Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Reading The Wolf by Leo Carew atm. Really enjoying it but haven't had a chance to read much the last few months so that may be some part of it too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just started into Ancestral Night by Elizebeth Bear, first few chapters looking very promising. Space salvage stuff based on a two person and one AI tug coming across something huge and strange in the middle of nowhere. Fun so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Luna:Moon Rising, Ian McDonald. Love the series and enjoying this, but riddled with typos at the start. Really surprising coming form a big publisher.

Xofpod wrote: »
    Luna:Moon Rising, Ian McDonald. Love the series and enjoying this, but riddled with typos at the start. Really surprising coming form a big publisher.

*from

That had to happen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Complete sidebar, but attended a workshop in the Irish Writers Centre hosted by McDonald; nice, down to earth guy and you could see the influence of cinema & TV on his thinking because a lot of his comparisons came from that. Always thought Luna had a deeply adaptation-friendly vibe from it, guess that's why!

Oh and he mentioned a love & fascination for Brazil a lot - so again, that comes through in the book(s) too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Just finished the first novel in the "Licanius trilogy" by Islington. Dreadful writing, felt like it was generated by an AI. Every chapter works pretty much the same, the action is a snore, and the mythology a mish-mash that's not explained (dribbled in when the limping plot needs to move along at random times.) Not going to bother with the subsequent volumes.

Started "The Kingkiller chronicle" by Rothfuss. A *much* better book than the one by Islington. Rothfuss can write and has kept my interest so far, good writer imo, had read at least 1 of his short stories involving a character in this series elsewhere and it was great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nody wrote: »
    Finishing up the third book in the Powder mage trilogy (read the previous two before obviously) and before that The Emperor's blades (which I loved; happy I bought book 2 & 3 as well which are next). That will be followed by the Vagrant (got the first three once again), the Gutter Prayer and the Empire of Silence (The Sun eater series) if all goes as planned.
    Finished the third book in the Powder Mage trilogy and it ends as abrupt as it started; would love to see more in the universe and lore in general. On to the Vagrant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nody wrote: »
    Finished the third book in the Powder Mage trilogy and it ends as abrupt as it started; would love to see more in the universe and lore in general. On to the Vagrant.
    Well there's a new trilogy set in the same world with some of the same characters. Two books published, third on the way. Currently enjoying the first entry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ixoy wrote: »
    Well there's a new trilogy set in the same world with some of the same characters. Two books published, third on the way. Currently enjoying the first entry.
    Sounds like a great start for my Kindle...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Xofpod wrote: »

"The continuing saga of the Moon's Five Dragons, already under option from CBS, a fast-paced, intricately plotted space opera pitched as Game of Thrones meets The Expanse
    "
    Ooooh, sounds right up my straight. I'm definitely gonna check that book series out.

• Advertisement

"The continuing saga of the Moon's Five Dragons, already under option from CBS, a fast-paced, intricately plotted space opera pitched as Game of Thrones meets The Expanse
    "
    Ooooh, sounds right up my straight. I'm definitely gonna check that book series out.

Can't recommend highly enough.
    Plus, his other stuff is pretty good too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"

Totally off-topic, but CBS doesn't feel like the right fit for a story like Luna; but then optioning is just IP squatting so who knows if they're serious.

Just ordered Gridlinked in my local library, based on how good this thread gives reviews for Neal Asher's hard sci-fi series.

Half-way through Greg Chiver's 289 page The Crying Machine. Sci-fi lite for a long while, but picks up at around page 100. The writing that backs up the ideas until now have been pretty good, but some turns of phrases and descriptions are sublime. With traces of Neal Stephenson's tone, it's overall a very easy read, with nothing particularly new in it (so far), but it does have a very good cynical angle on transhumanism.

Just finished it. Pretty good, if a little superficial. Great as an introductory Neal Stephensonesque book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The Warship by Neal Asher was ok. Normally I love his stuff but this one just lacked the crazy characters that usually make his work so enjoyable.
    I then read The Call by Peadar O Guillin, mostly because the author is Irish. It's kind of a unique Irish take on the Hunger Games with Faeries. It's not bad and if I see the sequel on sale I'll probably pick it up but I wouldn't pay full price for it.
    Also read Sain't Blood by Sebastien de Castell, the third book in his Greatcloaks series. This was another very strong entry in the series, it's one of my favourite fantasy series of recent years. It's amazing how often someone can be nearly dead and then fight and win another duel though :D
    Then read Marines by Jay Allen based on a recommendation somewhere in this forum. It was not good. The author's style of writing really annoyed me, lots of 'I didn't know it then, but this was really important and I wouldn't find out for a long time why and why I did it was a big surprise'.
    At the moment I'm reading Sea of Rust by C. Robert Cargill, it's an interesting post apocalyptic novel told from the viewpoint of a robot.
    And from fantasy side I'm reading The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter. It seems to combine lots of popular fantasy tropes but combine them into something new. Enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Just finished this one and enjoyed it big time.Not as good as part one IMO but still top notch. Has everything including the kitchen sink which might be a tad too much.
    Modern day Templar knights ,Biker gangs , Demons , werewolves, road magicians ,Global conspiracy?, and to top it off , a serial killer Clown cult led by
    a immortal from Ancient Roman

I reckon that
    Viper will turn out to be Hecks Father

Roll on part 3. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Just finished this one and enjoyed it big time.Not as good as part one IMO but still top notch. Has everything including the kitchen sink which might be a tad too much.
    Modern day Templar knights ,Biker gangs , Demons , werewolves, road magicians ,Global conspiracy?, and to top it off , a serial killer Clown cult led by
    a immortal from Ancient Roman

I reckon that
    Viper will turn out to be Hecks Father

Sounds interesting, what's the book called?

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Sounds interesting, what's the book called?

I'm gonna guess...King of the road RS Belcher. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ah the title doesn't show up on m.boards, i was wondering earlier as well

bluewolf wrote: »
    ah the title doesn't show up on m.boards, i was wondering earlier as well

What's m.boards, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Looking it up on goodreads it looks like a match! Notes about editing would put me off. That kind of stuff disrupts the flow.

" There is so much going on in this book! Clocking in at a little under 400 pages, subplots include: politics within motorcycle gangs and wars, Nicholas Flamel and alchemy, a bit of H. P. Lovecraft's weirdness, familial physical and psychological abuse, Insane Clown Posse and juggaloes, the mystery of The Black Dahlia murder, hobo history and riding the rails. As well as all that, there are the usual urban fantasy tropes: secret organizations with large agendas and werewolves.

So, of course, I loved it.

I have a love affair with Tor publishing. They have an amazing way of bringing me consistently excellent authors and stories.

HOWEVER, it saddens me to say that actual editing in this book is HORRIBLE, to the point where it disrupted my reading flow. Connectors such as "a" and "the" were constantly left out as well as possessive "'s" and place tense endings such as "ed."

• Advertisement

What's m.boards, out of interest?
    A mobile friendlier version of boards for use on mobile phones etc. cutting out headers etc. to give more reading space (but comes with it's own set of issues as noted above).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Just finished this one and enjoyed it big time.

Enjoying "The Brotherhood of the Wheel" by RS Belcher, first novel in the series that includes "King of the Road" mentioned earlier.

Interestingly, the monsters speak Irish :) Have seen other recent books using Irish as a 'fantasy' language. Gaelige Abu!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Finished Ancestral Night which was and entertaining space opera, albeit quite light, with nicely written characters and and a pacey plot. Just started into Children of Time having seen many references here and already enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ullmaj15

Currently reading Memoirs of Geisha by Arthur Golden

If you are looking for a new book to read, I would really suggest this one to you. It’s a very different genre and a brilliant novel. A must read!

Ullmaj15 wrote: »

If you are looking for a new book to read, I would really suggest this one to you. It’s a very different genre and a brilliant novel. A must read!

Thanks. Sounds great, but this is from a subjective pov; subjectivity is well... subjective. What type of genre? (some might not be interested). It's brilliant to you, but what makes it brilliant that others might like the sound of (without giving spoilers)?
    Always good to find a book that others are passionate about. Throw in a few details so others can judge better (and maybe get other reviews online after your suggestion). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Ullmaj15 wrote: »

not really sci fi or fantasy now is it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Sea of Rust. It was quite good, original idea and ripe for a sequel.
    Started Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky and enjoying it so far.

mcgovern wrote: »
    Finished Sea of Rust. It was quite good, original idea and ripe for a sequel.
    Started Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky and enjoying it so far.

Ah Jaysus, only two posts above you I was asking for a bit more detail, rather than just saying you liked something. After spending a lot of time reading a book you think someone else might like, a few minutes of constructive criticism might entice that someone else to explore it. Share the joy! But give us a better idea about it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Finished the Magic Kingdom of Landover series, it was ok. Not enough to make me start looking into more Terry Brooks stuff, actually enjoyed his Word & the Void series much more.

Went through a phase of reading a few free books off Kobo books as we're in the middle of moving house so just wanted quick & fun, plus not taxing on my brain! Last few were-
    *O'Hare House Mysteries, #1 (Kate Danley)- Actually very good, reminded me of the Sally Lockhart series.
    *The Crescent Witch Chronicles #1 (Nicole Taylor)- I'm on the fence about this one, has the raw ability to be so much better than it is but I still enjoyed it as while fantasy, it's different than so many others which have the same themes/monsters etc. Based in Ireland so more Irish mythology & folklore though at times you'd know the writer could have done more homework on Ireland.
    Might buy the others, we'll see.
    *The Spookshow (Time McGregor) Enjoyable, easy to read, did make me wonder about a few noises in the house when I was alone in it at night :D

Currently on a boxset of fantasy ones called Urban Mythic, bit meh & hit & miss. So far have enjoyed The Djinn Wars #1 & will probably look up the rest of them, if nothing else than to find out what happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Glebee

Trying to get through The Wise Mans Fear, finding it very hard work to be honest...:mad:

Advertisement