Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typos - would you like to be informed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭daymobrew

p wrote: »
    Your mail to that guy was very terse, but his response was definitely inappropriate.
    I also tell drivers when their brake lights aren't working - "Just to let you know, 1/2/all of your brake lights are broken, probably just a blown blub". Those that realise that they need to roll down the passenger window to hear me appreciate the info. I'm a cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Well, if someone takes the time to report a typo then fair play. Typos reflect disastrously on a webpage IMO.

I run an athletics site and the odd time I get emails like that. People seem kinda nervous reporting, but I just reply saying I was tired or in a rush which is usually the case. Then fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

daymobrew wrote: »
    I also tell drivers when their brake lights aren't working - "Just to let you know, 1/2/all of your brake lights are broken, probably just a blown blub". Those that realise that they need to roll down the passenger window to hear me appreciate the info. I'm a cyclist.
    Breaklights are a safety issue so that's a different thing.

There's a fine line between being helpful and trying to make yourself feel clever and smart.

The first is fine, but emailing people about unsolicited typos on a web design company is getting closer to the latter. You've got to ask yourself if you're actually trying to help them, or if your doing it to show them how bad they are and clever you are.

If it ever might be the latter, then don't send the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Breaklights are a safety issue so that's a different thing.
    ..snip..
    If it ever might be the latter, then don't send the email.
    It's never the latter.

s/Breaklights/Brake lights/ - you can't have expected me to ignore that one :p

daymobrew wrote: »
    It's never the latter.
    s/Breaklights/Brake lights/ - you can't have expected me to ignore that one :p
    Good to hear.

But just to give you an example of how people might feel. Imagine someone emailed you about some photos on your website critiquing you dress-sense and giving you some fashion tips. You might not appreciate it too well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Good to hear.

But just to give you an example of how people might feel. Imagine someone emailed you about some photos on your website critiquing you dress-sense and giving you some fashion tips. You might not appreciate it too well. :)
    Imagine you are running a business and your potential customers think you're retarded because half your blurb is misspelled.

This isn't someone's myspace page we're talking about, it's a company's web presence.

CuLT wrote: »
    Imagine you are running a business and your potential customers think you're retarded because half your blurb is misspelled.
    This isn't someone's myspace page we're talking about, it's a company's web presence.
    Imagine you're out on the pull and you're not scoring because you've got bad dress sense. :D

You're 100% right of course, but it's just not all that surprising that you'll get mixed reactions. People don't like having their flaws pointed out, valid or not.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Imagine you're out on the pull and you're not scoring because you've got bad dress sense. :D

You're 100% right of course, but it's just not all that surprising that you'll get mixed reactions. People don't like having their flaws pointed out, valid or not.
    Yeah, it can be vexing sometimes, but it's the difference between being a professional and being an amateur, to my mind. Criticism, positive and negative is a part of being professional. If you can't react to it dispassionately, you're not cut out for the game.

Personally, I'd rather not reply at all than reply negatively. The former can make you seem a little aloof, the latter makes you look like a jackass, and can turn into forum threads like this one... :)

Advertisement