Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The King's Bastard by Rowena Cory Daniells.

Truly terrible. Can't decide whether to give up on it or force myself through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Just started the Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin, the first time I've read any of her novels, and following on from the feeling on the last page, I'm not usually a fan of female authors so hoping she can change my mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Teferi wrote: »
    The King's Bastard by Rowena Cory Daniells.

Truly terrible. Can't decide whether to give up on it or force myself through it.

When that happens me,I have to keep reading "just in case it improves",they
    never do and leaves me disappointed,on the upside,after that it can turn an ok read into a good book,as the old mind keeps thinking of how bad the last book was....if that makes any sense:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Reading Dragon Bone Chair by Tad Williams. Got my missus to chose between that and Raymond Feist's Magician. Hope it was a good choice.
    Only read the first Mistborn book, thought it was okay. Liked Way of Kings thought.

Can't go wrong with Magician anyway, fantastic book.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Currently reading "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson. It's far better than the Baroque trilogy series and I'm really enjoying it so far. So many more books to read still and authors keep publishing more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Finished Babel-17 a while back and I'm currently reading The Mad Ship by Hobb. I'm not as into the world or characters as I was with the Farseer trilogy but I'm still liking it enough to want to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Im on to The Dragon Reborn now in my WoT re-read. Trying to knock one book out a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just finished Towers of Midnight. It's a nice hybrid of stuff happening and plot momentum, combined with some wonderfully descriptive scene building - Sanderson is really getting into Jordan's style. I'll give it an 8/10, (not that it matters, WOT fans will read it regardless :))

mcgovern wrote: »
    Just started the Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin, the first time I've read any of her novels, and following on from the feeling on the last page, I'm not usually a fan of female authors so hoping she can change my mind :)

Well she didn't change my mind, no science in it, not my cup of tea at all really though the world was well realised.
    Making a change in my usual reading habbits and going for The Wasp Factory by Ian Bainks.

Now I'm on 'The Shadow Rising'. Still enjoying them.

• Advertisement

Currently reading "Rainbows End" by Vernor Vinge. It's pretty good so far but I prefer Charles Stross (who is strongly influenced by Vinge and his singularity).
    Now I'm on 'The Shadow Rising'. Still enjoying them.
    How can you read so quickly?! It would take me 3 weeks to get through a book like that.

ixoy wrote: »
    Currently reading "Rainbows End" by Vernor Vinge. It's pretty good so far but I prefer Charles Stross (who is strongly influenced by Vinge and his singularity).

How can you read so quickly?! It would take me 3 weeks to get through a book like that.

Really, I love Vinge's earlier stuff (not so much Rainbow's End though) and bit of a nut when it comes to the Singularity (also a big fan of Raymond Kurzweil), maybe that's why Amazon keeps recommending Stross to me, I'll have to try him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just started reading book two of The Void series by Peter F. Hamilton.

As always he sets up his world in great detail and there is good characterisation, but did not enjoy the first book as much as Pandora's Star or Judas Unchained.

Hopefully this book will be better and lead nicely into a great third book.

I'm basically reading every free moment I have. I'm on a deadline as I'm moving country in January so i have to have it all read before then!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm on a deadline as I'm moving country in January so i have to have it all read before then!
    Are you moving to North Korea, or what?! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Try being cursed with speedreading!
    I think ToM took me 7-8 hours :(

I am not reading anything at the mo so I think I will scour this thread for good suggestions...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just finished Wild Cards volume one by Geogre Martin among others. Some great bits in it especially 'The Sleeper' and the Yeoman guy, pity that kinda ended on a cliffhanger. A good twist on the whole superhero thing with the whole powers going ares ways. Oh yeah and Kid Dinosaur!

Just got Jack Vance's 'Tales of a Dying Earth'. Haven't started yet.

About a fifth of the way through 'Dragonbone Chair' by Tad Williams. I reckon it will be good but its a bit slow to get going.

Rereading Towers of Midnight and bit reading Hawkwing and the Kings by some Irish writer called Paul Kearney I think. I'm liking that quite a bit.

Dades wrote: »
    Are you moving to North Korea, or what?! :pac:

Canada, but I don't want to be dragging books with me as well!

Making a change in my usual reading habbits and going for The Wasp Factory by Ian Bainks.

Very good read, though no where near as stomach churning/grotesque etc as I was expecting.
    Started American Gods by Neil Gaiman, have read one or two of his short stories before, but none of his novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

American Gods is quite good. Should try Anansii Boys next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

So seeing all the stuff here on it, i've started on the first Wheel of time book.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

My copy of Stonewielder (Ian Cameron Esselmont) arrived today. Good timing - I can start reading it tonight.

bonkey wrote: »
    My copy of Stonewielder (Ian Cameron Esselmont) arrived today. Good timing - I can start reading it tonight.

Didn't know that had come out. Let us know how it is!

First Ed copy...I ordered it way back, and was pleasantly surprised to find it in the post yesterday.

Not sure when the "regular" edition will be released.

Will certainly post some impressions once I've managed to get more then a few pages read....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

bonkey wrote: »
    First Ed copy...I ordered it way back, and was pleasantly surprised to find it in the post yesterday.

Not sure when the "regular" edition will be released.

Will certainly post some impressions once I've managed to get more then a few pages read....

I'm about 150 pages in. The fluidity and tone of his writing has come along in leaps and bounds since night of knives. Definitely see this one being my favorite of his three so far.

Currently reading "Blaze" by "Richard Bachman" (aka Stephen King). It's fairly standard King - very readable, good characterisation, if not all that original or insightful.

"Stoneweilder" is on my Amazon wish list now for Christmas :)

pljudge321 wrote: »
    I'm about 150 pages in. The fluidity and tone of his writing has come along in leaps and bounds since night of knives. Definitely see this one being my favorite of his three so far.

Im about at the same spot, and thinking the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Surface Detail (Iain M. Banks) on my new Kindle - liking the book and loving the Kindle!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Currently reading Inverted World By Christopher Priest. Intriguing plot so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Just saw the TV film of the Lathe of Heaven which was very good, must read the book now. I have read the dispossessed which is excellent.

Advertisement