Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Finished Cage of Souls last night. Enjoyable enough with a slightly China Mieville / Bas Lag feel to it. Quite a lot going on in the story, it felt like it could have been two books, though I really liked that aspect of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

Fian wrote: »
    Im about 65% through.

I am a fan of Neal Stephenson, not at all a fan of this book. Will probably finish it anyway, but i probably shouldn't if I were rational about it.

Actually feck it, I have convinced myself not to waste my time finishing this book.

there is an absolutely spot on review linked below. It has lots of spoilers too. Takes the form of a letter from Neal Stephenson to his publisher describing the book, which is written in the style of the book.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1372159065?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Actually feck it, I have convinced myself not to waste my time finishing this book.
    :D

thanks for that.
    I'm terrible for giving up on books (despite their rave reviews), especially sci-fi ones. So much so that these days I download free ones, or get them from the library. I'm literally stopping one now at 50 pages in- Ninefox Gambit, by Yoon Ha Lee.

Swapping to The Crying Machine, by Greg Chivers.

Just seen this:

Seveneves 2019 Directed by Ron Howard

Less sciencey than the book I'd imagine. Distilled down, it might be good.
    Heuston, we have a biiiig problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

there is an absolutely spot on review linked below. It has lots of spoilers too. Takes the form of a letter from Neal Stephenson to his publisher describing the book, which is written in the style of the book.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1372159065?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1

Love it (the review, not the book) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

What a weird coincidence just after spotting that Seveneves is $2.65 at the moment and I pop on here and see you discussing it. Is it good? Worth getting?

$2.65 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R0RGSLG
    £1.99 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00R0RGSLG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Finished Cardinal Black (book 7) in the Mathew Corbett series.Probably my second favourite after Mr Slaughter.Again some amazing characters created by McCammon , Rakehell Lizzie being among my favourites.

A Top notch read for me.Kinda like a James bond movie with assorted super villians ,blood and gore , satanic rites ,early detectives all mixed up together,but set in the 1700's.
    Looks like we are off to venice for part 8.Counting the days...

Started King of the Road today by R.S.Belcher following on from Brotherhood of the Wheel.
    Belcher has a knack for capturing the best and worst of humanity in his superb characterizations. His story wends expertly through a landscape filled with American folklore, ancient legends, and urban myths, culminating in a showdown that will have fans and newcomers alike eager for further installments of this fascinating series.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Been a while..

Recently read "The Seven" by Peter Newman, the final book in his Vagrant trilogy. A satisfying conclusion as a whole. I find Newman's prose a bit odd at times but it's certainly improved from the first. He fairly conclusively wraps things up here and the world itself is an interesting piece of world building.

I also read Joe Hill's "NOS4R2". This one really felt like a work by his dad (Stephen King). It was pretty enjoyable, without having any standout moments. Moves along pretty quickly and all but lacked something memorable.

Currently reading a few books simultaneously meaning I'm making little progress in any of them:

13% into "The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O." by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland. It concerns a government body trying to bring back magic, which has been lost. Not sure where the balance of work is here, but the touches on some of the explanations and backgrounds certainly smack of Stephenson (and an aside, although I liked 'Seveneves' the review linked above is hilariously spot on). Not quite sure where it's ultimately going to go but it's enjoyable enough so far.

26% into "Sins of Empire" by Brian McClellan, the first book in his "Gods of Blood and Powder" trilogy. Very enjoyable so far - as with the previous series, he maintains a good pace, likeable characters and an interesting mystery.

26% also into "Children of Ruin" by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the sequel to his "Children of Time". This is very good, dealing with two different periods of evolution of different creatures. I'm basically gunning for "Octopuses vs Spiders in Space!" .. we'll see if it plays out that way.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Malazan Book 6. Bonehunters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Assassins Appentice on the kindle and The Wise Mans Fear audiobook in the car....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

That was a great review of Seveneves... And was in fact better than Seveneves. I just wish that someone would write a review of the Culture series in the same fashion...

I'm still working through the xelee books. Really good but I might need a change soon... For variety's sake... Maybe dresden unless I get a better suggestion?

Now reading Kameron Hurley - The Light Brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Finally Malazan is available on UK Audible store so I've started that series back up, on Memories of Ice now. Maybe listening will be easier than reading :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

stesaurus wrote: »
    Finally Malazan is available on UK Audible store so I've started that series back up, on Memories of Ice now. Maybe listening will be easier than reading :D

I see some of them are narrated by Michael Page, really don't like his style of narration, he ruined The Gentleman Bastards for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

I read "one word kill" by Mark Lawrence. Time travel, 80s nostalgia and D&D. first of a trilogy too though it works as a standalone and the story seems to be finished at the end of the book.

Good read, short, simple but entertaining.

Then started a non-fantasy book. Non-fiction in fact. "Sapiens" by Yuval Harrari

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapiens:_A_Brief_History_of_Humankind

It is astonishing, really fantastic book. Making me think about the evolution of people and the human condition in ways that had never occurred to me before. Really recommend this - read this book you won't regret it. One of the best books I have ever read, well I haven't finished reading it yet but it is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

I read "one word kill" by Mark Lawrence. Time travel, 80s nostalgia and D&D. first of a trilogy too though it works as a standalone and the story seems to be finished at the end of the book.

Then started a non-fantasy book. Non-fiction in fact. "Sapiens" by Yuval Harrari

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapiens:_A_Brief_History_of_Humankind

It is astonishing, really fantastic book. Making me think about the evolution of people and the human condition in ways that had never occurred to me before. Really recommend this - read this book you won't regret it. One of the best books I have ever read, well I haven't finished reading it yet but it is brilliant.

Non fiction in a science fiction and fantasy recommendation thread. Heresy!!!! Ban!!!!:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

david75 wrote: »
    Ah man. You have to read them in order. Assassins apprentice, royal assassin, assassins quest, then the tawny man trilogy and then the three you've just read.

You're missing out on ALL the best stuff. This last trilogy is great but you don't have a true basis or understanding without having read the two previous trilogies. Plus it could be argued that the first two trilogies are a lot better written and more engaging. My two cents.

The liveship trilogy are selerate from th farseer books. In the same world and some crossover but not too much related or dependant. I find them a difficult read it's like a totally different author write them. But they are worth it especially as a couple of characters do appear in assassins fate.

Start from the start. The first trilogy is just wonderful and so rich. You'll love em I think.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Dont forget the Rainwild Chronicles aswell, its all one big world and every book in it is gold, absolutely insane to jump straight to the most recent ones. The Liveship and Farseer trilogies really stuck with me even though its a decade since I read them, so many great moments.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Half way through this now (Prince of Nothing book 1), the characters are really smart - very impressed so far.

I know it was quite a while back but I have just finished Farseer Trilogy (Assassin's Quest) and you were right, it was fantastic! I'm raging that I know some of what comes ahead after reading the last trilogy first (doh) but I don't think it took away from things too much, I don't have a great memory so I don't remember it all :) Thanks for the recommendations, Tawny man trilogy will be next for me.

Trojan wrote: »
    Now reading Kameron Hurley - The Light Brigade

This one was kinda funky, in a good way.

Worth a read if you want some head**** time travel/Starship Troopers meets teleportation... You need to bear with it at the 20-40% stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Old Man's War

Reading in fits and starts, I'm about 1/3 in and feels more of a "hangout" book, presumably to give time and space for the inevitable "war is hell and main character's friends die" shoe drop. I like the characters but there's something too... I dunno, Whedonesque about them that grates. Everyone's too snarky and quippy for my blood. Especially as they're meant to be old codgers.

Nemesis Games

The Expanse series is practically comfort food at this stage; I know what I'm getting and picking up a new book is like dropping in on old friends - if said friends were total f*ck ups somehow magnetically attracted to trouble :) seems like I'm 2 books ahead of the series now, certainly curious how close the show will stick to Cibola Burn, being as it was a much smaller story.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pixelburp wrote: »
    Old Man's War

Reading in fits and starts, I'm about 1/3 in and feels more of a "hangout" book, presumably to give time and space for the inevitable "war is hell and main character's friends die" shoe drop. I like the characters but there's something too... I dunno, Whedonesque about them that grates. Everyone's too snarky and quippy for my blood. Especially as they're meant to be old codgers.
    There's definitely an element of too many similar smart ass characters in this series. That said, I enjoyed them until the last book which I gave up on but will probably return to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dades wrote: »
    There's definitely an element of too many similar smart ass characters in this series. That said, I enjoyed them until the last book which I gave up on but will probably return to.

While I wouldn't call it hard to pick them out, the fact everyone has the same "voice" makes all the group dialogue blur into one mass of quips. The more I go on, the less fondly I look back on the work of Joss Whedon, I lay the blame for this style at his door.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finishing up the third book in the Powder mage trilogy (read the previous two before obviously) and before that The Emperor's blades (which I loved; happy I bought book 2 & 3 as well which are next). That will be followed by the Vagrant (got the first three once again), the Gutter Prayer and the Empire of Silence (The Sun eater series) if all goes as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just finished the 14th book of the Wheel of Time, I started back in January and didnt read anything else between then and now. Very good series, plenty of flaws, a drop in quality in the middle but overall I was never really bored and addicted in a lot of places. When I think back on it though I remember it like I would a trilogy, there really was no need for 14 books! The repetition was absolutely off the scale at some points, covering the same ground over and over especially in the relationships between the main character and the female characters. Tbh if I wasnt reading them during downtime at work I might have wandered off onto something else, glad I stuck with it now though.

Feeling a bit free now! Definitely time for some hard sci-fi after that fantasy overdose. Im going to start Neal Ashers new polity trilogy, The Soldier and The Warship, 3rd one isnt out yet but he writes fast.

Started "Foundryside" by Robert Jackson Bennett. I'm not feeling it right now - there's a whole bunch of exposition on the magic system that feels interruptive and unnecessary. I'll see if I can push through because it's highly recommended.

Children of Ruin is absolutely brilliant, Im flying through it, I absolutely love terraforming in sci-fi and this has a heavy focus on that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Read it the other week and recommend the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Children of Ruin is absolutely brilliant, Im flying through it, I absolutely love terraforming in sci-fi and this has a heavy focus on that.

Oh I really enjoyed the first one, a little too much as it kept me up some nights...

On a side note is there any good sites to give a quick recap of books in a series if it has been a while? Or just read them again :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just picked up Children of Time having read Cage of Souls as my first Adrian Tchaikovsky read which I quite enjoyed. Currently reading Seven Views of Olduvai Gorge which is entertaining.

Feeling a bit free now! Definitely time for some hard sci-fi after that fantasy overdose. Im going to start Neal Ashers new polity trilogy, The Soldier and The Warship, 3rd one isnt out yet but he writes fast.

Just ordered Gridlinked in my local library, based on how good this thread gives reviews for Neal Asher's hard sci-fi series.

Half-way through Greg Chiver's 289 page The Crying Machine. Sci-fi lite for a long while, but picks up at around page 100. The writing that backs up the ideas until now have been pretty good, but some turns of phrases and descriptions are sublime. With traces of Neal Stephenson's tone, it's overall a very easy read, with nothing particularly new in it (so far), but it does have a very good cynical angle on transhumanism.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Oh I really enjoyed the first one, a little too much as it kept me up some nights...

On a side note is there any good sites to give a quick recap of books in a series if it has been a while? Or just read them again :D
    The second one is the perfect sequel. Carries on from the first one in a bigger and better way.
    smacl wrote: »
    Just picked up Children of Time having read Cage of Souls as my first Adrian Tchaikovsky read which I quite enjoyed. Currently reading Seven Views of Olduvai Gorge which is entertaining.
    Get his Shadows of the Apt series, nobody ever says a bad thing about it, one of the best fantasy series of recent times.

Advertisement