Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any exit polls?

Options
  • 12-06-2008 2:11pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Or are they banned these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Khannie wrote: »

Afaik they're not banned but for elections in this country they are useless because of proportional representation. However that is obviously different for yes/no plebiscites, but I heard on euronews they are still not taking any exit polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

could we not set up an anonymous poll here asking people who voted how they voted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

rte and newstalk said they weren't doing one ,ido wre doing a rough one? i guess with ref the results itself is fairly quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Scruff wrote: »
    could we not set up an anonymous poll here asking people who voted how they voted?
    There's already a poll on AH asking how people voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

For those who are interested in the predictive power of markets, Paddy Power are backing a Yes vote. I put €20 down on No winning at 7/4 at about midnight last night. They've changed those odds to 9/4 now. Yes at 2/7 on.

Looks like a Yes by at least a couple of percent on those figures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Antithetic wrote: »
    For those who are interested in the predictive power of markets

I find them fascinating. Didn't the CIA have one for a while?

Interesting that PP are backing a yes vote. Will be interested to see if they're right.

I'm somewhat surprised that there haven't been any exit polls by the news heads.

An exit poll on boards wouldn't be representative of the population as a whole. The majority of users on here are young, a fair bit more male than female, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Not sure if it's true but i read somewhere that PP had a No for Nice 1 at 10/1 the day of the polls. Though it does make for interesting reading I assume they base it on current polls and betting trends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Antithetic wrote: »
    For those who are interested in the predictive power of markets, Paddy Power are backing a Yes vote. I put €20 down on No winning at 7/4 at about midnight last night. They've changed those odds to 9/4 now. Yes at 2/7 on.

Looks like a Yes by at least a couple of percent on those figures.

Indeed - PP are closing some the options they had on offer - from 3 down to 1.
    In the general election last year around this time on Polling day, they stopped taking bets on most of the constituencies for FF and we all know what a surprise the results were when they started coming in the following day.

So I reckon it's a good indication that it looks like the day might very well be won by the YES side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

sink wrote: »
    Afaik they're not banned but for elections in this country they are useless because of proportional representation.
    Didn't RTE announce an extremely accurate one for the last GE the morning after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

reading over on politics.ie seems;

*Low turnout in Working Class areas.
    *strong turnout in 'fishing towns' down south.
    *Steady stream of folk in middle/upper middle Dublin.

not worried yet, I think it will turn around later.
    Know plenty of no voters who can't cast their voters until later.

The Republic'll prevail and all that....if we lose, I hope the No vote is still substantially large. Then we can put the French and Dutch No vote with the no vote, and the yes vote with the the two Yes referndum votes from 2005, and decide who won :pac:

VOTEZ NON.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

If done, they not available till the polls close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

Just my 2c - When I voted this morning (about 10am), the polling guys said it had been very very slow, even considering it was relatively early. I'm thinking that whichever way it goes, people who didn't vote can't complain.

Which brings me to this bizarre conversation I had yesterday that I just have to get off my chest. Boards will do :).

Went something like this. P for, um Peasant I suppose. Don't get hung up on her No attitude, it could have been yes and have the same kind of silliness:

P: Man, I hope the Nos swing it.

Me: O RLY?

P: Yeah, I mean, I don't want a European Super state, that's not what the EEC was supposed to be about.

Me: (Oh good, let's have a reasoned argument). I suppose you could view...

P: I mean, with the EU police state army, we'll have Nazis kicking down our doors. Like with Poland before.

Me: Whoa! Where are you reading this stuff..

P: Telling us what to do they'll be, dictating.

Me: Uh, we have opt outs on...

P: Yeah, I mean Sinn Fein are at least telling the people the truth as opposed to those government people.

Me: (edging away slowly). Er, I don't think even SF are saying anything like...

P: It's supposed to be economics only, like why aren't the EU fixing France's economy and stuff. And ours.

Me: (looking for some sort of bat). I thought you said you didn't want them interfering. And what's wrong with France...

P: Yeah and I haven't received my polling card.

Me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. OMG! All this talk about your rights and you aren't even on the register!

P: Well, I changed my address, they should have known.

LOL! Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

PrivateEye wrote: »
    The Republic'll prevail and all that....if we lose, I hope the No vote is still substantially large. Then we can put the French and Dutch No vote with the no vote, and the yes vote with the the two Yes referndum votes from 2005, and decide who won :pac:
    Overall, there were more Yes votes, and even if No wins here, I don't think we have the population to swing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

PrivateEye wrote: »

*Low turnout in Working Class areas.
    I voted about 5pm this evening in a large enough polling station and I was literally the only person there, no one else even in sight, either leaving or arriving.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd say there is a fair bit of burn out over the whole thing, with people simply not caring one way or the other or not voting because they dont understand the treaty and so dont have strong opinions either way.

The results of the boards poll was NO by about 7% but I wouldnt expect that to stand nationwide. With a dataset in excess of 1300 the last time I look, it would have to be considered statistically significant for this demographic so the YES camp wont be too comfortable until the result is in.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Of course there would be a low turn out in the working class areas pre 6pm. They are working and are now stuck on the bus home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

clown bag wrote: »
    I voted about 5pm this evening in a large enough polling station and I was literally the only person there, no one else even in sight, either leaving or arriving.

That doesn't bode too well. I wonder how many people are deliberately not voting vs how many can't be arsed. Twas slow enough in Kilbarrack this morning - mostly old ladies voting before mass. And most of them were voting no by the sound of it: "don't want those europeans telling us what to do..."

Still, the prepolls say it's right on the edge so, given that most yes/nos are probably decided well in advance, it's all down to the "not sures"...

The Sun takes it for taste I think, with two big Xs over some young one's breasts. Not sure that would sway the old ladies somehow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

clown bag wrote: »

Interesting. I voted at around 8am this morning in the Skerries community centre. There were 3 or 4 other people there. I considered that very _very_ quiet. If I had been the only person there, I think would have been a bit freaked out. :)
    DeVore wrote: »
    I'd say there is a fair bit of burn out over the whole thing, with people simply not caring one way or the other or not voting because they dont understand the treaty and so dont have strong opinions either way.

Agreed. A good few people in here were open about not voting on both of those grounds.
    Of course there would be a low turn out in the working class areas pre 6pm. They are working and are now stuck on the bus home.

:D

edit:
    carveone wrote: »
    The Sun takes it for taste I think, with two big Xs over some young one's breasts. Not sure that would sway the old ladies somehow.

Haha. Brilliant. :D

edit: In fact....lots of great wit on this board today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

voted this morning in Athlone in one of the larger polling stations too, when I was going in there were about 3 elderly people leaving (11am), just happened to be sitting outside in my car afterwards for about 15 mins, 1 person went in. I voted around the same time in the general election, there was a considerably larger amount of people bustling in and out then. It'll be interesting to know the actual turn out for the entire election. I know it was 11, but it looked pretty bad. Out of interest, do they publish how many people spoil their votes?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

The turnout did seem low to me. This is the first time I haven't had to queue to vote. There was reasonably steady traffic in and out, but it was lower than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

As far as I know, they would state amount of votes cast, then subtract the spoilt = total. I wont be around tomorrow to hear the announcement though, I would assume RTE will do one of their interrupt every other programme for the news job, like when the new pope was elected or for 9/11.

Interesting. I voted at around 8am this morning in the Skerries community centre. There were 3 or 4 other people there. I considered that very _very_ quiet. If I had been the only person there, I think would have been a bit freaked out. :)
    Yeah, I had intended to get down a bit earlier to avoid the "rush" but didn't get out of work early enough. I had expected to have to queue a bit given the time but the place was deserted. First time I experienced it tbh, usually even at off peak times and even during local / euro elections there is sill a bit of activity about the place.

It did freak me out a bit, I thought someone cancelled the vote and didn't tell me or I arrived a day late or something. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

When I went down there was only 3 or 4 old people around. Being a "young person" myself they were all staring at me as if I was some terrorist coming to steal the ballots. Which of course I didn't, and voted No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I voted at 6pm in Galway city. I had trouble finding the place, no signs up outside, no people milling around. I was the only person there at the time, very surprised, I thought the place would have been busy at around that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

voted at 7:15 at wicklow
    so most of the commuters would be home by then
    4 boots, 8 electoral officers, just me as a voter

I think all the carp we've been through from both campaigns have turned many people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I voted at about 7.30 in the local. (Primary school, not pub...) Got similiar strange looks for being so young, and I was the only one voting there at the time.

Fwiw, neither of my parents are voting. One is pro-treaty, the other anti-, and both are sick to death of the campaign, and so are not bothering to vote in protest. I feel so staid by comparison...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

I voted at 3 p.m

The officials practically jumped out of their seats when they realised someone had come to vote, they looked so bored!

They said....wait for it....50 people had voted at that stage!

Also so many people I know are not bothering to vote at all. Various reasons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seemed to be busy enough in my polling station anyway! Well, around the same as usual!

Randomness wrote: »

The officials practically jumped out of their seats when they realised someone had come to vote, they looked so bored!
    Yeah, I was eye balled by the bored looking officials too as I walked in.They all looked like they wanted me to go to their booth. The girl asked me what number I was then sighed and told me I was in the next station up. The guy there got very animated and excitedly got his pen and ruler out to cross me off his list. I should have done a jig or told them a joke to keep them entertained. I'm pretty sure the guard at the door was falling asleep too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Pretty dead in my constituency (Sutton) - I voted at 18:30 and would have thought there'd be more people who, like myself, had just got in from work. After all the fuss, I'd honestly think you'd have a bigger turnout.

Advertisement