Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are u feeling the recession?

Options
  • 21-06-2008 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

in the media day in day out we hear the celtic tigr is dead!

how bad is it really?

personally speaking i have been as yet unaffected!!luckily!

anybody out of work/unable to get work due to the recession???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

What recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I know where you're coming from. A lot of people have been selling the keys from their keyboards to buy food for their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Celtic Tiger was like a 90's boom. We're way past that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

There is no recession.

Looks like the US economy is going to pull up and avoid the recession that everyone feared.

EDIT: In the USA it's defined as two consecutive quarters of declining GDP (no idea if it's the same in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I have noticed that they are finding it impossible to sell the houses in the new estate beside me, they are getting so desperate that they are now offering a free car along with the houses. Not long ago, those houses would have been snapped up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Ponster wrote: »
    There is no recession.

Looks like the US economy is going to pull up and avoid the recession that everyone feared.

A lot of people would disagree. It's definitely a recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i dont think we're anywhere close to a recession yet...yea people have tightened their belts, but thats about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

You can do a lot nowadays to prevent this recession and this on we're threatened with is all about OIL! Time to ACTUALLY move towards renewable clean energy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

JangoFett wrote: »
    You can do a lot nowadays to prevent this recession and this on we're threatened with is all about OIL! Time to ACTUALLY move towards renewable clean energy
    Or you could just do what Pighead has done and tell the butler that his wages are going to be halved with immediate effect due to the current economic climate. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If by "recession" you mean "yore ma" then yes.
    Otherwise no.

Seriously though...yeah kinda, been very quiet initially this year in my line of work, didn't work a day of march or april...picked up a bit since, but definitely people are spending less on decorating their homes or buying new houses, consequently I'm earning less and have less disposable income, same with a lot of people in the trades and their supporting industries. The knock on effects are starting to kick in...fuel prices aren't helping either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

EDIT: In the USA it's defined as two consecutive quarters of declining GDP (no idea if it's the same in Ireland).

yeah thats the economic definition of a recession . in america though it comes down to the NBER they basically decide whether the country is in recession..if its declining for a few months they will say its in recession..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

For me it's been business as usual. Haven't felt any hit in the pocket. Thank the lord!!

deisedevil wrote: »
    For me it's been business as usual. Haven't felt any hit in the pocket. Thank the lord!!
    Thats the great thing about your line of work deisedevil. Men will always always want blowjobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Pikasso wrote: »

They must be young.
    In a real recession you'll be meeting all your mates down in the dole office or in the airport on their way to work for peanuts in another country.

Seriously, in a real recession 90% of the people you know wont have a job.

Ask anyone over 40 about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

steo123 wrote: »

how bad is it really?

I've noticed a few places closing recently. That Italian place near Fishamble Street that did pricey coffees and snacks is out of business. The olive oil shop on George's Street went about a year ago, and some of those expensive bean-bag shops and plastic-stools-for-400-euro shops will surely be gone by Christmas. I think things really are getting a bit tighter.

Pighead wrote: »
    Thats the great thing about your line of work deisedevil. Men will always always want blowjobs.

Ya, and they'll always find a way of getting the money, like cutting their butlers wages etc. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

They must be young.
    In a real recession you'll be meeting all your mates down in the dole office or in the airport on their way to work for peanuts in another country.

Ye, it definitely won't get that bad, but things have certainly gotten worse in the past 6 months, hasn't hit me personally yet but i've seen how it's affecting a few around me lately. Id say if things don't improve i'll be lucky if im not affected before the end of the year

deisedevil wrote: »
    Ya, and they'll always find a way of getting the money, like cutting their butlers wages etc. :p
    deisedevil 1 Pighead 0. You win buddy. Game set and match. Pighead wasn't expecting that. Gonna put you on the "You must never slag off these people again, because they're far too clever for you Pighead" list.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pikasso wrote: »
    Well those people will get a serious shock to the system if Ireland ever goes through an actual recession.

Pighead wrote: »
    deisedevil 1 Pighead 0. You win buddy. Game set and match. Pighead wasn't expecting that. Gonna put you on the "You must never slag off these people again, because they're far too clever for you Pighead" list.

I didn't expect that, was waiting for a lash of your sharp tongue. I'm considering myself lucky to have got away with that one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

steo123 wrote: »

The boom that began in the 90's slowed down in 2001, picked back up again in 2003 (property bubble?) and has again slowed down since 2007.

But this is just a slow-down we're looking at. Since the mid-90's Ireland is in a much better, stronger position to be able to survive a future recession should one come along (which it will, we *always*a have periods of growth followed by recession).

Things not being as good as they used to be != recession

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

They must be young.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/live-register-figures-up-almost-50000-in-past-year-1404376.html

50,000 people are feeling the pinch. Interesting to see when the CSO publish the figures for the number in employment and what has happened to average wages versus inflation.

But it is true, for most people still in work there's so much fat built into their spending, like 3 Euro for a coffee on the way into work, where there is usually a kettle. And coffee. Hugely expensive sambos for lunch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Recession? What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I wonder does pighead really have a butler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

They must be young.

Yeah, so true. And it's scarily recent how bad things were. I always associated what's in your quote with the 80s, but on Reeling in the Years 1991 the other day, there was a clip of graduates heading off to the States. One girl was saying she had a law degree and was working in McDonalds - not even an arts degree, a LAW one! In the 1993 edition, the closure of Digital in Galway was featured and a few of the redundant workers were vox popped - one of them spoke about how there wasn't a hope in hell of them being able to find work, that there were simply no jobs.
    I'm 30 but I remember much of the 80s very well and Ireland was a much, much gloomier place than it is now - even something like Dunnes Stores sums it up. Back then, it was a drab warehouse selling grey, dreary products, today it's all kitted out in high quality decor, and selling products that would rival those of some of the better quality high street retailers.

I remember kids in my class who didn't have a phone, others who didn't have a car, others who had neither - and these weren't considered particularly poor people. It was all relative. This was a comfortable, middle-class area. But Cork, where I grew up, was hit particularly badly. It was an economic blackspot - particularly when Ford and Dunlop closed in the mid 80s.

Going abroad on holidays was quite an unusual thing to do: I'm not even talking about Spain - England or Wales would have been enough. We were considered quite well off because we had two phones and two cars (although my mum's car would always be a bit of a jalopy) and we went to Britain every year (I could even see the massive gap in wealth between Thatcher's Britain and Ireland back then as a small child). My brothers went to a private school in the 80s/early 90s and they knew a number of lads whose dads lost their jobs.
    We were lucky, as my dad was employed by the government - it seems if you were working for a private company you were on shaky ground.

Right now I can see it in terms of property all right - so many For Sale signs and they are just not coming down. Other than that, life is pretty sweet compared to how it was 20 years ago. However I'm glad I work for a university - it could be a vulnerable time for some companies within the private sector. But nothing like before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No, cos I'm not a builder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

The US has temporarily staved off serious economic troubles by making a huge fund available for banks to dip into if they find themselves in trouble. This cannot be sustained, or they'll drive inflation through the roof and end up worse off than they were before. I emphasise the word "temporarily".
    Thats a full blown depression, not a recession.
    But this is just a slow-down we're looking at. Since the mid-90's Ireland is in a much better, stronger position to be able to survive a future recession should one come along (which it will, we *always*a have periods of growth followed by recession).
    Ireland is in a terrible position. When a fifth of your economy is people selling houses to each other, and a large slice of the rest is dependent on foreign companies that can uproot and go to cheaper climes on a whim, you are not in a good position. The easing of global credit restrictions in 2001 flooded the system with cheap money, making our survivability a shaky proposition at best, since all that money needs to be repaid, starting around mid 2007.

On a personal level, I have a variety of commercial interests throughout the country that deal directly with businesses, so I'd be on the forefront of recessionary effects, unlike your average consumer who will be insulated for a while.

We're seeing competitors and clients closing up on all sides, and payments coming in are either being deferred for weeks or months longer than usual, or simply filed under bad debts. Even from normally very dependable clients. It seems that even the talk of a recession is closing wallets left, right and centre. Compared to last year, turnover has dropped considerably. Happily we are well diversified, but for less resilient groups you are looking at redundancies and closures. If you take the cheap money out of the equation, surprise surprise, very few have any money left.

So yes, the recession is being felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dave! wrote: »
    No, cos I'm not a builder
    Or an estate agent...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

They just announced 106 extra jobs where I work.

Advertisement