Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are u feeling the recession?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

DonJose wrote: »

Hey! Where did I say there was no recession? I've been saying this was coming for months...not in the economists strict definition of the term, but in relation to my circle of friends and many people they know finding work thin on the ground and money being tighter...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

The recession is coming alright. It's already a major recession if you are in the building trade, not only that all the ancillary services, security etc. are severely affected from what I've heard. There will also be some manufacturing losses from continuing loss of competitiveness and no new jobs for a while from FDI due to American cutbacks (not neccessarily lay-offs, just don't see major hiring sprees any time soon). Public service employment is at peak and will be reduced steadily I'm sure, basically there's nobody to take up the labour slack at moment. All this stuff is going to knock on into every sector. Govt. doesn't have extra money so even 3rd level institutions might feel the pinch.
    It's more than the property bust, it's a global adjustment combined with the need for Ireland to do something new.

I'm with Sam? on this one, Ireland needs to add value, build up it's education system and if you were a factory or manual worker you should go back to university now. Trade people can do that or emigrate for a while or just accept a lower income which is still pretty good in my books (200+euro/day), nothing wrong with that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I just put bailer twine in my shoes because i cant afford new laces

and moved all the dead bodies into one freezer to save on electricity

Advertisement