Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typos - would you like to be informed?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭

If I spot a typo in a web site, especially that of a web development company, I will generally send them an email to report it. The responses are hit and miss - either a thank you (SportsBasement.com joked that they would send their web guys back to 3rd grade English class) or no response.

Yesterday I reported 3 typos on a small web dev company site and got a bizarre and aggressive reply.

What would you do if someone you didn't know e.g. me, reported typos or errors in your site?
    I would thank them and fix the issues asap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Yep - would do the same. Nothing says 'unprofessional' more than bad spelling...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

sineadw wrote: »
    Yep - would do the same. Nothing says 'unprofessional' more than bad spelling...
    I completely agree. A company which acknowledges it comes across as very professional and audience-driven, those that fix it quietly at least listen, the ones which neither listen nor fix don't give a damn but to be agressive is absolutely unnecessary and highlights an individual's personal issues more than anything else.

I'd be more than happy to hear about something wrong with a site. I'd rather 5 people raise the issue early than 5,000 people think less of the work I do.

Just out of curiosity, what was their reply?

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

oneweb wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what was their reply?
    I completed an enquiry form on the company's site:
    Typos on your site:
    http://www.XXXXXXXX.ie/_webSiteDesign/splashPages.asp
    catcy should be catchy
    http://www.XXXXXXXX.ie/_webSiteDesign/CMSSites.asp
    can be design should be can be designed
    http://www.XXXXXXXX.ie/_webSiteDesign/eComSites.asp
    hassel should be hassle
    The reply
    Daymobrew,

Who are you and what is your problem?

Name_of_Managing_Director

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

daymobrew wrote: »
    I would thank them and fix the issues asap.

Absolutely, and with a nice portion of humble pie too. I gave up on pointing out small things to strangers' sites years ago (you so rarely get an acknowledgement, let alone a thank you). Obviously if there's a security threat of some sort, I'll still try to email (which isn't always straight forward), but other than that I keep my comments to sites who I know the owner/maintainer of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I think unless you've sent these emails yourself at some point it's hard to appreciate the motivation behind it... ie. someone taking time out of their day to offer a helpful suggestion, rather than assuming it's some cocky, condescending, arse playing interweb school teacher.

Do you give them a grade at the end of it, and tell them you want to see an improvement? (you should, it'd be hilarious :D)

[edit]
    Who are you and what is your problem?
    rofl
    <Stewie Griffon voice> My problem is your atrocious spelling, fix it at once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Sounds like standard reply from Irish customer service departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

I completed an enquiry form on the company's site:
    The reply
    Wow. I for one would CERTAINLY not want to deal with a web design company that not only spritzes misspellings throughout its own content but blasts someone who highlights the fact. Imagine trying to get them to change a mockup ffs!!

Unless...
    ...their own contact form is buggy and only sends only the Name field when submitted?

Just for kicks, there's more bloomers:

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]suit your companies needs [/FONT] (company's)
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]Our designers will come with an image (designs)
    that suits your companies identity. (company's)

designed to the clients specifications (client's)

packages can created to the clients specification (can be... ...client's)

This package offers everthing (everything)

for those who need another option other then (than)

Heh, we're annoying feckers, aren't we?! :-p

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

<Stewie Griffon voice> My problem is your atrocious spelling, fix it at once!

It's spelt Griffin :D

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

egan007 wrote: »
    Sounds like standard reply from Irish customer service departments.
    Agreed.

Some googling shows the company in question.

All I'll say about their homepage is:
    <FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=#000000 size=2>

:rolleyes:

Unless...
    ...their own contact form is buggy and only sends only the Name field when submitted?
    No, it sends them the submitted name, email address and enquiry. I saw these in the mail sent by the company MD.
    Just for kicks, there's more bloomers:
    Hehe. I'll let you report those. They developed the site for a Dublin 15 minister.
    suit your companies needs
    Even Google suggests the right spelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That was an unprofessional reply, but I'm just wondering - was that the entire text of your feedback comment? If so, that does come across as a little smart-arsey.
    Typos on your site:
    http://www.XXXXXXXX.ie/_webSiteDesign/splashPages.asp
    catcy should be catchy
    http://www.XXXXXXXX.ie/_webSiteDesign/CMSSites.asp
    can be design should be can be designed
    http://www.XXXXXXXX.ie/_webSiteDesign/eComSites.asp
    hassel should be hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

2007 was a bad year for constructive criticism

(© Copyright 2007)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

So who else just used their contact form to point out the typos? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

God bless Google.....

Mind you, should it not be:

"Our designers will come up with an......"

I'd hate it if someone posted or reported elsewhere that there was a mistake on our site, but if someone lets me know (phrasing it "just to let you know that I spotted the following" - it does depend on how it's phrased too, I'd fix it and email back a quick thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    God bless Google.....

Mind you, should it not be:

"Our designers will come upwith an......"

I'd hate it if someone posted or reported elsewhere that there was a mistake on our site, but if someone lets me know (phrasing it "just to let you know that I spotted the following" - it does depend on how it's phrased too, I'd fix it and email back a quick thanks.

Or even

"Our designers will come up with an......" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

eoin_s wrote: »
    It's spelt Griffin :D
    Who are you eoin_s and what is your problem? :mad:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mirror wrote: »
    Or even

"Our designers will come up with an......" :pac:

Damn!! Ya beat me to it!!! :D:D

Criticise my typing and html, will ya!!!! Just who do you think you are!!!! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's not just typos. Some of the copy on loads of web dev companies' sites reads like a 12 year old's essay. (Apols to 12yos)

eoin_s wrote: »
    That was an unprofessional reply, but I'm just wondering - was that the entire text of your feedback comment? If so, that does come across as a little smart-arsey.
    Yes it was the entire text (well, I had a paragraph explaining how I came to the site [via the politician's site]). I would normally put a "FYI: I found a few typos ..." but was rushing yesterday.
    Liam Byrne wrote:
    I would never have mentioned this if the reply had not been so inappropriate. As the quoted links were the entire message, how would you have responded?
    I would have been happy to see it fixed and not received a response.
    Mirror wrote:
    So who else just used their contact form to point out the typos?
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Way to treat feedback C.D.!

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the support.
    I will try to be less terse in my future mails (as commented by eoin_s and Liam Byrne).

I got a thank you email when I sent the following to another website:
    RE: Tiny issues with some characters on the website

Hi,

I was browsing your site, blah.com, and noticed a few characters that did not display correctly for me. The reason is because I use Mozilla Firefox on Unix, Windows users will probably not experience the same issues.

There is a simple solution that the web site maintainer could implement.

The footer of each page mentions "Registered Trademark". The (r) symbol appears as a question mark for me. If the registered trademark symbol is changed to '& reg ;' (remove spaces) it will appear as '(r)' for everyone. See (1)

On the search page, http://www.blah.com/search.html, should "Advance Search" tab be "Advanced Search"? (add 'd')

Damien

(1) http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/entities/latin1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The funniest replies are from the ones who've ripped of your copy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I'd definitely send a thank you! Your going to the bother of helping somebody out in your own time/expense, it's the least somebody could do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Noone likes to be told how to do their job and if you do, don't expect people to be grateful.

Your mail to that guy was very terse, but his response was definitely inappropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

daymobrew > Did you reply back to him? :)

CoNfOuNd wrote: »
    daymobrew > Did you reply back to him? :)
    No, screw that.
    Others used the form to report more typos.
    I checked one of the typos I reported - it has not been changed.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

No, screw that.
    Others used the form to report more typos.
    I checked one of the typos I reported - it has not been changed.
    Undoubtedly revelling in their own illiteracy, thumbing their nose at The Establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

CuLT wrote: »
    Undoubtedly revelling in their own illiteracy, thumbing their nose at The Establishment.
    Ahhhh.... The Establishment.

I didn't know it could access the Internet...

Interesting thread. Thank You.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

There organic keywords list in Analytics is going to have some strange entry's after this!

Advertisement