Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best all rounder virus/security package.

Options
  • 18-06-2008 10:24pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you could only have one program on your pc to take care of the basic essential security threats on the net, what would it be? I want something non intrusive, I hate when Norton etc wants your attention every 5 minutes.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I swear by Avira for low cpu & ram imprint, fast scanning with very high detection rate. The free version lacks a spyware scanner but i just use superantispyware

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've been using windows live one care from Microsoft for 2 years on 2 laptops and 1 pc, I've never had a problem with any of them and there all running just as quick as when they first came out of the box, I can't recommend this product highly enough....

Microsoft made windows so who better to keep it in tip top shape.....

My pet hates are, bullguard, norton, mcafee, anyone using these needs there head examined....

fixing pc's now for 2 years and not one complaint about one care and a lot of happy trouble free customers....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

it's still hard to beat common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Personally I use Eset Smart Security ( NOD32)
    http://www.eset.com/download/registered_software.php
    Make sure you download the free 30 day trial of the smart security not just anti virus,smart security has firewall anti spam etc.

So far I'm the only free suggestion :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    So far I'm the only free suggestion :D

mines also free...:P

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I use Kaspersky, which seems pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Kaspersky or Eset Smart Security

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pdevo

+1 Eset Smart Security

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

+1 more for ESET Smart Security. Although I do think that a mixture of standalone products will provide superior protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,898 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My laptop came with 18 months of Norton Internet security. Not the cheapest or most popular solution but it works; Firewall, Anti-Virus, Spyware, Crimeware, Phising Protection, etc.

Norton of course is a big name and so there will inevitably be someone trying to crack at it but you will get that with any AV package: the most popular can be the most dangerous, because it attracts the most attention. My only beef with it is it can be resource hungry when it performs a scan, but 99% of the time its never a bother; and unlike McAfee - no terribly annoying startup splash-screen.

Fortunately though I've had a good year with Norton and anytime I've had to contact customer support they were quick, smart, and friendly.

---

with regard to free protection, I've been setting up my mom's old machine etc. so I've been up to some research on the subject. For a start it seems that Avast offers more protection than AVG: Avast, offers up (Free) Anti Spyware And Rootkit, which you wont see in the freeware of AVG. Finally, some actual reason to dislike AVG besides me hating the way it looks and makes noise every time it finds an update :rolleyes:

For Firewall packages, I chose to install Comodo to give it a lash. It seems to have a lot of bells and whistles and can offer up pretty draconian levels of protection if you really want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Eset nod32 antivirus with zonealarm. Although I didn't realise there was an eset suite that has a firewall, so I must have to check that out sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

+1 for Kaspersky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

+1 nod32

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

I find Panda to be excellent

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I swear by Avira for low cpu & ram imprint, fast scanning with very high detection rate. The free version lacks a spyware scanner but i just use superantispyware
    Good advice here, they would be my reccomendations aswell,

Nick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Kaspersky ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

if you wash out the inside of your machine with the garden hose, it washes away all the viruses !!

really.....i read it somewhere !!!:D

daftdave wrote: »
    if you wash out the inside of your machine with the garden hose, it washes away all the viruses !!

:D

Ireland says No to Viruses - I demand all computers to leave the country or face the wrath of Dave and his mighty hose...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I've been using windows live one care from Microsoft for 2 years on 2 laptops and 1 pc, I've never had a problem with any of them and there all running just as quick as when they first came out of the box, I can't recommend this product highly enough....

Microsoft made windows so who better to keep it in tip top shape.....

My pet hates are, bullguard, norton, mcafee, anyone using these needs there head examined....

fixing pc's now for 2 years and not one complaint about one care and a lot of happy trouble free customers....

Do they have a vista version?

Namesco wrote: »
    Do they have a vista version?

Yea the one version does it all, i've one pc on xp, one on vista basic and one on vista ultimate, I can see what's the status of any of the pc's is from mine, It also links up your printers over the internet so you can print from anywhere....can be very handy....

It takes a bit to download, you then need to update your version of windows, one care takes care of that, then you need to do a virus scan and then a tune up......then you pc is 100% and safe as a safe house......ohh and it's free for the first 3mts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

1st. Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
    2nd. Eset Smart Security

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Common sense + good browsing habits.

Sherifu wrote: »

+1, I read this, from Gizmo, thought i'd post it here for all u tank drivers :)
    That's because the main way I protect my PC is not with good security products but rather with good security practices.

I regard protecting your PC from infection to be analogous to crossing a busy road unharmed. Stepping onto the road is like logging on to the internet. Crossing safely is like avoiding infection; you don't want to get hit.

Now there are two ways of crossing that road:

The first way is to be very careful about where you cross and to be watchful and aware of the dangers. In other words, make sure you don't get hit.

Another approach is to protect yourself with something like an army tank and cross anywhere, anytime. If you get hit, you rely on the tank to protect you.

Now no sensible person would adopt the latter approach to crossing a road, yet when it comes to computer security that's exactly what most folks do.

"Hey man, I'm using the latest McNortsky Super Security suite and nine other security scanners. I can do anything I want on the net and I'm invincible"

Sorry baby, you are not. You are the guy in the tank crossing the road who's about to get trashed by a big interstate semi.

I know. I've witnessed that accident many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

+1 to the 'safe practices' people - I was one of those till I got badly burnt.
    I am happy with my choice (Kaspersky) and am not a fanboy at all.

YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Yea the one version does it all, i've one pc on xp, one on vista basic and one on vista ultimate, I can see what's the status of any of the pc's is from mine, It also links up your printers over the internet so you can print from anywhere....can be very handy....

It takes a bit to download, you then need to update your version of windows, one care takes care of that, then you need to do a virus scan and then a tune up......then you pc is 100% and safe as a safe house......ohh and it's free for the first 3mts...

do you work for microsoft or are you just a happy customer?? !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Sherifu
    +1 and noscript + spywareblaster .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Sherifu wrote: »
    Unfortunately that is not enough. You do need software to protect you also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,898 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Zascar wrote: »
    If you could only have one program on your pc to take care of the basic essential security threats on the net, what would it be? I want something non intrusive, I hate when Norton etc wants your attention every 5 minutes.
    Any suggestions?

Ive never found that to be the case. just set your updates to automatic and you never hear a peep out of the protection center.

Advertisement