Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Clubcard Deals - anyone use them yet?

Options
  • 12-06-2008 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭

I know I'm not reporting a bargain as such but I know these have been mentioned before and want to hear of any experiences with them by all us bargain hunters.:)

I have €470 in clubcard vouchers after buying a telly and wii with 50% back on card. At the time I had forgotten about the tesco deals, but after people posting about them here I read up and waited for my clubcard vouchers to arrive. That they did a couple of weeks ago.

Now I want to book a family break. I need to get a decent sized family room which included breakfast and has a kidsclub. The Carlton Millrace Hotel in Enniscorthy fits the bill. Looking online there rate is €92pp/pn. And supplement of €25 per child over 6. 3 days for my family would work out at €621.

Then I read the small print and it mentioned "Published rates". So I rang the hotel and it turns out these are €125pp/pn + €75 supplement for family room. So this now totals €975. This works out at €244 in clubcard vouchers, which is still a good deal but not the steal it originally seemed.

Has anyone else used these "deals" yet? And found which to be proper 25% prices.

Or has anyone else booked a hotel using them and what was their experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

might be better in Consumer Issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I don't have any consumer issues here really. I thought the posters here would have used the Tesco deals, thats why I thought in this forum. Maybe in Bargain requests would suit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Only Clubcard deal I've used is a magazine subscription, I shopped around on the internet and found it was genuinely cheaper than anywhere else. Besides that I think some people go for the Stena Line or Irish Ferries deals. But again as you've spotted, the vouchers only offer discounts off published (usually the highest) rates. I think the selection of deals available aren't great. They're mostly things I wouldn't be buying, like breaks, theme parks, tourist attractions, magazines, restaurant vouchers, etc.... Looks like they have a better selection in their UK Clubcard Deals scheme. My 2 cents is I still think best value can be had using the vouchers for your shopping. If you shop carefully (ie. when Tesco have BOGOF's and special offers) €470 can go a long way in Tesco themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have used the restaurant deals as these are 4x the value. I went to Lemongrass and TGI Fridays on them. I also use Pigsback for the same thing :D I have over €500 worth when you multiply by 4 so im going to have to sit down and pick what restaurants i want and get some other stuff in there also.

I also have over €100 in piggypoints to redeem and i usually get restaurant vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

I've just paid for my entire family & car to go to France & back with Irish Ferries, on these vouchers.

Super deal.

No issue with published rates, as its the online prices what you can either pay with cash or clubcard deal vouchers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Cheers OP for posting this - you reminded me to call Readers Digest. Sent them the vouchers in December and still waiting for the magazine even after numerous calls! :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I used 4x for Insomnia. My wife and myself had free lunches and coffee for weeks......

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cruachan7

I sent €40 away and got €160 worth of hard rock cafe vouchers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

smccarrick wrote: »
    I used 4x for Insomnia. My wife and myself had free lunches and coffee for weeks......

Can you get small amounts are they all €10 vouchers, cause they don't give change? kind **** the insomnias in Spar don't take them,, cant see why cause you don't actually pay at the 'Spar' till

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kindalen

have used them to book a trip to france with irish ferrys,these are really great deals IF you were going to buy anyways.its worked out great for me..you can get vouchers for jewellers too,this just goes to show the mark up they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Would be interested in hearing if anyone used these in the jewellers yet? They offer 4 x your vouchers for Bernard John. In the Tesco brochure it says the minimum spend needs to be 300 yo-yos but when I went to the shop I was told each item must cost over 300. Which is a big difference because we were looking at buying some crystal glasses and stuff.
    I tried emailing Bernard John but none of the emails from their site work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

badbrian wrote: »
    Would be interested in hearing if anyone used these in the jewellers yet? They offer 4 x your vouchers for Bernard John. In the Tesco brochure it says the minimum spend needs to be 300 yo-yos but when I went to the shop I was told each item must cost over 300. Which is a big difference because we were looking at buying some crystal glasses and stuff.

Perhaps you should contact Tesco directly to find out the terms and conditions (00800 0 100 0707). The Clubcard Deals booklet simply says: "the total cost of your spend with Bernard John must come to over €300"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I had some problems using them in Apache pizza, so I gave up with them. I used them twice in TGI's, but the 2nd time I had a very bad experience in TGI's (no fault of Tesco's, so I'll never go back there again).
    So I kept the last 3 lots of vouchers, and was going to use them to get a magazine subscription for National Geographic Kids. But when I seen how many vouchers I needed to use, I thought it was a bit expensive. And when I went straight to the National Geo website, it was a fraction of the price (especially with the $/Eur rate)
    Hence ended up using the vouchers as a straight discount off the weekly shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

I've used them in the LeisurePlex in Blanchardstown, TGIs and Insomnia. Never a problem.

I am thinking of buying a watch in Walker and Hall in Swords. They should really accept the vouchers when the total spend is over €300 - not each individual item. However, I imagine that the jewelers were probably expecting most people to have only saved their normal allocation of points for the shop and may not have expected people to be arriving in with hundreds worth of vouchers having bought a TV or console at the cashback offers in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

badbrian wrote: »

I used €800 vouchers in the jeweller,Swords for 3 different items,no problem with them and they were very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

have used the vouchers for hard rock cafe, great value..don't know how they make money with these? (though they don't cover drinks in hard rock

as for the jewellery I can't figure that out at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I thought it was probably the best place to ask this.

I ordered some tokens for Dublin Zoo, but probably won't use now. However, I see in the terms that they sent me that you can use your tokens for any deal with a code beginning with R. So I want to try using them in Hard Rock cafe.

Has anyone tried this? Using the token for a deal other that the code on the voucher.

No problem as they are general vouchers with no specific name on them.Have used vouchers i got for jeweller in apache and harry ramsdens ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Thanks ninty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

as for the jewellery I can't figure that out at all!

Have a guess what kind of mark-up jewellery shops have? :eek:

• Advertisement

Not as much as the 75% extra i got with the vouchers and if it is i did not pay it.Thank you Tesco.Ideal for people getting engaged,married or wedding presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I was going to use some for the Carlton Hotel in Kinsale. The few days we were looking at, the price by booking over the internet was €49pps. However you can't use these prices and you have to phone their central reservation part. They wanted to charge €140 pps if we used the Tesco voucher!!!!:mad::mad:

Needless to say...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I have a stack of Tesco vouchers I want to exchange for deals

What is currently the best clubcard deal as in value for money out there?

Lots of thread resurrection going on but its a good question all the same.
    There are new deals these days but also some of the good ones are gone.

Perhaps the vouchers for Irish ferries and Stenna line are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I believe the Irish ferries offering is now nearly closed (you had to book by the start of May I think)

This doesnt leave a whole lot IMO

I thought that was just for the france crossings, anyway I would not use them on principal so would use stena line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Perhaps the vouchers for Irish ferries

As spank_inferno says that deal is over, was only going for travel before 1st May
    so summer holidays were out :(.
    Probably didn't realise so many people would use them for that.
    A few offers have gone over the last few years and not a huge number of new deals to replace them.

Current offers
    http://www.tesco.ie/clubcarddeals/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Irish Ferries vouchers ARE valid, only the routes to France expire after May :)

As I already said, use stena line but Irish ferries is still open to the UK, it only has their France routes finished on may 31st for clubcard deals. See below:

Please note that the Irish Ferries Rosslare/Cherbourg and Rosslare/Roscoff routes will not be available through Tesco Clubcard Deals from the end of May 2009. If you are planning to use your Deals Tokens for either of these routes you must ensure that they are ordered and travel is taken by 31st May 2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

what's wrong with them?

Advertisement