Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design Pricing

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

The sites look okay to me, and we've all had clients who have very firm ideas on colours. I've done some sites with garish colours - not what I would have used, but the customer is always right! I just don't put a link to my site in the footer :)

The validation is another matter and as webmonkey says, it pays dividends in reducing cross-browser compatibility issues.

I do doubt the OP's ability to produce 15 sites like the examples posted in a week. I think 2 might be more like it. If he can do 15 of them a week, I might be outsourcing all design work to him, tweaking the finished product, and making a huge profit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

squibs wrote: »
    I do doubt the OP's ability to produce 15 sites like the examples posted in a week. I think 2 might be more like it. If he can do 15 of them a week, I might be outsourcing all design work to him, tweaking the finished product, and making a huge profit :)

Sounds like your clients will be getting a great deal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

WebExpert wrote: »
    Hi,

Here is a 2nd one, this one took 9 hours. Its a related company to the above. Some changes were made from the original design but I did the full template:

www. futumeter.ie/

In an effort of being cruel to be kind - this is terrible.
    Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WebExpert

squibs wrote: »

Thats exactly my idea. Website companies should be exploiting free lancers by getting them to do cheap work and make the "extra" changes themselves. If they want validation, I can do that too but I will charge a small bit extra. It shouldn't be hard for a web design company to take a decent design and turn it into the polished finished designs that are mentioned here.

I put it this way to you squibs; give me 10 deisgn on a Monday with a clear outline and I will give you back all 10 on the Friday done to the standard you see, maybe a grade better. If you give me 15 designs on the Monday I will have them done to the standard shown by the following Monday.

The question is are my standards ok for you.

On a separate note; Im not in competition with any of you as I am trying the Northern Ireland market (I am from Donegal). I would appreciate any help and advice on how to attract new business. Do you guys get any or much business by having a highly ranked website? I mean do many businesses use the Internet to find web designers? What other means do you use? I suppose networking is very important.

Thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

On a separate note; Im not in competition with any of you as I am trying the Northern Ireland market (I am from Donegal)

No, you're not, and Donegal has nothing to do with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

heggie wrote: »
    No, you're not, and Donegal has nothing to do with it

Agreed

heggy and irock; please post your portfolios and link to your web design companies. If you cannot do this then we know that you are afraid of web deisgners entering the market at these prices. Please post your portfolio if you think that your portfolios are so good. :)

iRock wrote: »
    Agreed

I think someone has been telling some porkies :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53303222&postcount=1

why? i dont need validation from you. I'm not looking for advice.

why? i dont need validation from you. I'm not looking for advice.

Then there is no substance behind your comments. Like all other negative posters on here you have posted no examples of your own work up to back up your point of view. By the way Adverts.ie has 857 validation errors. :pac:

• Advertisement

you're really not getting what's being said here, and you're doomed to failure. You can take my comments or leave them (which you obviously have).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Nice attitude you have there. You've been offered heaps of constructive criticism in this thread. Why aren't you being appreciative of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Then there is no substance behind your comments. Like all other negative posters on here you have posted no examples of your own work up to back up your point of view. By the way Adverts.ie has 857 validation errors. :pac:
    They are not pimping for business and expert advice, you are. They don't have to show you anything, judging by your replies it doesn't seem that you are willing to take on board any criticism, so why should anyone bother? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Deleted post

you're really not getting what's being said here, and you're doomed to failure.

+1

Like most people starting out in the industry, you don't seem to realise how much you have to learn, how much better you will need to be and you seem to think you're about to take over the world. The fact of the matter is that your sites aren't to a professional standard. Far, far, far, far from it. Accept this and then push yourself to be better. But if you think my criticism is unfair and that you're actually any good then, as heggie said, you're doomed to failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Like most people starting out in the industry, you don't seem to realise how much you have to learn, how much better you will need to be and you seem to think you're about to take over the world. The fact of the matter is that your sites aren't to a professional standard. Far, far, far, far from it. Accept this and then push yourself to be better. But if you think my criticism is unfair and that you're actually any good then, as heggie said, you're doomed to failure.

+1

Thanks for all replies. I am learning and improving. I have just completed my own site and it took me a half hour to validate it which is not that much extra time on. The portfolio I gave does not do my expertise justice as the companies in question made their own changes. Also, the colour schemes were their choice. Nevertheless I do see some issues but I can correct these. They are not big issues, I don't think so anyway. :)

Thanks for all replies. I am learning and improving. I have just completed my own site and it took me a half hour to validate it which is not that much extra time on.

Fair play. Validating code is one thing though. Understanding semantic, meaningful markup, using nested headings and giving the document as much clarity for machines as well as humans is the next step up. These are the basic building blocks of the Web, so get Googling and learn a bit about why you're using Web standards as opposed to just hacking your code so that it validates.
    The portfolio I gave does not do my expertise justice as the companies in question made their own changes. Also, the colour schemes were their choice. Nevertheless I do see some issues but I can correct these. They are not big issues, I don't think so anyway. :)

Don't make excuses. I've had lots of my work butchered by clients over the years myself. The trick is not to let on that you actually did any of it - don't put it in your portfolio, don't post it on forums, etc. Only hang your hat on the work that you didn't have to sacrifice your professional integrity for.

Saying that the 'portfolio you gave' doesn't do your expertise justice is incredibly arrogant and, as I said before, you aren't an expert. You're an amateur. There's nothing wrong with that but if you don't accept it and continue to delude yourself then, as has already been said, you're doomed to failure. There's no need to keep defending yourself. Just admit that you're not producing '8/10' websites and endeavor to get better.

Despite what you might think, this is good advice mate. If you want to rise up above the monkeys then you have to be realistic about your abilities.

PS - Consider getting a copy of Transcending CSS and Web Standards Solutions, they'll help you no end.

PS - Consider getting a copy of Transcending CSS and Web Standards Solutions, they'll help you no end.

Thanks Ken for all your advice :)

• Advertisement

you've come around a bit, so heres a couple more resources. Keep an eye on some great blogs, there's andy rutledge, mark boulton (excellent for grid systems etc), veerle pieters, a list apart to name a few. Also, check out andy's podcasts which can be good, along with info at freelanceswitch if you are serious about starting a career

you've come around a bit, so heres a couple more resources. Keep an eye on some great blogs, there's andy rutledge, mark boulton (excellent for grid systems etc), veerle pieters, a list apart to name a few. Also, check out andy's podcasts which can be good, along with info at freelanceswitch if you are serious about starting a career

Thanks Heggie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 conordarcy

I'd like to see your portfolio. If your that fast (and cheap) and any good design wise we may be able to throw some web design work your way.

innovativeoptions.ie

lol @conordarcy, blatant seo tactic! nice site tho

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Ken/Laslo, I think you'd be a great man for a web desginers version of Dragon's Den ;)

CuLT wrote: »
    Ken/Laslo, I think you'd be a great man for a web desginers version of Dragon's Den ;)

Or Gordon Ramsay's F-Word.

Advertisement