Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No money in taxiing? Best Taxi you have seen?

Options
  • 19-06-2008 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Been meaning to post this for a while, the straw that broke the camels back was a 07 Chrysler 300 yesterday in town ! Hats off to the man but hey it certainly makes a mockery of the struggle that most taxi drivers are undergoing at the moment.

I've also seen more than a few 04-06 5 series knocking around :eek:

I'm just waiting to see a Hummer now :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I think we've all seen a few freaky exceptions, but my office looks out at a taxi rank and 99.9% of the cars are all Magnolia cars, 3-5 year old Avensis, Mondeos, C5's, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are a good few MB S-Class and Lexus LS used as taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

There was a Bentley taxi I saw in Ringsend. Post it a while ago here, few believed it claiming it to be a Chrysler 300. Alas, it was finally snapped and shown to be a Bentley after all. Don't know if you can really get classier than that! Doubt he would have stopped if I hailed him though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Merc S class, Beemer 5 series. Standard ones you see hanging around the Four Seasons, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

ive seen the MB 08 Sclass, its generally around the shelbourne hotel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I wonder if these expensive taxis are actually chauffeur driven company cars taking advantage of the bus lanes like one Michael O'Leary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

jayok wrote: »
    There was a Bentley taxi I saw in Ringsend. Post it a while ago here, few believed it claiming it to be a Chrysler 300. Alas, it was finally snapped and shown to be a Bentley after all. Don't know if you can really get classier than that! Doubt he would have stopped if I hailed him though.

Unless it was a Fat Cat getting use of the bus lanes by having a taxi sign on the roof, I'd be 99.9% certain that it was a 300C with a Bentley Grill on the front, and possibly, if the driver was sad enough to badge it as a Bentley at the back too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

i wont lie, if i had the money id do the same! sitting in traffic eats up my precious time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

So would you prefer to be driven around in a 96 Honda Civic which i refused to take as I am 6 ft plus. If they were driving crap no doubt the OP would be posting that here too

Victor_M wrote: »
    Unless it was a Fat Cat getting use of the bus lanes by having a taxi sign on the roof, I'd be 99.9% certain that it was a 300C with a Bentley Grill on the front, and possibly, if the driver was sad enough to badge it as a Bentley at the back too.

You've hit the 0.1% then - it was a Bentley. Photographic proof was found an posted on these boards. A search should reveal all.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Seen that Chrysler a good few times around town. Never any passengers in it. I reckon it's someone taking advantage of the cheap tax and the bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ahh the old argument raises it's head again.

"I thought there was no money in taxiing but how come they can afford nice new cars?"
    Same as....
    I thought there was no money in farming but how come they can afford nice big new tractors?"

They're tools of the trade and places of work. They sit in them for long hours and need them to be economical, reliable and comfortable. There even might be the odd few that take pride in their work. As said by another poster said, would you prefer to be picked up in a pile of $hite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Saw an Accord Type R taxi in Lucan Village a couple of weeks ago, didn't make much sense to me but each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Some taxi drivers are just into cars & use their dream car as a taxi. It doesn't always wor out for them though. Others are actually Limos, I doubt that the Bentley photographed in the thread mentioned above ever has a taxi sign on the roof. A previous poster is correct in saying that all PSVs have that yellow sticker in the rear window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Same as others, LOADS of 5 series', and a few S-Classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

jayok wrote: »
    You've hit the 0.1% then - it was a Bentley. Photographic proof was found an posted on these boards. A search should reveal all.

In fairness you were right, there have been so many 300C - Bentley sightings I just presumed that was another one.

If Nialler's sums are right then surely it would make sense for everyone to take this approach, can 2 door cars get a limo/taxi license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kaizersoze wrote: »

They're tools of the trade and places of work. They sit in them for long hours and need them to be economical, reliable and comfortable. There even might be the odd few that take pride in their work. As said by another poster said, would you prefer to be picked up in a pile of $hite?

I sincerely doubt a 300c is the best in any of those catagories, let alone all 3.

Brother of one of my mates taxi's one of them. Been in it and it wouldnt be my choice of luxury car at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

DonJose wrote: »
    I wonder if these expensive taxis are actually chauffeur driven company cars taking advantage of the bus lanes like one Michael O'Leary!

He's the one with the black '08 S class anyhow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Saw an 2008 S500 Taxi outside the merrion today while on lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

i know there is an AMG E Class out there somewhere also, nice... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Victor_M wrote: »
    I'd be 99.9% certain that it was a 300C with a Bentley Grill on the front
    It's a Bentley. I've seen it several times and I know the difference between a Bentley and a Chrysler.
    Others are actually Limos
    Yes. I'm not sure if the rules changed lately but most of the top end taxis regularly double as limousines. When business in slack, the throw up the roof sign and join the rank. There are many 300Cs operating as taxis in Dublin. Here is one at Dublin Airport on limousine duties. I saw five of them parked together one day awaiting a VIP delegation.

Chrysler300CBlack.jpg
    Holsten wrote: »
    Same as others, LOADS of 5 series', and a few S-Classes.
    I've noticed a few 5 series lately also. They used to be quite rare as taxis in Dublin anyway although Cork always had a few.

I'm 99% sure I saw a Lexus LS460 taxi recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There was a 20 seater taxi spotted in Cork last weekend :D

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/taxi-had-19-kids-packed-into-vehicle-1415128.html

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

A certain Mr Hutch - who I believe now occasionally drives a stretch Hummer limo - used a Lexus R class when he first got his plate.

I was told this by a cabbie who went out of his way to drive me by said Lexus outside Heuston Station. The cabbie was quite apoplectic about it as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nmacc wrote: »
    A certain Mr Hutch - who I believe now occasionally drives a stretch Hummer limo - used a Lexus R class when he first got his plate.

As in a Lexus RX300? Saw one of those as a taxi in Dublin before, maybe it was him!

I also saw a Pajero Sport and a Trooper as a taxi too. strange choices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I was sure he was pictured driving a w210 Merc when he started taxiing. Anyway wasn't he only at it for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nmacc wrote: »
    by a cabbie who went out of his way to drive me by said Lexus
    ....and presumably he charged nicely for the pleasure! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »
    As in a Lexus RX300? Saw one of those as a taxi in Dublin before, maybe it was him!

I also saw a Pajero Sport and a Trooper as a taxi too. strange choices!

Theres an antara and an accent with plates park in Summerhill the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Imagine paying to be in a Hyundai Accent!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement