Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best all rounder virus/security package.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭koolkakool

if you want free, Avira Antivir is good.(i have it)
    kapersky is supposed to be good, but its not free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

axer wrote: »
    Unfortunately that is not enough. You do need software to protect you also.
    emot-tinfoil.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Sherifu wrote: »
    emot-tinfoil.gif
    You don't believe me?

You don't believe me?
    I disagree with you. But in this case i'd say the OP should go with whatever they feel safest with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

You'd be surprised. I've a friend who's normally a very intelligent person who insists that because his PC is running Windows ME that he's OK. Hesus Wept.

Anyway, I use Eset Smart Security. Haven't had any problems with it. I put Avast (free AV) on a computer that's in narrowband hell and only goes online once a week - seems to be working fine as well.

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »
    I disagree with you. But in this case i'd say the OP should go with whatever they feel safest with.
    You think that "Common sense + good browsing habits" is enough to keep out security threats - any extra security protection is paranoia? I don't think you understand the security threats being connected to the internet brings even with "Common sense + good browsing habits".

You think that "Common sense + good browsing habits" is enough to keep out security threats - any extra security protection is paranoia? I don't think you understand the security threats being connected to the internet brings even with "Common sense + good browsing habits".
    I'm not gonna drag this thread anymore off topic. I will remain unprotected. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

A couple of years ago I went online to look up something for my dad. Something to do with boat engines I think. Next thing, my anti-virus popped up - there was some sort of virus embedded in the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Kaspersky

Firetrap wrote: »
    A couple of years ago I went online to look up something for my dad. Something to do with boat engines I think. Next thing, my anti-virus popped up - there was some sort of virus embedded in the website.
    Exactly, a website can look harmless including its domain name looking harmless and still be a security threat. Often innocent websites are hacked to include code that downloads spyware and/or viruses to the visitors computers without the knowledge of the innocent website owner.

By the time a visitor realises that a website doesnt look innocent despite its domain name looking innocent it may already be too late.

To suggest that protection is not needed is ludicrous.

OP: keep a look out for special offers from Kaspersky. I have seen 50% off offers from them recently.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Don't really need AV if you have safe browsing practices, But its nice to have AVG to scan certain erm downloads to be on the safe side ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

+1 for Kaspersky, installed it a year ago and very happy with it.

Advertisement