Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Gambling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

A hundred quid doesn't sound like much of a starting bank for laying. One or two winners could send it all tits up. Unless your tipster is Miles Rogers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭God Of Radio

I understand the highs must be really high, but when you aren't winning it'd seem like you wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Having a steady paycheck would be much more suitable for 99% of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I get your point, God of Radio, but isn't it every gamblers dream to be able to quit the job and make a living from the sport they love?

Nothing annoys me more than people winning millions on Lotto and saying they're going back to the office/factory/building site on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

Collie D wrote: »
    Nothing annoys me more than people winning millions on Lotto and saying they're going back to the office/factory/building site on Monday.

Agree 100%. Anyone who does that should have the money taken back off them!

I understand the highs must be really high, but when you aren't winning it'd seem like you wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Having a steady paycheck would be much more suitable for 99% of people.

Good point, but a steady paycheck is grand if you love what you do. Most people don't.

If you think about it, what's the most precious thing in this world to humans - the one thing that can never be replaced?

Time.

All of our clocks are ticking down, so while there are a number of people that are happy spending eight hours of their day answering to someone, getting up at the crack of dawn for the daily grind, and living for a measly day or two off - others prefer to work for themselves. And, if it's something you love, it's not really work.

Without being to philosophical, I can assure you on my dying bed, I won't be saying "God, I wish I'd spent more time in the office".

It's just something I always wanted to try, and thank God, I'm the position to try it out and live the dream (just for a little while at least :o )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

wb wrote: »
    Without being to philosophical, I can assure you on my dying bed, I won't be saying "God, I wish I'd spent more time in the office".

But are you really gonna say "God I wish I spent more time in front of the computer betting on horses running around a track?"

hotspur wrote: »
    But are you really gonna say "God I wish I spent more time in front of the computer betting on horses running around a track?"

Like most people, I'll probably wish I spent more time with my family. But yeah, I love watching racing and get thorough enjoyment from it, so I wouldn't imagine I'll regret the time spent doing it.

I do take the point however, that it takes up a big amount of time, and just like any job, it suits some and not others. Some people would see what I do as hell. If I were actually dying - God knows what my outlook in life would be!

I'm not silly enough to think that this is likely, but a dream would be to make enough money to retire at 50 or so, then (hopefully) enjoy my last 20-30 years or so, spending time enjoying family and life in general.

Getting a bit deep here!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 trynabe

I don't know what the selection criteria is, as its a subsciption service.
    The person who runs it sends out the selections as they come up with a staking plan, usually 1 per day.

There are a small number of people invited into the system, which seems to run every few months. I paid £90 to join.
    The system has started and is closed for members, until he hits the £5000 and then starts again. He says that it usually takes around 60 days.

I don't know if its going to work, as I said previously I personally find it hard to lay any horse for the win long term, never mind the place.
    The person running it obviously has some system and we are running at 7 out of 7 bets so far.

As its a subscription service I can't give out any details, as it can only work on small numbers and I've paid a fee for the info.Large bets do actually cause a distortion in the market.

I'm happy to keep all informed as things progress if anyone is interested and if it proves successful put you in touch with the person running it, if he allows it.

I like the fact it starts off at small stakes betting bank of €100, so we are now trading with the winnings we have made, although it doesn't take much of a losing streak when laying for it all to go pear shaped.

I remain to be convinced..... but who wouldn't be drawn to the prospect of turning £100 into £5000

richard i dont wana be an ass but ive used countless "sytems" and ive realised ,why the hell would you share a system that wins as it would jeopardise your winnings if it was spotted ,, i used a mathamatics system for perming bets on bookies soccer lists and when i went to collect my winnings the manager in the bookies made me wait then quizzed me then said they no longer wanted my business ,, it cant be used online ad bookies refuse it so i dont know ,, id love to invent a system that works ,if i did it would be on betting exchanges , better odds no bookies and laying options ..so keep updating yor progress its interesting
    good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Richard Stevens

Hi All,

Well the system has been running for a couple of months now and it is pretty much back where it started from. The best run was 19 winning lays and one loss, but the last 2 weeks have seen another 3 losses.

As I said at the beginning I have always found laying horses usually turns out something like this. I was amazed that we received 19 winning selections in a row and thought that the person running the system had a system that worked and maybe he still does, I don't know.

The selections he has been giving are distorting the market. You can see the graph on betfair explode out, when the selection is posted, with people chasing the money. For example, selections are usually around 10/1 in the win market, so should be approx 3/1 in the place market. When the selection is posted it usually shoots up to 5/1 or 6/1 or even 7/1- making it a no value bet. The author thinks this is down to a) people chasing prices and b) the information is leeking out to a bigger audience.
    Either way it makes it more difficult for the system to work, with greater hits been taken when a selection comes in.

I am going to stick with it for another while, to see if it can be turned around.

The bookies definately seems to be watching everything even more closely now....I don't know if anyone read the recent info in the papers about the internal memo sent out to Celtic bookmakers and how they are open to being hit from people looks for "arb" opportunities using the exchanges etc... The whole environment has changed for the bookies with the exchanges but to close down or not accept bets from ordinary punters when they hit a winning streak will not win any friends.....still don't know too many poor bookies.
    The exchanges do seem to be the way to go to avoid all this nonsense.

I've use a program called racing traders, which links into your betfair account and I find makes using betfair easier, especially if you are trading on events. (there are plenty of other ones out there, but this one has some good video tutorials).
    I use it mostly for trading on the football.

I'm with you mate for inventing a new system.... small consistent profits seems to be the way to go. However the bookies do love a system....

Happy punting

Richard.

trynabe wrote: »
    richard i dont wana be an ass but ive used countless "sytems" and ive realised ,why the hell would you share a system that wins as it would jeopardise your winnings if it was spotted ,, i used a mathamatics system for perming bets on bookies soccer lists and when i went to collect my winnings the manager in the bookies made me wait then quizzed me then said they no longer wanted my business ,, it cant be used online ad bookies refuse it so i dont know ,, id love to invent a system that works ,if i did it would be on betting exchanges , better odds no bookies and laying options ..so keep updating yor progress its interesting
    good luck

Ah systems
    at the moment ive used a type of system on the darts ,i watched and waited and if the pre match fav goes a set up i bet ,, its rare in small set games yhe underdog comes back ,, twice this week only out of 19 ,, quarters and semis are harder because of similar quality players and more sets ,i went for barney twice in qs and semis and hes through but taylors odds are silly so i let him off ,my system worked so im taking my profits and not betting on the final ,, this type of system works with tennis aswell ,- fav - 1st set - bet - simple ,,each time 5% of bank DO NOT get greedy
    good luck all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

wrote:
    Ah systems
    at the moment ive used a type of system on the darts ,i watched and waited and if the pre match fav goes a set up i bet ,, its rare in small set games yhe underdog comes back ,, twice this week only out of 19 ,, quarters and semis are harder because of similar quality players and more sets ,i went for barney twice in qs and semis and hes through but taylors odds are silly so i let him off ,my system worked so im taking my profits and not betting on the final ,, this type of system works with tennis aswell ,- fav - 1st set - bet - simple ,,each time 5% of bank DO NOT get greedy
    good luck all

So Van Barneveld starts the game the 1/4f and when he wins the first set his price goes 1/8 so get on at that price like?.

Serena starts 2/7 and her price changes to 1/6 after whe wins the first set so you get on at 1/6?.

Ah yeah.

im only giving my opinion fella , i like to bet big to win small it sounds mad but my risk is lower this way ,ive tried other ways and its too volatile for me ,i hate losing streaks and this way cuts down the chances of that ,like i said i use 5% of my bank so even if it goes wrong im safe ,over the tournaments im usually ahead ,otherwise odds compilers wouldnt exist im using their knowledge for my gain ,,,,so relax yourself its just an opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Richard Stevens

Hi All,

Do many use trading opportunities on betfair?

There are alot of opportunities in games like snooker, which just happens to be on at the moment.

The betfair market is fairly voilitile on Frame and Match Odds betting, which creates opportunities to trade.

Snooker matches usually fluctuate considerably as it is very rare that a player will win every frame in a snooker match at professional level, especially at the later stages of the competition when players are more evenly matched.

Anyone dabbled in this or interested in it?

Hi All,

Do many use trading opportunities on betfair?

There are alot of opportunities in games like snooker, which just happens to be on at the moment.

The betfair market is fairly voilitile on Frame and Match Odds betting, which creates opportunities to trade.

Snooker matches usually fluctuate considerably as it is very rare that a player will win every frame in a snooker match at professional level, especially at the later stages of the competition when players are more evenly matched.

Anyone dabbled in this or interested in it?

i use it all the time ,, open an account learn how to back and lay ,now you will get stung at times but its great for turning situations around ie if you go to a bookie and hand your money over the counter thats it ,,on betfair if an event is "in play" you can lock in profits or lessen losses regardless of the outcome ,try it and research it ,,dont buy any so called programs there all waffle ,you can get "betangel" for free check it out its excellent for trading on the exchange
    theres a million pages and a demo on betfair with all the info
    good luck

Advertisement