Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

3201027031_f65b33ab03.jpg

3201878182_47bce23f91.jpg

3201865692_d75250c7af.jpg

3201860430_4acb2a31dc.jpg

3201010613_f0b39e411c.jpg
    I got handed this leaflet at the toll booth today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Great pictures Furet.

Could you just clarify where they were taken. I presume Picture 1 is J12 and Picture 2 near Carrigane. But I'm unsure of the other two. Anyway, if they're all on the northbound stretch then progress has simply been mind-blowing. There is no word to describe how ridiculously fast this scheme has progressed. Had Moorepark been set up properly in the first place, we could've been looking at an opening 4 months from now. Which actually brings me onto my next point...

I'm a little bit concerned about the statement: "duration of these works is approx 6 months". If that is to be the case then my original June-August prediction could start to slip and it may find its way into September. Also, I think that throws the sectional opening theory out the window...

Another thing: I guess the one advantage of toll booths is that those handy leaflets can be handed out to motorists. Nice to see all those extra 10 cents being put to good use ;) (I presume).

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Great pictures Furet.

Could you just clarify where they were taken. I presume Picture 1 is J12 and Picture 2 near Carrigane. But I'm unsure of the other two. Anyway, if they're all on the northbound stretch then progress has simply been mind-blowing. There is no word to describe how ridiculously fast this scheme has progressed. Had Moorepark been set up properly in the first place, we could've been looking at an opening 4 months from now. Which actually brings me onto my next point...

Yes, all northern: The bit that encompasses the bypass east of Mitchelstown as far as Carrigane. Simply staggering. Here's a treat for you:

I'm a little bit concerned about the statement: "duration of these works is approx 6 months". If that is to be the case then my original June-August prediction could start to slip and it may find its way into September. Also, I think that throws the sectional opening theory out the window...

There won't be a sectional opening alright. I think a 6-month work estimate for Moorepark is very conservative, but even if it's right, we're looking at July. Who knows in that case: maybe the northern section will open before the southern!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Or maybe they'll fix it up so that one lane is usable through the interchange with them working on the second lane for an additional month.

That video is a remarkable piece of footage. Thank you very much for making the effort to record it. :)
    Furet wrote:
    There won't be a sectional opening alright. I think a 6-month work estimate for Moorepark is very conservative, but even if it's right, we're looking at July. Who knows in that case: maybe the northern section will open before the southern!

I was just thinking the same thing, it would be quite an ironic twist considering how things started off.

But yes, I imagine 6 months is the longest it could possibly take. I don't think it'll take that long.

Anyway, at this stage I can't really say how it'll pan out. But it's pretty obvious that the first thing they'll inevitably do is close off the right-hand exit lane. That little luxury will soon be a thing of the past.

Here's a crude diagram showing the Moorepark Junction to help you understand what's going to be happening soon (you can see from this diagram how awkward the current set-up actually is):

• Advertisement

I recorded three movies today that cover the N/M8 from Dunkettle to about 500m shy of the Mitchelstown Relief Road. The quality is not exactly HD -- I had to compress the files quite a bit.

I deemed it useful to add captions. All videos record northbound journeys.

It will be nice to have a motion picture recording of this section before the motorway redesignation takes effect.

I similarly wanted to record the Fermoy Bypass before the M-F tie-in works take place.

Although this video of the single carriageway N8 depicts a quiet road, I'd like to say, firstly, that it was recorded on a Sunday afternoon. Secondly, the process is a teeny bit like the Anthropic Principle: it was only possible to record the video because the road happened to be quiet. Thirdly, as you can see from the numerous entrances, bends and junctions, the road is very dangerous. This fact is sadly reflected in my fourth point: between Fermoy and Mitchelstown there are no fewer than three roadside memorials to people killed. Many more have died down through the years, of course.

Higher Quality (i.e. sharper images) available at:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Ageyszssyhg
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=2oa1L0UuPN8
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=50ODagxHqfM

...select the 'watch in high quality' option underneath the volume tab.

Furet delivers the goods again :D

Thank you very much for the videos Furet. :)

Just like to point out a few things for those who don't have the time to view the entire length of each video:

1st Video

ALL - Note the faded road markings.

0:34 - I expect the "motorway ahead" signage to be placed here. :rolleyes:

4:04 - 120 km/h signs, just before J18 - Furet has them captioned. Also, I'd like to draw your attention to the LILO-esque off-slip for Glanmire. There is an issue for this type of interchange on the Athlone Bypass, the only difference being that the interchanges on that don't have the long off-slips.

4:48 - Note the "N8" road markings. Will these be re-painted to say "M8"? (Something tells me not - see 8:03)

7:47 - Note "M8 (Toll)" Start-Of-Motorway Signage... will this be kept when the redesignation comes through (I hope not because it'll just confuse the issue. People will get the idea there are two M8s - an M8 and an "M8 (Toll)" - which is completely ridiculous.

8:03 - Note "N8" road markings. This shows that this road was previously part of the free-to-use N8 before it became part of the tolled Fermoy Bypass. Note that the wide-median continues until 8:44.

8:57 - Note stange "grey" speed limit. I really don't know what it means. You see it on some of the off-slips (J15 for example).

2nd Video

Not much to say. Fermoy Bypass is a beautiful stretch of road. That's really it.

A few things though:

First of all, skip to 7:46 if you want to see how awkward the F-M tie-in is set to be.

Will the "M8 (N8)" silliness on the ADS signage be changed. There's no need for it and it will simply confuse the issue.

4:40 - Note the completely unique set-up of exit signage. They have the gore sign with destinations moved a few hundred metres forward, and then at the gore a sign saying "R639". I don't know any other motorways in country that do it like that.

5:11 - Note "motorway ahead" signage AFTER the toll booths. What good is it there? Also note the song that's playing. Gotta love that track. :D

5:13 - Note the hatchings to the right. It looks like wasted space, but really it's to do with sightlines.

5:40 - Note emergency phone in front of RCS. A minor point, but WHY do they have to make such simple little mistakes. *Sigh*

6:28 - The impressive Blackwater Viaduct. Again Furet has it captioned. The view is amazing, both from the viaduct and the town.

3rd Video

Skip to 5:39 to see M8 - Junction 13 under construction.

Thoughts -

I hate Dunkettle :(
    8m04 in the first video it says N8 on the road, about 200m after the signs for the M8 start.
    0m28 in the second video - ludicrously small direction sign, same at 4m21
    1m15 in the second video - end of motorway on the sliproad is too soon

But great stuff :D

Edit:beaten ;)

I hate Dunkettle :(

Don't we all. :(
    Edit:beaten ;)

What were you going to say? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Furet, thanks for the videos and photos. Great stuff! Thanks also to BluntGuy and Chris for their observations.

I have never driven on the N8 but from that 3rd video it does look pretty dangerous.. The sooner it's fully replaced by the M8 the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

How old is road from Video1? Surface doesn't look great.
    Or maybe Furet's hands are shaking ;)
    In general surface looks better on 2 lane N8 than on DC. Or is it just my perception?

KevR wrote: »
    I have never driven on the N8 but from that 3rd video it does look pretty dangerous.. The sooner it's fully replaced by the M8 the better.

Too true.
    The climbing lanes go on for several kilometres, and they make the road look deceitfully broad and safe.

Firstly there are bends, and houses, junctions, pubs or farm entrances on all of those bends. Because the central lane is the "fast lane", traffic making a right turn into any of the junctions must slow down (or stop) on the "fast lane" to do so - often on a bend. Secondly the lack of a hard shoulder makes it dangerous for people wanting to pull out onto the road - they have no chance to accelerate.

Incidentally, the road isn't broad at all when you're in the middle lane overtaking an artic, and another artic is coming against you. During the week this happens all the time. It can be a hair-raising experience!

On top of all that, the road is full anyway (on weekdays), and because of its altitude between M/town and Fermoy, the road is very prone to dense fog. So yes, good riddence N8.

Geogregor wrote: »
    How old is road from Video1? Surface doesn't look great.

Not more than six years old in the second half of the video; older in the first half (I think). The drainage is quite poor especially in the second half. You can see a thin film of water on multiple occassions.
    In general surface looks better on 2 lane N8 than on DC. Or is it just my perception?

Mostly your perception, though the surfaces are variable. Rewatch video 3 in high quality (on the youtube site itself) and pay close attention to the edges - these are partially subsided in many areas, which is bad, considering there is no shoulder.

(My hands might have been shaking a bit - from the bumps caused by the poor surface ;) )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Furet wrote: »
    Not more than six years old in the second half of the video; older in the first half (I think).
    The second part of the video shows the Watergrasshill bypass, opened in September 2003.
    The first part is the Glanmire Bypass, which opened way back in 1992.

spacetweek wrote: »
    The second part of the video shows the Watergrasshill bypass, opened in September 2003.
    The first part is the Glanmire Bypass, which opened way back in 1992.

I think the Glanmire Bypass was resurfaced in 2005 or 2006? (But only northbound?)

I know that construction started in 1985(!) and that it was built by multiple contractors. It also came in extremely over budget. I was trying to find information on the construction history for the 'History' section of the M8 wikipedia page, but it's very hard. Environmental Impact Statements were but a twinkle in the European Commission's eye at that stage, and all the brochures that were archived no longer exist for some reason (which makes you wonder what sort of archive they were housed in). I'd like to read that commemorative stone at Dunkettle, but it's impossible to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I think this has been mentioned before but does the M8 (and other new motorways) not have reflectors on the central concrete step barrier? Have the NRA ever given a reason why they haven't included them on these new roads or are there plans to ever put them in?

There are reflectors (at intervals like cats eyes) on the concrete barrier of the N18 Ennis Bypass. Makes a really good job of it. I'm surprised that they aren't on other new roads.

KevR wrote: »
    I think this has been mentioned before but does the M8 (and other new motorways) not have reflectors on the central concrete step barrier? Have the NRA ever given a reason why they haven't included them on these new roads or are there plans to ever put them in?

The M8 Cullahill-Cashel DOES have reflectors. Cashel-Mitchelstown (including Cashel Bypass) DOESN'T. Fermoy Bypass? Well it's been a while since I drove it at night. I never had a problem with the lighting there, but I don't know if there are reflectors.

Just to follow up on the construction video I posted upthread, a few people wondered what layer was being applied in the video. I believe this is called CBM, which stands for Cement-Based Material. This is tipped in front of the asphalt laying machine, which then gathers it, distributes it, levels it and compacts it. This is the process shown in the video.

Next, rollers follow the laying machine and further compact it, as can be seen in this picture:
    3222332529_7eba82b3f1.jpg

A little further back we have another machine, shown in the picture below, which sprays what I presume is bitumen onto the CBM to form an adhesive layer. Onto this go three layers of asphalt.
    3222332547_9fb9d4c980.jpg

Thank you for the information Furet. I presume those two photographs are from the Northern Section.

• Advertisement

Yes indeed. During the past week the asphalt laying machine made good progress in advancing towards Carrigane. If you look closely at the first photo you will see in the distance an overbridge and some lights. That isn't junction 12, but it is only 2km south of it. Also, they are working Saturdays again.

I estimate it will have reached Carriagne by the middle of the first week of February.

I also have a few photos from Junction 14, but I didn't bother to upload them. The tie-in works should start next week. All of the equipment is stored under the overbridge at J14 - cones, sandbags, flashing signboards. I assume the works will start first thing on Monday morning.

Well I presume they'll be setting everything up tommorow night. So today and tommorow are the last days you'll be able to use the right-hand offslip.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this interchange.

Yes. It's now up on AA Roadwatch that the works kick off tomorrow. AA says they'll last until July. Frankly I don't see how they'll take that long. I say May at the absolute most.

This is how the junction appeared in August 2008:
    3224825283_7355274e60.jpg

It has looked like this since mid November 2008:
    3123952760_aa978f2883_o.jpg

The pictures below were taken on 24 January 2009:
    3223530940_2ff4e42bd6.jpg

3223545366_6ef1638f0f.jpg

3223552090_254f0aeae9.jpg

3222721529_5acddeb0ff.jpg

Thank you for the pictures again Furet. Nice of you to keep us updated as usual.

And also (you beat me to it :D), as you said, the AA roadwatch website has been updated with this as well with this information:

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=98843

Have they taken down any of the signage i.e Use Both Lanes etc. ?

Have they taken down any of the signage i.e Use Both Lanes etc. ?

They hadn't yesterday anyway. I probably won't be passing by again until next Friday. I'll take photos then of course!

I believe that the northern half of the scheme will be ready for the median by the end of February/early March. I expect blacktop will start going down from J13 towards J12 on the northbound carriageway from next week (the southbound carriageway is already done). It should take them 4/5 weeks to have the two layers of asphalt down, northbound, as far as Carrigane. Then they will start the median.

So, by March, the entire scheme will be receiving its final layer of asphalt. Lining should take place in April. Landscaping works are being done concurrently. The tie-in at Carrigane will be done very quickly; I'm not worried about that at all. I'm very confident that the scheme will open in the last week of May/early-mid June, all at once.

They hadn't yesterday anyway. I probably won't be passing by again until next Friday. I'll take photos then of course!

I believe that the northern half of the scheme will be ready for the median by the end of February/early March. I expect blacktop will start going down from J13 towards J12 on the northbound carriageway from next week (the southbound carriageway is already done). It should take them 4/5 weeks to have the two layers of asphalt down, northbound, as far as Carrigane. Then they will start the median.

So, by March, the entire scheme will be receiving its final layer of asphalt. Lining should take place in April. Landscaping works are being done concurrently. The tie-in a Carrigane will be done very quickly; I'm not worried about that at all. I'm very confident that the scheme will open in the last week of May/early-mid June, all at once.

I'm not worried about the Carrigane tie-in either, that's a pretty simple one.

And I agree that the entire scheme will receive its final layer of asphalt - the wearing course AFAIK - all at once so that it's nice and consistent. None of that concerns me.

But I am worried about the Fermoy Bypass tie-in. I always knew it would be relatively painful, but looking at the layout, it's going to be a very messy affair. Reason: Part of the entrance slip-road has to be removed to make way for the new carriageway. That also involves removing the concrete barrier. Then that area will have to be levelled out.

I have no doubts that by mid-February, the area will look a complete mess. But by the end of April, it should be starting to come together. I can only base these predictions on the progress I've seen on similar works.

Part of the entrance slip-road has to be removed to make way for the new carriageway. That also involves removing the concrete barrier. Then that area will have to be levelled out.

I have no doubts that by mid-February, the area will look a complete mess. But by the end of April, it should be starting to come together.

Those comments all seem spot on to me. I'd say they'll have to slice the first 400 metres clean out of the Fermoy Bypass and redo it all to get the levels right.

Those comments all seem spot on to me. I'd say they'll have to slice the first 400 metres clean out of the Fermoy Bypass and redo it all to get the levels right.

Which is pretty ridiculous considering that it only opened two years ago.
    All this work could'vebeen avoided if it was done correctly in the first place.

I'm not even sure once they've removed the unncessary part of the on-slip that there'll be enough space for the carriageway. They may have to re-align the remaining part of the on-slip.

It just seems so messy, I can't even think about it. I'll just wait to see how they approach it over the coming weeks. We should have a clear idea how they're going to approach this within a month.

I actually passed by today and took one photo from the inside of my car.

3231002871_cd8ac6f798.jpg

Further north at junction 13 I simply had to stop the car and get out. Thankfully I wasn't in any particular rush, so I had a chance to take this photo...

3230761975_a5bc715b69.jpg
    ...which shows a convoy of ten blacktop trucks qeued up.

I also had an opportunity to film the laying of the blacktop...

...though I suggest you watch the High Quality Version here instead: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=PFhrRXV7ikE (it's only about 1.5 minutes long).

I have a better video that I'm uploading to Youtube right now. When it's ready I'll post it here too.

• Advertisement

Hmm... Furet, your first picture's quite interesting. What work would you say they're carrying out? I have an idea in my head, but I'm not quite sure...

And what kind of traffic management is in operation there? It would be interesting to know since I might be able to fathom a guess at how things are going to pan out over the coming weeks

Advertisement