Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting....

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

and why is it the two main roads into port from dublin have narrow bridges with traffic lights and single lane system??? they really need to get the finger out and sort it? it causes such a delay! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Ruby-J wrote: »
    and why is it the two main roads into port from dublin have narrow bridges with traffic lights and single lane system??? they really need to get the finger out and sort it? it causes such a delay! :(

Its been thought about but I think I heard someone saying that the bridges can't be widened for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Steve_o wrote: »
    Yea that roundabout has been in the works for ages, its badly needed there, its a dodgy junction at times!!

Steve your not serious are ya?! It's a junction that is never overly busy,and has been manageable for years!
    Ruby-J wrote:
    and why is it the two main roads into port from dublin have narrow bridges with traffic lights and single lane system??? they really need to get the finger out and sort it? it causes such a delay!

Because it's been that way for decades! The bridge in Monastrevin leading to the bog road is a Kildare County Council issue, they're not going to change anything to benefit Port, especially when it isn't needed! The work they did on that bridge by putting lights on it helped a good bit. The system works well, the sensors on both sides of the bridge are very accurate. I don't think I've ever got caught for more than a few minutes at either side!

The bridge at Kilmullen/Kilenure is a problem only because lorries kept hitting it and iirc CIE requested that something be done. Thats why it is now finally been shut down to do work on it as was said here. When that is completed it will ease the traffic there, but one of the main problems at that bridge is the timing of the lights are all arse-ways.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Steve your not serious are ya?! It's a junction that is never overly busy,and has been manageable for years!

Most of the day, i'm talkin about when people are comin out of the station, its a bloody free for all then, Its grand if you're goin down station road, but if you wanna scross to go down canal road its a pain in the arse, I've nearly been hit there a few times!

Yeah but for that collective hour throughout the day it's not worth it to have to put up with people who seem to find it impossible to navigate/indicate on a roundabout for the other 23!

• Advertisement

Yeah but for that collective hour throughout the day it's not worth it to have to put up with people who seem to find it impossible to navigate/indicate on a roundabout for the other 23!

Suppose thats a good point!!

damn crappy drivers who can't take roundabouts properly...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

For that one hour it's a dangerous junction. I think installation of a roundabout would make that junction safer and maybe we'll have to put up with people not indicating on the roundabout.

That junction is dangerous also because of 1-2 offending cars that park their all day Monday to Thursday to close to the junction. It blocks the view of all traffic coming from the station side. Installation of double yellow lines like what has recently being installed at the junction to the train station would make things a hell of a lot safer. Cheaper than a roundabout.

Because it's been that way for decades! The bridge in Monastrevin leading to the bog road is a Kildare County Council issue, they're not going to change anything to benefit Port, especially when it isn't needed! The work they did on that bridge by putting lights on it helped a good bit. The system works well, the sensors on both sides of the bridge are very accurate. I don't think I've ever got caught for more than a few minutes at either side!

The bridge at Kilmullen/Kilenure is a problem only because lorries kept hitting it and iirc CIE requested that something be done. Thats why it is now finally been shut down to do work on it as was said here. When that is completed it will ease the traffic there, but one of the main problems at that bridge is the timing of the lights are all arse-ways.

Yeah the lights on the bridge on the bog road work really well. The sensors monitor the traffic. It was great of Kildare county council to do something properly.
    The lights on the kilmullen bridge aren't as high tech. a set length of time in each direction. A temporary measure until they replace the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Steve_o wrote: »
    Most of the day, i'm talkin about when people are comin out of the station, its a bloody free for all then, Its grand if you're goin down station road, but if you wanna scross to go down canal road its a pain in the arse, I've nearly been hit there a few times!

Its dangerous because you seldom have a clear view due to cars/vans/lorries parked obstructing vision and because of the fast speed that alot of people drive on Station Road.Also if turning on to Canal Road and you're facing traffic that is turning on to Canal Road (opposite direction) theres usually not enough room to cross behind the oncomming vehicle and instead traffic crossess in front of oncomming vehicle running the risk of collision.
    I'm not sure that a roundabout is the answer,perhaps traffic lights would be a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

is de train from port quick at all

• Advertisement

port wrote: »
    Its dangerous because you seldom have a clear view due to cars/vans/lorries parked obstructing vision and because of the fast speed that alot of people drive on Station Road.Also if turning on to Canal Road and you're facing traffic that is turning on to Canal Road (opposite direction) theres usually not enough room to cross behind the oncomming vehicle and instead traffic crossess in front of oncomming vehicle running the risk of collision.
    I'm not sure that a roundabout is the answer,perhaps traffic lights would be a better option?

I don't think their is enough traffic for traffic lights. while a roundabout is not ideal it would at least give drivers an idea who has right of way.

That junction is also currently dangerous for pedestrians.

Any i agree it need something

donvito99 wrote: »

Not quick enough i hear. A few people on here have commented on it constantly running ten minutes late. Which train you thinking of taking? It depends on which one your taking. I presume you heading to Dublin

donvito99 wrote: »
    Generally on time,and depending on where it's stopping it'll be 45-1hr!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

smokestone wrote: »

Enterprise are you sure that the two trains that leave Portlaoise in the mornings come from the depot and not from Heuston? There is a train that arrives in Port at 07:06 and its final destination is Portlaoise, surely this is the 07:20 train from Portlaoise.

I'm certain.

The 0630 and 0720 Portlaoise - Heuston services are fresh out of Laois Train Care. The train you see is the 0615 Heuston - Portlaoise, this forms the 0740 Portlaoise - Heuston.

Enterprise.

Generally on time,and depending on where it's stopping it'll be 45-1hr!

Yup, bar engine failure....(which happens more often that you'd think:()

Or the good old reliable.....''signal problems''!

Advertisement