Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Sligo

Options
  • 08-06-2008 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Are there any good gyms in Sligo that let you pay as you use them and not have to become a member?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You can pay a fiver a day to use the gym in the IT. It's nice and quiet this time of year, too.

Pity the outdoor track is always locked though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I'm not too familiar with the IT - where is the gym there?

It's at the back of the campus

The big white building next to the track here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

Xiney wrote: »
    Pity the outdoor track is always locked though.

You can use that too; it's not locked as such, there's a turnstyle for which you need to get a token from whoever's on the desk. I assume it's the same cost or included in the price for the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Has Spirit re opened the gym yet in Riverside ?

• Advertisement

bennyc wrote: »
    Has Spirit re opened the gym yet in Riverside ?

Due to open last Tuesday AFAIK, not checked yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Has anyone been to the College gym recently? I haven't been there in a few years now. Just wondering if they had a bench press or squat rack?
    If not any other pay as you go gym with a decent set of free weights would do.

sobriquet wrote: »
    You can use that too; it's not locked as such, there's a turnstyle for which you need to get a token from whoever's on the desk. I assume it's the same cost or included in the price for the gym.

Ah!

Well I've been running around the gaelic pitch for free anyhow :P

Has anyone been to the College gym recently? I haven't been there in a few years now. Just wondering if they had a bench press or squat rack?

Nope, just a smith machine. Must ask if they're planning on getting bars or a rack. Doubt it at this stage. Decent enough gym otherwise.

Yup, there isn't a decent gym in Sligo that is pay as you go.
    I went up to the Sports complex and their weight room isn't very good but they do have a bench press down stairs and a setup for deadlifting (no squat rack), but that room is reserved for Sligo GAA club :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I went up to the Sports complex and their weight room isn't very good but they do have a bench press down stairs and a setup for deadlifting (no squat rack), but that room is reserved for Sligo GAA club :rolleyes:

FFS. Didn't know that, always saw that room idle when up swimming thrashing about using the pool.

Must check out Riverside, will let ye know if someone else doesn't first. For anyone interested, the Mercy college opened a gym, I went up to check it out recently. Not bad - bench/frame for pressing, heavy dumbbells, dip/pull up frame, smith... but no squat/power rack. Is there even one in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

There is a uber fantastic, out of this world, unbelieveable, wet your pants gym/leisure centre being built in Ballisodare.

Absolutely awesome. Members only though.

Culchie has inside knowledge;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

Not so sure about the college gym but the main one, the sports complex is very good. I personally go for the swim, it's the best workout you can have as you use all of your muscles. The also run aerobics classes there during the year. Very good I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

<snip> Let's try to keep this on topic, eh people?

Ha Ha. Rainier Wolfcastle. The guys a legend. Go Homer, climb the Murderhorn.

sobriquet wrote: »
    smith... but no squat/power rack. Is there even one in town?

Thats something I wouldn't mind finding out - is better bodies still going?
    I used to hate that place but I have to say, at least it had a squat rack and I think, 3 benches.

Culchie wrote: »
    There is a uber fantastic, out of this world, unbelieveable, wet your pants gym/leisure centre being built in Ballisodare.

Absolutely awesome. Members only though.

Culchie has inside knowledge;)

Is this even members only or is it for residents of the new apartment complex ? Any idea of prices or when its due to open.

Thats something I wouldn't mind finding out - is better bodies still going?
    I used to hate that place but I have to say, at least it had a squat rack and I think, 3 benches.

No, don't think so. As it is it looks like riverside is our last hope. Anyone checked it out yet? I'll see if I can drop by tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Had a look last week and there were still workmen there, didn't bother going any further than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

bennyc wrote: »
    Is this even members only or is it for residents of the new apartment complex ? Any idea of prices or when its due to open.

Open to members (only) and I believe priced below their main competitor (Sligo Park) I think the new owners received membership as part of their purchase deal.

I'd guess about 3 weeks to opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

10 years membership with property purchase i hear,

any contact details on buying membership introductory rates etc for the Ballisodare Gym.

Great news lads, spirit is open! Todays the first day, you can get a free session to try it out for the month of June. I've just come from there and its brilliant! (at least in comparision to my old gym). Good size weights room, lots and lots of plates (over 300kg), dumbells up to 50 I think (might only be forty though), cable machine, smith, they have a power rack on order (there are a few things that haven't arrived yet) and I think one of the benches converts to a squat rack but the woman in charge didn't think so. The changing rooms aren't 100% complete but the showers are working and everything, they even have hair dryers! Its like they said "what can we put in a gym to make brian join?" :D

p.s. I don't actually work for them, in case it seemed like it. I'm just so happy to have somewhere with a proper weights section!

Edit: oh yeah prices, its 500 a year for the platinum membership, which includes all the classes, 395 without, even less for off peak membership, and I'm joining for three months at 50 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Whereabouts in Ballisodare is it ?

I'm just so happy to have somewhere with a proper weights section!

Sweet, cheers for the heads up. I phoned on Saturday but no reply, was going to drop around today or tomorrow. €395 for a year seems like a sound price for what it is. Sure I think the complex is €50 a month too.

Ah crap, now I've no excuse for not starting a weights routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I'm near sure Spirit is the Gym in Riverside is it not?

Yah you are right takola.
    @Sobriquet, they are also open saturday 9 to 6 (and the woman I was talking to said they were open sundays as well, but its not on the leaflet I got) so there's doubly no excuse now! Are you around in the mornings? It would be nice to have someone to train with, even if my back is in bits for the last while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It always amazes me how much people are willing to pay to put themselves through sweaty pain. A Sky box costs less. :D

You must be doing it wrong if you are in pain, I always feel great after the gym!

• Advertisement

they even have hair dryers!

Great sales pitch Brian. Must check them out. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement