Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry to the Deli Counter Guy...

Options
  • 05-06-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Im a bit of a bitch at times, dont make small talk with people and only talk when i have something worthwhile to say... Also, im a bit shy behind my bitch bravado, i think put up walls around myself as a defence mechanism... ANYWAY.

I was standing in the queue for my sandwich minding my own business, the guy in front of me kept turning around looking kind of at me and past me and hopping from one foot to the other. Anyway, it was clear that he was trying to catch my eye, so me being evasive as i am i kept looking anywhere but at him.... This continued for a minute or two.

FF to him ordering his sandwich, the girl from behind the counter had to come out to get him his roll off the shelf as he wanted a brown one and all she had was white... Anyway, he looked at me again and spoke to me (even though he didn't catch my eye) and said 'aww now i feel bad for making her come out'. I replied 'dont worry about it, im sure she's well used to it' in a kind of 'rolleyes' fashion. He didn't talk again after that.

Anyway, i just wanted to apologise to him for bein what must have seemed like a snotty cow, im sure he was a lovely bloke and that wasn't my intention, i just dont know what to say or do in situations like that. Then I thought to myself while driving home, its lucky i have a boyfriend as i wouldn't get one with the way i carry on... Also made me feel for single people, it cant be easy to approach someone like that off the cuff.

So, do people actually exchange numbers, meet up with and fall in love with randomers that they meet in everyday life or does that only happen in the movies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Bendihorse wrote: »

So, do people actually meet up with or exchange numbers with randomers that they meet in everyday life or does that only happen in the movies?

I do, but then again, i'm a bit mad. met some amazing people that way though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

People always talk to me when I'm queuing up to get a roll, they think they're hilarious with their witty comments. "All that red sauce is for the missus, she likes it saucy huh huh huh" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'm glad we could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Something similar happened to me once before, i was eating lunch in a cafe on my own... Didn't have any reading material so was just kind of looking around. There was a guy sitting a few tables away from me in direct eye line with me and i ended up catching his eye by mistake a few times.

Anyway, he got up to leave and a few mins later the waitress came down and handed me a note and said 'the gentleman that just left asked me to give you this' - course they were all tittering and laughing about it and i went pure red cos the whole coffee shop knew what was going on by now. That, for me, was one of those 'ground open up and swallow me' moments.

Anyway, on the note he had written something like 'i noticed you noticing me, an invite to dinner and his number'. I didn't call it and never went to that place ever again in case id meet him and not know what to say... I know im the weirdo here but i cant help it!! :)

Anyone else got any stories of random approaches to add to the mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

OP is this like PI do you want help with this issue or are you happy as you are?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah... Thanks for sharing.

Anyone else got any stories of random approaches to add to the mix?

Best idea i ever got was off Thaedyal here, business card with my number on one side and "Free drink Voucher" on the other.

Don't have to say a word, walk up, hand them a card, walk away. Worked about 70% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Rob_l wrote: »
    OP is this like PI do you want help with this issue or are you happy as you are?

I thought it was the standard 'I gots hit on...but remain bashful and modest' thread.

Nah sorry, not a PI at all, im in a long term relationship and happy out. I felt bad for him for some reason though. I duno. Just posted a random thought that was in my head after lunch.

And whoever added the 'lonely, PM me tag' Fair play. Never saw that feature being used before, but it should be more of a 'Im bored at work' tag.

Delete thread if its not appropriate, its not a matter of life or death, just a lighthearted after lunch discussion.

Karoma wrote: »
    I thought it was the standard 'I gots hit on...but remain bashful and modest' thread.

Damn how could i miss that of course thats what it was, damn bashful modest women are ruining modern life.

Dear penthouse
    Today I met a modest bashful woman in the spar who gave me a dirty look and a smart comment when I tried to be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Partly the reason why so many guy's are afraid to say anything when they may like a girl in case they hurt his feelings or be snotty back, to be honest I have no problem talking to any random people ladies or fella's it's the way I am and if a girl aint interested and gives me a smart ass reply I let it roll of my back and think "Thank god that didn't go any further"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Partly the reason why so many guy's are afraid to say anything when they may like a girl in case they hurt his feelings or be snotty back, to be honest I have no problem talking to any random people ladies or fella's it's the way I am and if a girl aint interested and gives me a smart ass reply I let it roll of my back and think "Thank god that didn't go any further"...

QFT!

Nothing worse than a girl being snotty when you just want to strike up a conversation, I generally just shake my head and walk away from her in those situations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Translation: Ugly bloke tried to chat me up. Wasn't interested. Feel momentarily guilty. Would have flirted if he was hot. End.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I went up to a girl in college completely at random, noticed her around a few times but never spoke to her.

We got on great, spent the next few hours in her company, walked her home and exchanged phone numbers to boot.

Can't say it's something I usually do though.

I went up to a girl in college completely at random, noticed her around a few times but never spoke to her.

We got on great, spent the next few hours in her company, walked her home and exchanged phone numbers to boot.

Can't say it's something I usually do though.

But you SHOULD! it's loads of fun!

Ha!

I havn't the balls.

Funnily enough though, I always get women coming up to me in my reserves uniform. Rarely in my normal clothes but myself and my friend nearly always have a group of females approachign us on our way to the barracks.

stovelid wrote: »
    Translation: Ugly bloke tried to chat me up. Wasn't interested. Feel momentarily guilty. Would have flirted if he was hot. End.

Actually, he wasn't ugly, not bad lookin at all. I would have found it a lot easier to be friendly if he was ugly tbh. The reason i posted wasn't cos i felt sorry for him really, it was more cos i guess i admired him for going out on a limb, even though i didn't know how best to respond...

Red, sounds like you get a great kick out of it, the business card idea is great too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

how do you know he was trying to chat u up??
    perhaps he was just trying to pass the time and make small talk.

Im sure he'd be happy to know you felt sorry for him.:rolleyes:

Red, sounds like you get a great kick out of it, the business card idea is great too :D

I do! Seriously, i try and meet one new person a day. Remember names can be a bit of a bast**d but i have to say, it's sh1t loads of fun. it was my new years resolution :D

RedXIV wrote: »
    I do! Seriously, i try and meet one new person a day. Remember names can be a bit of a bast**d but i have to say, it's sh1t loads of fun. it was my new years resolution :D

Except when you go to a party with people you haven't seen in years but may have had good conversations with at the time and they come up and talk to you, now you don't have the faintest idea who they are and then it comes...

"Do you even remember me?"

"Ehhhhhhhh sure yeah...your...em...errrrr"

Had this happen to me recently, including the guy's party who's it was when he talked to me i'd no idea who he was lol.

• Advertisement

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    how do you know he was trying to chat u up??
    perhaps he was just trying to pass the time and make small talk.

Im sure he'd be happy to know you felt sorry for him.:rolleyes:

I was waiting for this :rolleyes:

I KNOW he was trying to chat me up cos im just SO dam HAWT.

Believe it or not EVEN i get chatted up at times.

I also said after my initial post that it wasn't that i felt sorry for him, i admired him for going out on a limb and was sorry i had reacted the way i did. I wouldn't have the guts to approach someone off the cuff like that.

RedXIV wrote: »

Good resolution...must give it ago.

I was waiting for this :rolleyes:

I KNOW he was trying to chat me up cos im just SO dam HAWT.

I also said after my initial post that it wasn't that i felt sorry for him, i admired him for going out on a limb and was sorry i had reacted the way i did. I wouldn't have the guts to approach someone off the cuff like that.

But aren't you from Roscommon?

Pics for proof.

Steve_o wrote: »
    Good resolution...must give it ago.

reccommend it to everyone ESPECIALLY to those with issues with confidence, it will make your confidence go through the roof

I was going to say this but thought better thankfully you did though it needed to be said

Rob_l wrote: »
    I was going to say this but thought better thankfully you did though it needed to be said

Ha!:D Poor 'ol Roscommon gets an awful doin'....

Well fellow roscommoners are still prepared to stoop to my level at the moment anyway :pac:

All thats left to happen now is for someone claiming to be the guy from the deli counter to jump in and tell me he wasn't chatting me up that he just felt sorry for me because i was from roscommon and had a face like a bag of spanners...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭ats

as we're all pouring our hearts out and saying sorry, i remember a few years ago i was on holiday in germany and had an accident. some american lass took me to the A&E as i was getting myself put back together i asked for her number. never did ring her. can still remember her name too

• Advertisement

Well fellow roscommoners are still prepared to stoop to my level at the moment anyway :pac:

All thats left to happen now is for someone claiming to be the guy from the deli counter to jump in and tell me he wasn't chatting me up that he just felt sorry for me because i was from roscommon and had a face like a bag of spanners...

Well now that you mention it...I think i'm bleeding inside my chest...

Advertisement