Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost for sessioning?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

mcdunley wrote: »
    Thanks! This is the sort of info I was looking for, by someone who has actual experience with this sort of thing and doesn't want to argue about tax and how I should work for free!

What are you talking about.... He did not answer your question at all. What price did he mention? :rolleyes:

Coming on here an commenting like that will lead to you not getting any helpful advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

jaysus,
    Will you give him a break. Some people are so angry on this forum. Go off and have a bash on your drum kits or smash your stacks up!

Less of the high and mighty attitude.

The price depends on what level you are going in at, what resources your employer has. While rehearsals wouldnt normally be charged if you are rehearsing all day and night then you deserve something. Negotiating your pay is your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Wow, i didn't think such a polite simple question would bring on such controversy. Anyway:

In my experience, a 'Pro' session muso will usually charge about €200 per day to an unsigned guy In my experience. Often this will include a rehearsal, though I've come across some that would charge about €50 for a rehearsal.

Obviously you are not a pro at this stage, so I'd be thinking €80 - €100 for a days recording is reasonable, and throw in a rehearsal with that. If more than a days rehearsal is required, just price it so your not out of pocket would be my advice, travel costs, luunch etc. Maybe about €20 - €30. Obviously as you build your profile, you can readjust your rates.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

hi,

as a pro musician, you can be charging for any and all work you do, just like you would in any other line of music. Be it rehearsing, recording or gigging. It's your time. However, that said, I'm terrible at enforcing this philosophy on my own playing - mainly because most of the time the people I play with cant really afford to pay me all that much, and I rather be out playing anyway than sitting at home watching TV. Apart from one band, who are doing quite well at the moment and are paying me €150 per show - I generally just try and make sure my expenses (petrol, hotels and food) are covered and then I'm happy :)

Advertisement