Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FunFair in the Showgrounds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,870 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Did you throw up at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

muffler wrote: »
    Did you throw up at all ;)

No. :eek:

Ask me again in a couple of days after the beans on toast malarky...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

We won a small green dolphin on the "pick a bag" game (games requiring luck or, gasp, skill!? HA!) Not so bad for 2 Euro actually - in Canada if you did one of the "win every time" games you'd probably get a small teddy bear toy about 3" tall. ("x-small" prize - they've got a whole system so you can trade in smaller prizes for larger ones) This thing is a "medium" prize in Canada.

The prices were better for rides as well (if we ignore exchange rates)

The last "fun fair" type fair I went to, the ferris wheel was only half as high and cost $5 per person. Most rides were around $5 and the kiddie rides were $3. So honestly, complain if you like, but I was delighted. And a Euro in? That's probably just to keep opportunistic troublemakers out.

They should have had more food though - I was starving around 7pm and all that was available was popcorn, candyfloss, slushies, flying saucers and marshmallows. (So of course I went for the flying saucers. Duh. There's nutrition!) They'd have made a mint with one of those mobile chip shops I'd say.

Xiney wrote: »
    They'd have made a mint with one of those mobile chip shops I'd say.
    Mobile chip shops at funfairs wouldn't be that welcome I would imagine.

Did you throw up C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I lost interest in fairgrounds when it became non-P.C. to have freaks on show (bearded ladies, spider babies etc). :)

• Advertisement

I lost interest in fairgrounds when it became non-P.C. to have freaks on show (bearded ladies, spider babies etc). :)
    You're fucking sick

Just taking the mick, Muffler. Weirdly enough though, the other day I was reading about fairground "freaks" (usually disabled / deformed / abnormal people whose families couldn't afford to look after them) ... and the use of them in fairgrounds only really died out in the the UK in the early 70s. I'd always imagined that only went on up to the 1920s.

Spider babies, btw, only ever existed in the imagination of Father Dougal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Pfft, what a bunch of rip off merchants, it vexes me a lot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a stingy git, but they are now charging you for the pleasure of browsing around? I know its only a quid, but thats beside the point. I have been there year on year for the last twenty or so years and I love the fact that you can just take a wander in and look around without even doing anything. I'm disgusted that they are now charging you to see whats there, not to mention how much the rides cost. Yet again society is trying to squeeze as much out of the consumer as they can at any one time.

I have to say I kinda agree with the 1 euro fee as it keeps the number of hoodies down. Usually you would have hundreads of kids/teens hanging around all day every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

OK, maybe I over-reacted a little before:eek:, but its the principal of the thing, They were always free. My gf is scared of any sort of high rides and wouldn't go on any of them. I happen to love them would go and find the biggest one I could find. So she would have to pay just to stand and watch. I'm ok with the rides being a bit more expensive, I just think the entry fee is one step too far, thats all.

There are "50cent off the price of the rides" vouchers in the Sligo Post. If you go on 4 rides, you'll get back the €2 it cost you & your gf to get in. ;)

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Mobile chip shops at funfairs wouldn't be that welcome I would imagine.

Did you throw up C.

None of the rides are that vomitty - and when I got hungry I wanted to exit the park and get some food, but the ticket box people didn't speak English so they didn't understand when I wanted a stamp to come back in.

And what's your fascination with puke anyway? :P

And what's your fascination with puke anyway? :P

He's a sick man.

/gets coat

There are "50cent off the price of the rides" vouchers in the Sligo Post. If you go on 4 rides, you'll get back the €2 it cost you & your gf to get in. ;)

Hmmm, interesting.......................

sueme wrote: »
    He's a sick man.

/gets coat

*grooooooan*

*grooooooan*

Please don't ban me :o

I checked the charter, but there's nothing in there against puns.

I checked the charter, but there's nothing in there against puns.

Yet :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Did ya see me at the top of the ferris wheel? Did ya did ya did ya?!!

were you the one screaming

LET ME OFF, LET ME OFF!!!!

;)

irish-stew wrote: »
    were you the one screaming
    Did you throw up when you were on them?

It was so good we're doin' it twice.

Off again tonight, I was begged, begged I tell ya, to go again...

*cough*:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It was so good we're doin' it twice.

Off again tonight, I was begged, begged I tell ya, to go again...

*cough*:o

dont scream, dont throw up,

;)

I'm confused, Crazy cat lady is now an airy fairy?

Ok, so I gave in to peer pressure and wet to the hurdy gurdys (Thats what I call them:D)

Not a bad set up, and certainly better than anything cullens had ever brought to sligo. However it was a bit moot for me with my gf's aversion to heights and rides and stuff. Still, I went on the thing next to the big wheel, whateveryacallit. It was mad. I love big scary high flying rides, but this was too much. I think it doesn't cater for the taller people in life. I am 6 foot four, and when I was clamped in there was no space between the clamps and my shoulder. I was pinned down with no scope for movement. It was quite painful on my shoulder for the time I was in it, but I have to say, if I wasn't in pain, I would have feckin loved it cos those are the things that do it for me. That plus my GF won me a dangermouse teddy:D

I'm confused, Crazy cat lady is now an airy fairy?
    I'm searching for inner peace.

Ok, so I gave in to peer pressure and wet to the hurdy gurdys (Thats what I call them:D)

Not a bad set up, and certainly better than anything cullens had ever brought to sligo. However it was a bit moot for me with my gf's aversion to heights and rides and stuff. Still, I went on the thing next to the big wheel, whateveryacallit. It was mad. I love big scary high flying rides, but this was too much. I think it doesn't cater for the taller people in life. I am 6 foot four, and when I was clamped in there was no space between the clamps and my shoulder. I was pinned down with no scope for movement. It was quite painful on my shoulder for the time I was in it, but I have to say, if I wasn't in pain, I would have feckin loved it cos those are the things that do it for me. That plus my GF won me a dangermouse teddy:D

That thing was crazy, if I had got the balls to go on it, I'd want to be clamped in.

Go Dangermouse!

That thing was crazy, if I had got the balls to go on it, I'd want to be clamped in.

You really should have went on it, it was fecking mad I tells ya!

Advertisement