Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design Pricing

Options
  • 21-06-2008 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,

I have set up a website design company in the north of the country. There are too many web designers so the market is very competitive. Its a tough area.

Anyway, for the first few websites that I have designed I have charged around €350 and €50 per year for domain registration and shared hosting. These were static sites with the only programming really being a PHP contact form. I optimised it for SEs and also am running a link building campaign for free. For any dynamic sites I would charge anything between €600 and €6000 depending on what is needed.

Are these rates too cheap? What generally are the going rates?

Also, at the rates specified above do you think it would be possible for me to get sub-contract work from other web design companies? I can do a maximum of 15 10 page static websites per week so its just a matter of getting the business. I know that the work I do will match any web design company in the country.

Thanks for any advice, I would be very interested in hearing from other web designers.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

WebExpert wrote: »
    Are these rates too cheap?

Probably. It all depends on the quality of the work you're turning around.
    Also, at the rates specified above do you think it would be possible for me to get sub-contract work from other web design companies?...I know that the work I do will match any web design company in the country.

That's a fairly bold statement. Even if Irish Web shops are mostly crap. If you're as good as you think you are then PM me your portfolio and I'll throw plenty of work your way. However...
    I can do a maximum of 15 10 page static websites per week

Are you talking about bespoke designs? That's two per day which is, quite frankly, ridiculous. Professional designers generally take at least 3 or 4 days to come up with concepts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WebExpert

Hi Mighty Ken,

You can put me to the test, I would have no problem doing 1 free website for you to prove the quality of my design. That way you have nothing to lose. ;)

Normally it actually does take me 3 to 4 days to turn around a full website especially if a lot of changes are required. However, in that time I could be working on another 3 to 4 also. The actual look and design of the final designs are always extremely professional. The delay is usually caused by the client wanting face to face meetings and a lot of paperwork. To date I have only officially done a few websites, Im basically a free lance designer. I would ask for 5 days for a 10 page static website just to make sure I get it right.

The 10-15 is possible but as you say the overall level of the service may lack a professional approach i.e. no reports on the work, sloppy content etc.

I am currently updating my new website and will PM you a link Monday or Tuesday. I have done work in Ireland, Northern Ireland, England and Portugal. It was simply through contacts that I got this work but I now realise there is potential for me, especially as a free lance due to my rates and quality of the work.

Thanks for your reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I echo Ken's scepticism regarding the speed of production vs quality. (I.e. Fast/Good/Cheap - pick any two.) I'm also interested in seeing your portfolio.

There was an interesting thread on website pricing here, feel free to read it, but please don't pull up old arguments again or we'll have to lock this one as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'd be interested to see how one could come up with possibly 10 - 15 designs in a week. Be interested in seeing your portfolio OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

You can put me to the test, I would have no problem doing 1 free website for you to prove the quality of my design. That way you have nothing to lose.

That's your first mistake right there. You should never work for free and I would never expect you to. It cheapens the industry. This isn't a cottage industry and you're not baking scones by the way. The crafting of a professional website to a level that I would consider acceptable requires a massive wealth of knowledge on both the creative and technical ends. The triviality with which you seem to be carrying out your trade makes me very skeptical. However, PM me the link to your portfolio and prove me wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Would also be interested in your portfolio as have work to outsource from time to time but would be skeptical if you say you can turn around a site in 3 to 4 days while also working on other sites. But as Ken said you can prove me wrong. Look forward to seeing your work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I could see someone doing 10 designs in a week ... but 10 coded designs ... conforming to standards and all being unique (to a certain degree at least) and pages / content / images ... and so on

While also dealing with customers ...

I'm looking forward to seeing the portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

forbairt wrote: »
    I could see someone doing 10 designs in a week ... but 10 coded designs ... conforming to standards and all being unique (to a certain degree at least) and pages / content / images ... and so on

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

forbairt wrote: »

+2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Yep me too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

/me awaits bubblesque webpage(s)ireland site to appear shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BRENSH

Personally i would be able to build (programming wise) professional and intelligent websites. I have a very strong knowledge of Javascript and PHP. I am only a student in university and I dont think it takes an amazing wealth of knowledge. It took me a year to know the basics. I am now fairly good and the programming side of it. My biggest problem is design. If I got a spec I would be able to wip up something.
    To get to my point I don't think learning professional grade web design isnt too difficult at all. I think the prices are very high considering some of the prices. Like a web page is made up of a knowledge of client side language, databases, server side language, security knowledge, some mark up language and communication protcols knowledge. If you see my website. That was made a long time ago so dont judge me by that. I am not talking about the likes of google or anything. Just companies that design website for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

BRENSH wrote:
    Like a web page is made up of a knowledge of client side language, databases, server side language, security knowledge, some mark up language and communication protcols knowledge.
    This is development. These focus on design. There is a world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

BRENSH wrote: »
    Personally i would be able to build (programming wise) professional and intelligent websites. I have a very strong knowledge of Javascript and PHP. I am only a student in university and I dont think it takes an amazing wealth of knowledge. It took me a year to know the basics. I am now fairly good and the programming side of it. My biggest problem is design. If I got a spec I would be able to wip up something.
    To get to my point I don't think learning professional grade web design isnt too difficult at all. I think the prices are very high considering some of the prices. Like a web page is made up of a knowledge of client side language, databases, server side language, security knowledge, some mark up language and communication protcols knowledge. If you see my website. That was made a long time ago so dont judge me by that. I am not talking about the likes of google or anything. Just companies that design website for others.
    Was http://irishradioportal.com/ done by you?

Thanks for all the replies. I will PM everyone in a few days with a link to my own website and portfolio. The portfolio will be small but should get the design capabilities across to you. The websites in the portfolio will range from 7 to 8 out of 10. I am capable of going up a few notches. Nevertheless I think that at least some of you will find my designs up to standard.

If there is anyone else that would like to see a small taste of my work please either reply here or PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

WebExpert wrote:
    I will PM everyone in a few days with a link to my own website and portfolio.
    Why not just post it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I'd be interested in seeing your portfolio.

Why not just post it?

I may do in a week or two but I would like to get some private feedback first before going all out public with it. Just my preference. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

WebExpert, Id like to see your portfolio

Id like to see where everyone is at and to compare it to my own work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

turgon wrote: »
    WebExpert, Id like to see your portfolio

Id like to see where everyone is at and to compare it to my own work etc.

Me too, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BRENSH

Yes it as. About a year ago. I learned a lot since then. There are a lot of faults with though. Its not very extensible. I try to use the zend framework. About design I am useless at it. I have been meaning to improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Sounds like a piss take.
    Post your portfolio here. I will eat my boxer shorts if you a producing 2 high quality bespoke static website a day.
    Post your portfolio link here :)

Its not a joke, I can do 2 websites per day - 2 static websites that look professional and tidy. I work long hours at present anyway, mostly doing private software systems for a few companies. Also, I can work most weekends.

My portfolio will be small but will give an idea of what Im capable of. I think you will be pleased with the quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

post a link or stop touting your services, its very easy to say all that -even post one site/layout you've done. 2 websites per day (of good quality) is unheard of

Hi,

Ok, I will post one.

Ive done www dot isasensing .co.uk

The contact page doesn't exist, they are going to do this themselves as its on their server. I did everything on that website aprt from some graphics taken from their Portugeese website.

The above website, I would rate it about 8/10 but it was done quickly. 7 hours over 3 days I think.

Please let me know what you think, I know its far from perfect but professional and tidy enough for quick work.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Looks like i wont be eating my boxer shorts :)
    I don't mean this to sound bad (just don't have the time to word it nicely).
    I personally would rate that site at about 3/10.
    I much prefer the Portuguese site: www.isa.pt

It's better than something an average Joe would make but you could do an awful lot better. It's a little chunky and clumsy looking, and the red has permanently burnt a hole in my retina. Also it doesn't render properly in firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

nikimere wrote: »
    the red has permanently burnt a hole in my retina.

+1 ... I thought I might have been just tired or something ... I don't think I can see right after viewing that for a minute :D

Ok,

thanks very much for the feedback.

The red was not my idea.

:)

nikimere wrote: »
    Looks like i wont be eating my boxer shorts :)
    I don't mean this to sound bad (just don't have the time to word it nicely).
    I personally would rate that site at about 3/10.
    I much prefer the Portuguese site: www.isa.pt

It's better than something an average Joe would make but you could do an awful lot better. It's a little chunky and clumsy looking, and the red has permanently burnt a hole in my retina. Also it doesn't render properly in firefox.

If you would rate this 3/10 then I would like to see the websites you rate 8/10 :)

• Advertisement

Hi,

Here is a 2nd one, this one took 9 hours. Its a related company to the above. Some changes were made from the original design but I did the full template:

www. futumeter.ie/

Advertisement