A moth's up-down orientation might depend in part on the brightness of the sky relative to the ground. Some lepidopterists (moth and butterfly scientists) suggest that moths use the moon as a primary reference point and have the ability to calibrate their flight paths as the Earth's rotation causes the moon to move across the sky. (There is even evidence to support the theory that migrating moths have an internal geomagnetic compass system to guide them in the right direction.) So a moth's attraction to an artificial light or to a fire could be related to orientation, and lead to disorientation -- the moth wasn't "expecting" to actually get to "the moon" (the light source) or to be able to fly above it, so confusion results.

It's also possible that moths have an escape-route mechanism related to light. Imagine disturbing a bush-full of moths at night -- they all fly up and out of the bush, toward the sky. To a moth in danger, flying toward the light (which is usually in the sky, or at least upward) tends to be a more advantageous response than flying toward darkness (which is usually downward).

Moths are more sensitive to some wavelengths of light -- ultraviolet, for example -- than they are to others. A white light will attract more moths than a yellow light. Yellow is a wavelength moths don't respond to.

Another interesting question is: Why do moths stay at lights? A moth's eyes, like a human's eyes, contain light sensors and adjust according to the amount of light the sensors detect. In high illumination, light from each of the moth's thousands of fixed-focus lens facets is channeled to its own sensor (ommatidium). In low illumination, light from multiple lenses is channeled to the same ommatidium to increase light sensitivity. You probably experience a few moments of blindness when you turn on a bright light after your eyes have adjusted to darkness, or when you are suddenly in darkness after being in bright light. A moth's dark-adapting mechanism responds much more slowly than its light-adapting mechanism. Once the moth comes close to a bright light, it might have a hard time leaving the light since going back into the dark renders it blind for so long. In the case that the moth escapes, it won't remember the problem with flying too near the light and will probably find itself in the same predicament all over again.

Another possible explanation for why moths stay at lights is that they are mostly night-flying creatures and eventually respond to the light as they would to the sun -- by settling in for their daytime "sleep."

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

eh em....errrr thanks for that riviting info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

me

cos i am the most nocturnal i auto qualify as a creature of the night

me

cos i am the most nocturnal i auto qualify as a creature of the night
    ¬_¬ no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Owl. H00t, h00t!

Ruu wrote: »
    Owl. H00t, h00t!
    i would have thought a fox? :P

• Advertisement

I would so kick your ass

:D

Probably not. Velociraptor was actually smaller than Troodon in real life. Plus he's useless without his pack.

Advertisement