Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nightowl thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Summer holidays so that's my excuse.
    Being a lovely blight on society, you're welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

since i've moved to nz, i've 'settled down', go to bed relatively early (before 2am weekdays), and have had to stop drinking on weekends, so can't even stay up late doing that now... but before that, i'd easy be on here til 4-6am, only to drag myslef up at 9am to go out, catch some sleep on trains and in connolly station (how i miss thee), and do the same again the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Back in my college days I'd be up until 5am gambling on US sports using the 'In Game' feature on Betfair. 3 hours sleep then up for college. Won a decent amount of money and it was good fun.

Unfortunately responsibility has kicked in and I now have a full time job in Australia so I'm usually asleep by 1am our time, though at weekends I'm up until 4am or so watching football while pissed.

Time difference (+7 hours) means I'm posting here during work hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

During the week about 11am up again about 4 or 5 pm. Weekends depends on the session could be a day or two before I go to sleep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Whooooooooooo me? Just get'in started from Newport Beach, now that the sun is long gone. Sipping java in a coffeehouse, so there's a good chance I'll be around a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I work third shift so I usually don't see bed 'til around seven or 8 a.m. local time. Sleep my six hours, then it's wake-up, grab the sunglasses and begin dealing with whatever fresh load of garbage for the day. On my days off I just forget about sleep completely.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Tend to sleep 2am-7am most days during the week, and about 3am-midday at the weekend. I'm way more nocturnal than I should be considering my early mornings in college.

• Moderators Posts: 51,719 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

During the week, bed around midnight/1am up at 7.30am. Weekends could be anything from midnight to 5am to bed and out of bed, by the latest, mid-day.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I find that I work really well at night , and I do a majority of work /housework/study at night .
    I find there are less things to distract you and it is easier to get lost in it.
    I also enjoy the fact that I am being constructive ,even though I may lose sleep time because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I find that I work really well at night , and I do a majority of work /housework/study at night .
    I find there are less things to distract you and it is easier to get lost in it.
    I also enjoy the fact that I am being constructive ,even though I may lose sleep time because of it.

Bizarrely enough I find thinky work, like maths, and creative work, like drawing, are much easier at night. No way would I do housework at night though, thats DoomTime, not work time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I don't notice a difference in how I'd think in terms of diurnal or nocturnal cycles. Though I reckon when writing it's more cynical and bleak when I do it at night, probably a reflection of the lonelier and somewhat more introspective nature of thought.

Has resulted in having to rewrite a few essays the next morning. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I work well at night ladies :)

Actually, day or night it doesn't matter :pac:

meanwhile back OT...i tend to do better work rather than more work in the small hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I focus much better on college work at night time, probably the whole mindset of, "X amount of words til sleeptime!"

• Moderators Posts: 51,719 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The few times we were installing projects during the night, I definitely worked better. Then again, knowing that any time spent working was eating into my sleep time might have been an incentive.:D

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Depends what I'm doing really, I'm best at coding during the afternoon/early evening, but I'm better at writing at night. Not a morning person in any way, shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Not really night, but when it's dark outside I work better. So I can work earlierin the Winter. The brighter it is the more I feel I should be out doing something! Though I remember in 5th year coming home pissed one night and studying chemistry for an hour or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I think the reason I get more done at night is cos there's no distractions. There's rarely anything on tv, there's no one screaming around the house cos you've left the toilet seat up etc.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes to most of the above ... though I don't tend to get more cynical at night, quite the opposite in fact, you want negative / pissy catch me in the morning before I'm fully awake (i.e. in approximately the first two hours after I drag myself out of bed! >_> )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

writing code i find easier late at night but studying? no way, especially if test is next morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Definitely. Been studying all week for my exams. Best work is done late at night up until about 2 or 3.
    Then get up at 12 or so the next day and repeat.

did ALL my homework at night, and was an A/B student through most of school. always more creative and into it then. listen to music and learn lyrics to tonnes of it at night too, always more receptive to music at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Yes. Because I generally don't have to think about shopping or kids bothering me or whatever...

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

I play music and I definetly work better at night, day gigs just wouldn't do it for me-or anyone else for that matter! Recording is better done at night too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I never study past 11pm except in exceptional circumstances.

Programming is different, I can and do do that at night, but I don't think it's exclusively a night thing, I think it's a brainwaves thing. I reckon you need your brain to be operating on different frequencies for different tasks. Normally, when I want to achieve this state, I listen to trance music (These days, usually some Cosmic Baby or Vibrasphere). However, I find it can come on naturally at night (Probably because a quiet, peaceful lack of distraction can put you into a similar "trance" as the music does). When this happens, I call the place I reach "This Deafening Ambiance", which is when I write my blog, which I've named after it :p

I think that you need to be in one state of mind for absorbing information, i.e. studying, and for me this is being alert and lucid, whereas programming and other creative tasks have more to do with applying logic and recalling information, which is better done in a slightly different mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I never study past 11pm except in exceptional circumstances.

Programming is different, I can and do do that at night, but I don't think it's exclusively a night thing, I think it's a brainwaves thing. I reckon you need your brain to be operating on different frequencies for different tasks. Normally, when I want to achieve this state, I listen to trance music (These days, usually some Cosmic Baby or Vibrasphere). However, I find it can come on naturally at night (Probably because a quiet, peaceful lack of distraction can put you into a similar "trance" as the music does). When this happens, I call the place I reach "This Deafening Ambiance", which is when I write my blog, which I've named after it :p

I think that you need to be in one state of mind for absorbing information, i.e. studying, and for me this is being alert and lucid, whereas programming and other creative tasks have more to do with applying logic and recalling information, which is better done in a slightly different mindset.

My boyfriend's the exact same, he's always up late listening to trance when he programs!

I get the thing about your brain operating on different frequencies, I can listen to music while doing maths no problem, but when it's something creative like French or English there's no way I can have anything but silence on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Well, when I'm in college and have work/projects to do, I do most of my best work at night. Less distractions, and less chance of people bothering you at night.

Imo it's easier to get more done, at least, at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have trouble functioning at all when it's the "early" most people recognise as 9am onwards. 1pm til 3-4am now, that's good territory. Tea makes anything possible, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I find studying for exams is best done after about 10 pm to 3 am, that's when I learn the most for exams anyway.

Advertisement