Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English- How did your first day go?

Options
  • 04-06-2008 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Was pretty happy with both papers. How did it go for everyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

i thought paper one was grand but paper two really difficult, time was scarce and i didn't fancy any of the poem, drama or novel questions even though i had them studied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 stop_the_craze

Well, I went really great but then I realised on the Personal Writing Section of Paper One I forgot to add in the sentence it asked you to include in your composition...

Do you think I'll lose many marks for it?

Any help much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

I didnt like the reading section on paper 1 that much and I hated the poetry questions on paper two but apart from that it was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Well, I went really great but then I realised on the Personal Writing Section of Paper One I forgot to add in the sentence it asked you to include in your composition...

Do you think I'll lose many marks for it?

Any help much appreciated.

If you put down the number of your choice then you probably won't lose any marks. If you didn't put that down, then it all depends.

I left out the "Poem I have studied" and "Novel I have studied". That's me down 60 marks already.

I've no idea how some people managed to write a 4 page essay as I only had 15 minutes left for the last question and I only wrote two pages for the essay on Paper 1.

• Advertisement

If you put down the number of your choice then you probably won't lose any marks. If you didn't put that down, then it all depends.

I left out the "Poem I have studied" and "Novel I have studied". That's me down 60 marks already.

I've no idea how some people managed to write a 4 page essay as I only had 15 minutes left for the last question and I only wrote two pages for the essay on Paper 1.

Thanks. I hope I don't lose any marks because my story was really good. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 oisin238

I liked paper 1 it was easy essay titles were good paper two though ugh i hated it but i got threw it maths tomorrow so good luck every one :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

"An implicit link with the textual prompt is sufficient" according to the Marking Scheme anyway. Best of luck, sir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Cathal93

Unfourtunately our teacher once gave us out this sheet which said if your story is only a little relevent you get marked only out of 45.....and if no reference is made at all its out of 20......i think u could be in trouble because you technically didnt make any reference......

Anyone else think that the charles darwin was really hard.....aswel as the studied drama and poetry questions were hard to!!! Who agrees????

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Went cool today :D. Nothing crazily difficult

Cathal93 wrote: »
    i think u could be in trouble because you technically didnt make any reference......

(S)He didn't use the line, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a relevant essay - he hardly just wrote the first essay that popped not his head. He said he forgot to mention the line so it was more than likely a relevant story.

Obviously using the line would be better, but you can make reference without actually quoting it.

I'd say he'll be fine.

iFight wrote: »
    (S)He didn't use the line, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a relevant essay - he hardly just wrote the first essay that popped not his head. He said he forgot to mention the line so it was more than likely a relevant story.

Obviously using the line would be better, but you can make reference without actually quoting it.

I'd say he'll be fine.

My story was about this guy being bullied and chased down streets and eventually getting to his house and having an alcoholic mother and thinking about how his life's so bad.

The line that was meant to be included was "It was the unfairness of it all that annoyed me the most." I could have put that line in anywhere in the story so I don't know if that makes it relevant or not...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Cathal93

My story was about this guy being bullied and chased down streets and eventually getting to his house and having an alcoholic mother and thinking about how his life's so bad.

The line that was meant to be included was "It was the unfairness of it all that annoyed me the most." I could have put that line in anywhere in the story so I don't know if that makes it relevant or not...:(

I still think it could be bad......because in the other titles you need to make specific reference to the title.....or you will lose loads of marks.....but because this is a line....you have to quote exactly that line.....if they didnt take off marks that in theory u cud enter the exam and write about anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The Darwin passage was so boring! But Paper two didn't seem too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just had a look at it there

Does not seem as easy as last year, thought the Darwin passage was boring also, Piste.....would not like to have answered that!

Personal writing topics dont look to appetising, either!

glad I had my JC last year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Reckle

i thought paper 1 went grand
    but paper 2 was really difficult mostly cause i had to rush a load of questions cause i went over the time limit and didnt write long enough answers :( :S

Cathal93 wrote: »
    I still think it could be bad......because in the other titles you need to make specific reference to the title.....or you will lose loads of marks.....but because this is a line....you have to quote exactly that line.....if they didnt take off marks that in theory u cud enter the exam and write about anything!

As i said (and taken from the Marking Scheme at Examantions.ie): ""An implicit link with the textual prompt is sufficient."

So he won't lose many marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Madeleine

I loved Paper 1, twas easy peasy.
    Not so sure about Paper 2 though...Am I the only one that thought the unseen Fiction was the most irritating piece of writing in the world?

• Advertisement

LaVaughn!!!!!!!! hahaha hated that and the poem :(
    it was so crap a bit no sensical tbh but id around 15 mins to answer the whole fiction section cause ms thick here fecked up on her time :(

iFight wrote: »
    As i said (and taken from the Marking Scheme at Examantions.ie): ""An implicit link with the textual prompt is sufficient."

So he won't lose many marks.

Thank you for your suppourt. Even if I do lose marks, I tried my best, right? At least it wasn't my LC!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Madeleine

Oh yeah and, in the Nasa one- were we meant to write that as a letter or just an essay type thing?

Madeleine wrote: »
    Oh yeah and, in the Nasa one- were we meant to write that as a letter or just an essay type thing?

It was meant to be a competition entry so I did it like a formalish essay. :confused:

no idea :s
    i did the other one about intercultural communtiy in school
    how did you find paper 2 overall?

No worries. Best of luck with the rest of your week.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

Madeleine wrote: »

Half my class did it as a Formal Letter,and the other just as an essay. I did it as an essay,but I was thinking maybe it was meant to be a Formal Letter, I still don't know! :confused:

when i was considering the option of the nasa question i thought it had to be done in formal letter form but chose the other one bout intercultural stuff

• Advertisement

Advertisement