Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

before you turn off sky sports for the summer...

Options
  • 18-06-2008 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭

I rang sky last night with the intention of cancelling sky sports until the football season restarts.
    I currently have all the sky sports channels and the usual others (6mixes)
    and this costs me 58 per month.
    I also planned on getting rid of the style and culture mix and the kids mix which wouldve reduced my package to 26eu.
    However, the sky rep made me an offer that if i kept sky sports 1-3+xtra
    and the 6 mixes that i could have them for 35euro a month for the next three
    months and then it would revert to its original price.
    Brilliant offer considering i wouldve been swithing it back on mid august
    for the charity shield anyway.
    The offer applies only when you have six mixes with sky sports and depending on the rep you might not even be offered it so be sure to ask
    as my own next door neighbour wasnt offered this until i intervened (yet he had no intentions of turning off his sports so now he keeps it all for less).
    its genuine...keep sky sports and get 23euro off your sky package for
    the next three months so make sure you request sky sports to be turned off
    and then ask about the offer if they dont tell you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It does happen where they will turn your channels off. A deal is not guaranteed. The Charity Shield is on Setanta from next season btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

didnt realise setanta had the charity shield
    a deal may not be guaranteed but if i got it and the neighbour got
    it the i dont see why anyone else cant.
    nothing to lose by trying

That is true but anybody calling should not be 100% expecting what you got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

depends on the the sky rep at the end of the phone. In my experience the irish call centre has more leverage and is more quick to give you a retention deal. but its a lottery as to whether you get the irish scottish or indian call centre if you ring the normal number .

no, but you can enquire before you threaten to turn it off.
    They might even tell you about it

• Advertisement

depends on the the sky rep at the end of the phone. In my experience the irish call centre has more leverage and is more quick to give you a retention deal. but its a lottery as to whether you get the irish scottish or indian call centre if you ring the normal number .

i got the scottish call centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

I cancelled mines last month and all I got was

"...and there is no one in your house interested in watching golf or cricket?"

:D

I cancelled mines last month and all I got was

"...and there is no one in your house interested in watching golf or cricket?"

:D

every other year i have cancelled as soon as the footie end but this year
    i left it on until the us open.
    Every other year there was no offer either and needless to say i was
    asked this time why i wanted it turned off to which i replied
    "i hate wwe, cricket and nascar and that ye have given the american
    golf to setanta and im not crazy bout watchin former players playing
    indoor football"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry to bump this but just to let you know that I rang to cancel the sports package and the guy told me they had an offer running that if I kept the sports I would get it for half price for the next 3 months.

Present package costs me €52/month. After canceling the sports I would have been paying €22/month but now Im going to pay €37 for the next 3 moths and retain the sports channels.

He also told me that the prices are going up again in September.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

muffler wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this but just to let you know that I rang to cancel the sports package and the guy told me they had an offer running that if I kept the sports I would get it for half price for the next 3 months.

Present package costs me €52/month. After canceling the sports I would have been paying €22/month but now Im going to pay €37 for the next 3 moths and retain the sports channels.

I also got this offer just now. Prices are going up by €3 in September. I currently have the 6mix with the sports for €58p/m. My next 3 months will consist of:
    July 7th €58.00
    Aug 7th €2.38:D:D:D
    Sept 7th €47.29

I also mentioned to him that Sky's current exchange rates are way off and asked him to pass on my comments to the revelant dept, a waste of time I know but if enough people complain about it they may do something about it.

The full package over in the UK is £45 p/m which is €57 at todays rates where as we have to pay €68p/m.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    The full package over in the UK is £45 p/m which is €57 at todays rates where as we have to pay €68p/m.

That is scandalous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

on the other hand at current rate of 1 euro equals 0.79 pound sterling the minimum package is £16 which is €20.25 about even.
    but from there the difference gets big.... 20 pounds which would be 25.32 euro but they charge 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

I rang to cancel there, asked what deals they have.

Got offered 48 for the next 3 months, instead of 69!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

glineli wrote: »
    I rang to cancel there, asked what deals they have.

Got offered 48 for the next 3 months, instead of 69!!! :D

Thats ok if there is anything you would actually watch on sports in the next couple of months!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

muffler wrote: »

I'm on the same package as yourself @ €52, I rang up before the end of the season and got the 15 euro off for 3 months.

Rang back today, and was offered 10% off for 6 months, or 20% off for 12 months.

Not a bad saving if you're willing to tie into a longer contract, and it brings down the cost to €41.6/month.

Makes it more manageable as setanta is on top of that.

Just rang Setanta, and they've give me my sub for €7.50 for next 6 months :)

So, basically:

Sky - was €52, now €41.6
    Setanta - was €19.99, now €7.50 (for 6 months)

from those two phone calls, I've saved €137.4 for the next 6 months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Gawd!

How I wish I still had my satellite dish. Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

I got a call from Sky yesterday offering me movies and sports for half price for 3 months. No commitment after 3 months but the minimum term is 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

zAbbo wrote: »
    Just rang Setanta, and they've give me my sub for €7.50 for next 6 months :)

So, basically:

Sky - was €52, now €41.6
    Setanta - was €19.99, now €7.50 (for 6 months)

from those two phone calls, I've saved €137.4 for the next 6 months :)

Looks like the deals are back so.
    About time.
    To be fair though €60 per month for those channels is still grossly overpriced in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Alright lads do i ring Sky to get Setanta put on or is there a number for Setanta themselves ?

• Advertisement

Looks like the deals are back so.
    About time.
    To be fair though €60 per month for those channels is still grossly overpriced in my opinion.

Not im my opinion, considering it's actually €49 a month, where I was paying €72 and I'm a big rugby + football fan so I get good value from Setanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Cheers Mossy Monk, when i rang them they said they were no deals at present and it was the 19.99 a month

Just tell them Sky have offered you Sky Sports for a lot less, and you're only going to buy one package...

The full Sky Sports package is 30, while Setanta is 20.

It's end of month target time, keep ringing to you get someone interesting in giving you a decent price.

I was already a Setanta customer, so go through to the retention team, told them I was gonna drop them as Sky had offered me a great sky sports deal (don't tell them the price unless you have to). Anyway, she checked with her manager and came back at 7.50 instead of 19.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Just rang Sky to get Sky+ and got a lad in Bishopstown.

TOld me it was €145 + €45 + €15 for multiroom.

I asked if that was the best offer and he said they'd waive the €45.

Asked for the €7.50 multiroom rate and he advised that was only for new customers.

Asked was it Sky policy to penalise existing customers (8 yrs) and he said "tell me about it, I'm hearing it all day"

(imagine his TL listening back tomorrow morning)

Going to cancel Sports and movies tomorrow morning and also Setanta - we'll see what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭corkandproud

By the way, I have the full Sky Package for €68.

I want to keep all the main channels, Sky sports and the Disney channels, movies not important.

If the wife takes out a new subscription, can we get a better deal?

By the way, I have the full Sky Package for €68.

I want to keep all the main channels, Sky sports and the Disney channels, movies not important.

If the wife takes out a new subscription, can we get a better deal?

Have you tried to get a discount, for the past 3-4 years I've called at the end of the soccer season and got the 3 months discount on sky sports (usually 15 off)

They have other deals available, you just need to ask (threaten to cancel), and are usually more flexible at the end of the month.

The one time I did actually want to cancel sky, they just wouldn't take no for an answer, so I told them I was off to Mountjoy for a few years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I rang this evening and I end up without SKY Sports. They never offered me anything even mentioning twice to two people that the reason I was changing was the cost of it so I was changing to Setanta.
    I just have no luck. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

I got the Sky Sports 3 month discount today at 1.15pm

• Advertisement

BFassassin wrote: »
    I rang this evening and I end up without SKY Sports. They never offered me anything even mentioning twice to two people that the reason I was changing was the cost of it so I was changing to Setanta.
    I just have no luck. :(

Strange, maybe because you're within the 12 month contract, so they'll be getting the money from you anyway.

That or targets for this month were met.

Did you mention you were a ManU fan, that probably worked against you ;)

Advertisement