Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$1500 WSOP PLO

Options
  • 11-06-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Made it through Day 1 of the Omaha event. I only have a half-average stack, but that puts me near the bottom but amonst the 46 of the 759 survivors. Marty Smyth is also among the survivors doing a little better.

Maybe the most interesting moment of the tournament was bagging up the chips and needing to put a "home town" on the form. I thought for a moment and then realized that Dublin fit nicely in that space.

Cheers,
    Lawrence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Good Luck Lawrence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Good Luck Lawrence

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I was hoping that you were still in this Lawrence. Glad to see that the money I donated to you over the years is being put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

46 left. Average stack 49,500. Resumes at 2pm Vegas time (11pm here, I think). GL Bell Boy & Marty! :D

(Table 4)
    Seat 1: Jesper Hougaard -- 74,800
    Seat 2: Martin Smyth -- 44,500
    Seat 3: Allyn Shulman -- 21,000
    Seat 4: Chris Bjorin -- 24,600
    Seat 5: Ward Crane -- 67,500
    Seat 6: Eugene Todd -- 103,600
    Seat 7: Mel Randolph -- 65,400
    Seat 8: James Lampropoulos -- 30,600

(Table 5)
    Seat 1: Janice Pickering -- 40,500
    Seat 2: Mark DeSerrano -- 27,200
    Seat 3: Brian Sharrock -- 31,600
    Seat 4: Nam Le -- 59,500
    Seat 5: Douglas Smith -- 37,700
    Seat 7: Jason McIntosh -- 20,200
    Seat 8: Anthony Phillips -- 133,100

(Table 9)
    Seat 1: Randy Holland -- 15,100
    Seat 2: Daniel Martin -- 25,200
    Seat 3: Vanessa Selbst -- 203,600
    Seat 4: Todd Barlow -- 59,200
    Seat 5: George Watson -- 34,700
    Seat 6: Carter Gill -- 114,000
    Seat 7: Stanley Statkiewicz Jr -- 41,600
    Seat 8: Paul Magriel -- 26,500

(Table 10)
    Seat 1: Earl Odom -- 31300
    Seat 2: Eric Rosenman -- 25200
    Seat 3: Ryan Lenaghan -- 26200
    Seat 4: Colin York -- 21500
    Seat 5: Will Failla -- 39400
    Seat 6: Chau Giang -- 58300
    Seat 7: Greg Cox -- 82900
    Seat 8: Jamie Robbins -- 59700

(Table 12)
    Seat 1: Craig Natte -- 80,900
    Seat 2: Lawrence Cowsar -- 24,000
    Seat 3: Jordan Morgan -- 70,100
    Seat 4: Ken Lairson -- 7,600
    Seat 5: Rob Hollink -- 70,600
    Seat 6: Jeff Brown -- 14,700
    Seat 7: Mike Cook -- 40,100
    Seat 8: Max Pescatori -- 11,000

(Table 13)
    Seat 2: Jae Kim -- 26,100
    Seat 3: Tony Cousineau -- 40,000
    Seat 4: Calen McNeil -- 31,900
    Seat 5: Phil Reed -- 82,000
    Seat 6: Thom Schultz -- 48,300
    Seat 7: Trai Dang -- 69,000
    Seat 8: Kyle Hegeman -- 32,100

OOps, bolded Jordan M instead of Bell Boy. Don't know how to unbold in edit LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bell_boy

Best of luck man...
    You and Eugene Todd Bro for heads up!:D

Eugene was on my first table. Watched in dismay as he over called two all ins in the first level to find him holding KKJ6 vs AA** and AA**. He makes Jacks full of 6s to build up a huge stack from the get go. That's Omaha!

Next hand someone overcalls a bet and an all in with top and bottom pair to tripple up.

Rolf Slotboom quips that the table plays an "optimistic form of poker".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

go on my son!

(Table 12)
    Seat 1: Craig Natte -- 80,900
    Seat 2: Lawrence Cowsar -- 24,000
    Seat 3: Jordan Morgan -- 70,100
    Seat 4: Ken Lairson -- 7,600
    Seat 5: Rob Hollink -- 70,600
    Seat 6: Jeff Brown -- 14,700
    Seat 7: Mike Cook -- 40,100
    Seat 8: Max Pescatori -- 11,000

Blinds start at 800/1600. So it looks like one likely scenario is that Max bets pot on my big blind, Craig folds. What should I defend with? Looks like I'll need about 40% equity against Max. That is a wide range, but is there an easy way to categorize? 4 connecting cards against big pairs, a suit would help something like JJT8. Four nonpaired cards with an overcard if he's paired. Or given that it is so close, I guess it won't be too bad to fold and I should let suitedness guide my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Best of luck man. Hope you run as hot as a nuclear explosion and take it down.

What are the blinds starting at?

• Advertisement

Just reading some of the past updates on the cardplayer site. I lol'ed at this one

"With Selbst in the big blind, four players called 1,000 and the option was to Selbst. She min-raised to 2,000 and everyone jumped into the pool with her. The flop was AQ9 and Selbst led out with a bet of 8,000. Every player folded quickly and Selbst was nice enough to show her hand to everyone. She had A10JK for a flopped straight."

5starpool wrote: »
    What are the blinds starting at?

800/1600

eagle eye wrote: »
    Best of luck man. Hope you run as hot as a nuclear explosion and take it down.

Thanks, but I'm anti-nukes.

bell_boy wrote: »
    800/1600

Well if it is folded to him and he pots it for half his stack and the sb folds then call/bet with a decent hand that catches a piece of it would be preferable to raising I think, although with the stack sizes not sure if it matters.

Run good please Lawrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭con_leche

If you are thinking about defending some of the likely scenarios may be awkward for you on the flop given Max's stack size.

So you should decide on your attitude to risk/reward before sitting down to play.

E.g. say Max pots his first button and you defend with a rundown and hit top pair on a 9 hi flop. Are you happy to stick it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

Best of luck Lawrence. One of the stronger omaha players Ive faced over the years. A bracelet certainly wouldnt look out of place around your wrist imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

5starpool wrote: »
    Just reading some of the past updates on the cardplayer site. I lol'ed at this one

"With Selbst in the big blind, four players called 1,000 and the option was to Selbst. She min-raised to 2,000 and everyone jumped into the pool with her. The flop was AQ9 and Selbst led out with a bet of 8,000. Every player folded quickly and Selbst was nice enough to show her hand to everyone. She had A10JK for a flopped straight."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Marty Smyth out. Bell boy on 23k. 35 players remain. Avg. stack around 60k.

Abou 30 left now, Lawrence on 68k.

Go on my son!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

best of luck lawrence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

Lawrence Cowsar Eliminated in 20th ($5,905)

At the same time that Brown elimination was taking place, the last hand on another table saw another bustout.

Lawrence Cowsar limped from middle position, Eugene Todd called behind him, and the big blind checked. The flop came {4-Hearts}{7-Spades}{J-Hearts}. The big blind checked, Cowsar bet the pot, Todd reraised pot, the big blind folded, and Cowsar called with the rest of his chips.

Cowsar {3-Hearts}{3-Diamonds}{7-Diamonds}{7-Clubs}
    Todd {A-Hearts}{7-Hearts}{10-Diamonds}{J-Spades}

Once again we're seeing a flopped set vs. flush draw situation. The turn and river -- {Q-Hearts}{6-Hearts} -- brought one more heart than Todd needed, and Cowsar is out.

Todd is up to 102,000.

GG WP UL.

ya, just read that. Booooo.

Well Played Lawrence, hard luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

wp dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭William Money

just logged on... very well done lawrence
    excellent result for your first attempt!!

this should give you loads of confidence for the next event

best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Well done Lawrence, great result, great pity about the exit hand. You will be greatly missed around the Fitz, a gent on and off the table, if only we could clone your manners lol.

Take care

Martin & Colette

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

ship the 50k HORSE imo.

Thanks for all the congrats. I was great craic.

While I wished my exit hand would have stood up, I had been given a gift already. Blinds are 1500/3000. Selbest makes her standard and frequent 9000 raise from MP. Natte on the button calls. I'm in the BB and have 16k behind, so I push with As8s5c4s (or something similar). Selbest calls the extra 10k. And then Santa comes to town. Selbest must have been on around 300k, Natte has 125k or so. Natte asks if he can raise!?! And he does. I inappropriately stick my arms in the air and exclaim yes! I'm smiling, Selbest is shaking her head and has to fold. Natte turns over a good hand KhKdQhJh, but one for which I'm actually a tiny favorite! (Gotta love Omaha). I triple up, and Selbest is slightly tilted as she says she would have won.

I make a huge bonehead play just after the redraw for 3 tables. Blinds are 2000/4000. I'm in the small blind and it's folded to me. I have 90k and the BB is on 45k. I haven't played with the BB before. I look down at my hand and then quip "Maybe they'll let us chop". I complete. The BB looks at his hand and raises to 12k. The BB doesn't look very comfortable (I _never_ make body language reads, and you'll see why) as I think what to do. I realize that i uncharacteristically joked when I looked at my hand and decide I'll represent aces as that fits with the speach paly. So I reraise. BB eventually calls with kings, one of the hands I thought could lay down. I turn over my KJ98ds, but don't catch lucky.

A few hands later is the exit hand and Eugene was deep enough that I don't think the outcome would have changed. But hopefully confession will be good for the soul and I'll get that play out of my book.

Cheers,
    Lawrence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

great effort, well done

Advertisement