Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Hello! Does anyone have any news on the cullahill/portlaoise section of the motorway? Will it be opened as a 30km stretch or in sections? As a regular user from cashel to dublin I'm like a child waiting for christmas!!! keep up da good work.

Cheers. For news on the final section of the M8 to Portlaoise, see the dedicated thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055344405

Unfortunately it probably won't open until the second half of 2010.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Furet wrote: »
    It's quite bendy alright. My camera was on high zoom though, so the picture appears far more distorted than the real thing actually is. Site lines will be fine, but it won't be a patch on the Watergrasshill Bypass or the Cashel to Cullahill scheme for instance.

Yea, I'm surprised it looks that twisty based on the way it looks in the map, it must just be the zoom.

It totally is. This picture was taken from one of the twisty parts; the sight lines are grand:

3376338438_87614fc5cb.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It totally is. This picture was taken from one of the twisty parts; the sight lines are grand:
    Oh, that's fine. Just got back from Spain; their motorways are way worse than ours.

The Cork Roads Design Office have uploaded a Mitchelstown to Fermoy scheme news update here. The update, however, is already well out-of-date (by ten days)!

Construction works on the N8 Fermoy-Mitchelstown Scheme are currently progressing well in a number of areas:

* Works have been ongoing at the Moorepark tie-in over recent weeks. To date the permanent northbound off-ramp and the permanent southbound on-ramp of the Moorepark Interchange have been completed. Works are currently focused on tying in the main line of the new scheme to the existing Fermoy Bypass main line. Regular commuters on the N8 will be able to monitor the ongoing progress in this area – we expect that surfacing works in this tie-in area will get underway after Easter.

* At the northern end of the new route construction of the concrete median barrier is progressing well. The attached photograph shows a view of the completed barrier looking northwards from the Ballyporeen Road overbridge [this is in fact wrong; it's the Carrigane overbridge that is shown].

* Construction of the final surfacing layer is also now underway working northwards from the Funshion River bridge. The ongoing surfacing and lining works will be visible to N8 motorists in the Ballybeg area [i.e. junction 13] over the coming days.

In overall terms the works are progressing very well and it remains apparent that a significant improvement will be achieved in relation to the originally scheduled completion date of March 2010. However, a number of the finishing items including final surfacing, lining etc are heavily weather dependent. Accordingly, it remains impossible to accurately predict a completion date for the scheme but we will issue a further progress update next month.

In the meantime members of the public with queries/comments on the ongoing works are invited to contact the site office on 025-41600.

Some nice photos here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Though out of date, it is a thoroughly excellent update in my opinion. Clear, concise and with useful facts, coupled with some nice photographs.

All schemes should have progress reports such as this.

Finally bits of the M8 are starting to appear on Google Earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The M8 southbound was closed yesterday from Cahir south junction to the Mitchelstown end, I couldn't see why exactly, there was some plant and men about a half a km north of the end of the motorway.

I also noticed the quite irregular spacing of the emergency phones north of Cashel, some were 1.5km, others 2km and another pair only 1.4km (+/- 0.1km)

Closed to repair the subsidence that has manifested over the past two months along the outside lane southbound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Closed to repair the subsidence that has manifested over the past two months along the outside lane southbound.

...yes, but would the closure also have anything to do with the F to M tie-in? Are they kind of killing two birds with the one stone - like taking advantage of not having to deal with any traffic (due to work on the subsidence) while resurfacing/remarking the mainline at the tie-in point.

Regards!

• Advertisement

I would doubt it. They don't need to close the M8 to facilitate tie-in works due to the set-up.

No connection with the M-F tie-in. As Blunt said, that will have/has had zero impact on C-M.

I filmed the N8 today from north of Durrow to the M7.

Topaz, McDonalds etc have started to construct the new off slip at junction 8 on the Cashel Bypass. I've fired off an email to the NRA asking in it if these developers will be instructed to install NRA-approved ADS plus cantilever signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Topaz, McDonalds etc have started to construct the new off slip at junction 8 on the Cashel Bypass. I've fired off an email to the NRA asking in it if these developers will be instructed to install NRA-approved ADS plus cantilever signage.

Was this one of the junction movements cancelled mid construction on the Cashel bypass?

I don't know the answer to that question. Up until now it has been restricted access; but since Topaz and McDonlads aquired land next to it a few months ago, they're footing the bill to make it almost full access from what I can see.

There's a nice new cantilever with exit 14 signage (Fermoy, Kilworth) up and running at the northern end of the Fermoy Bypass off-slip.

Signage is flying up on the M-F scheme. It is scheduled to open on Friday 29 May according to the Roadbridge site office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

There's a nice new cantilever with exit 14 signage (Fermoy, Kilworth) up and running at the northern end of the Fermoy Bypass off-slip.

Signage is flying up on the M-F scheme. It is scheduled to open on Friday 29 May according to the Roadbridge site office.

Great news! Now hopefully, the Dunkettle-Watergrasshill redesignations will go ahead soon.

Sorry, is that on the Fermoy Bypass or on the F-M scheme?

I'm tempted to write a whole paragraph on how wonderful this news is, but I think this sums it up pretty well:

:D

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Sorry, is that on the Fermoy Bypass or on the F-M scheme?
    On the Fermoy Bypass, i.e. the old off slip for Fermoy, now the permanent off slip for Fermoy/Kilworth. Passed by today and the lads were putting up the blue signs with a cherry picker. I beeped and waved at them to say "cool"!

I'm tempted to write a whole paragraph on how wonderful this news is, but I think this sums it up pretty well:

:D

Indeed it does. Roadbridge: what can you say really, other than that they should be building everything.

• Advertisement

On the Fermoy Bypass, i.e. the old off slip for Fermoy, now the permanent off slip for Fermoy/Kilworth. Passed by today and the lads were putting up the blue signs with a cherry picker. I beeped and waved at them to say "cool"!

Have they erected the new ADS signage as well?

Anyway, it's simply great to see this finishing up so soon. Hopefully by end May we'll know the outcome of the redesignations, and perhaps even have the M8 all the way to Dunkettle. That would be doubly fantastic.

In bad news however, I've seen no movement on the Kilworth MSA.

Have they erected the new ADS signage as well?

Not as yet.

RE Kilworth MSA, indeed, no word. I still haven't heard back from the NRA either.

Well, the M8 will desperately need an MSA come May. 130 km of motorway without an MSA is a disgrace.

Anyway, I am hoping that upon redesignation - this toll signage at J17:

3425078998_7db5779652_o.jpg

Is replaced with the new-style toll signage being used at J14 that you posted earlier:

3409513087_d4575e8688.jpg

I'd like to see a little bit of consistency.

The signage on the Watergrasshill Bypass has to go alright. Direct Route had a bit of cheek saying their signage is modern as well, though it wouldn't surprise me if they genuinely don't know how woeful their own signage really is. In addition, are you aware that you can pay the M4 toll, exit the motorway and then re-enter within three hours pro bono? That's not the case with the Fermoy Bypass though.

The signage on the Watergrasshill Bypass has to go alright. Direct Route had a bit of cheek saying their signage is modern as well, though it wouldn't surprise me if they genuinely don't know how woeful their own signage really is. In addition, are you aware that you can pay the M4 toll, exit the motorway and then re-enter within three hours pro bono? That's not the case with the Fermoy Bypass though.

I am aware, and while I doubt the majority of traffic (heading to Galway) would avail of this, it's still a nice gesture. Or it would be, were the M4 Toll not so enormous - €2.90!

DirectRoute's signage is dreadful and inconsistent with the rest of the route. Since they have no intention of replacing the signage themselves, they must either be forced to replace it or fined. It's ridiculous how they were allowed to get away with non-TSM compliant signage in the first place anyway.

And yes, the Watergrasshill signage has to go: it's funny how they list "TOLL" almost as if it's another destination. I suppose in a manner of speaking it is - but the way they have it lumped in with the other destinations makes it easy enough to miss. I much prefer the new "toll" boxes.

Looking at the specs of ADS that you post above, I've spotted a stupid error in the new M-F signage.

That ADS photo of mine you highlight above is indeed 1km away from junction 14 and is correct.

Now, look here and pay close attention to the second photo. That particular ADS says the Kilworth junction is 1km away, but in fact it isn't: it's a mere 500m away. So there will be two ADS signs both saying "1km" 500 metres apart from each other.

Looking at the specs of ADS that you post above, I've spotted a stupid error in the new M-F signage.

That ADS photo of mine you highlight above is indeed 1km away from junction 14 and is correct.

Now, look here and pay close attention to the second photo. That particular ADS says the Kilworth junction is 1km away, but in fact it isn't: it's a mere 500m away. So there will be two ADS signs both saying "1km" 500 metres apart from each other.

I thought they were both parts of the same sign.

So they've managed to find a way to mess up the signage here as well. Why does there always have to be something wrong?

I thought they were both parts of the same sign.

'Fraid not.
    So they've managed to find a way to mess up the signage here as well. Why does there always have to be something wrong?

What was that the NRA said to you about the incorrect font on the C-C on slips? They'd exact a penalty from Rennicks or words to that effect.
    It'd be fun to email the NRA and inform them of the error before the road is even open - it might freak them out a bit! But I think I'll refrain. Besides, if they were any good they'd be following this and similar threads already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The traffic levels, road width and scenery is pretty simalar to that of the Mountrath N7. Kinda ironic, two different roads. It passes through forestry around Abbeyleix as does Mountrath. Traffic through both towns are horrfic.

Thanks for putting up the links furet.

• Advertisement

What was that the NRA said to you about the incorrect font on the C-C on slips? They'd exact a penalty from Rennicks or words to that effect.
    It'd be fun to email the NRA and inform them of the error before the road is even open - it might freak them out a bit! But I think I'll refrain. Besides, if they were any good they'd be following this and similar threads already.

Well, my e-mails aren't worth answering it seems, so I'm not going to bother.

And even if we were to e-mail them - with the photographic evidence - the response would only be something along the lines of:

"All appropiate signage will be erected in accordance with the TSM."

It isn't too much of a problem. It can be fixed with a simple patch. But that's too much to ask of the NRA.

What I'm more worried about though, as I've outlined numerous times, is what happens to signage on the old N8.

Advertisement