Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FunFair in the Showgrounds

Options
  • 03-06-2008 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Went up to this last night with the kids and went on some "up down spin around at 100mph yoke" you get fecking value for money up there the ride lasted about 12minutes and I was ready to puke after 2 :o.

But in fairness the ferris wheel is pretty class loking over the town better than the travelling fairs of the past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Yeah. It'll be interesting to see if Cullens get back in after that! Looks far superiour!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

When does it finish up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Dunno when its finished but Rovers dont play there again till the legends game on the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

think it finishes this weekend, not to bothered about going to it tbh, just hope the astro pitches are still open, if so, hope the punters aren't worried about the odd stray ball heading in their direction

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Yeah, I remember those long evenings at the funfair up there :)
    The spinning cups (the waltzers?) were the best

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    think it finishes this weekend, not to bothered about going to it tbh, just hope the astro pitches are still open, if so, hope the punters aren't worried about the odd stray ball heading in their direction

:D

Astro is still open

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

what type of prices are the rides? might head up some evening, many a happy day spent in showgrounds as a young fella between the rovers and when funfair was in town, not sure about ferris wheel though, heights not my thing:o:D

what type of prices are the rides?.....

.....not sure about ferris wheel though, heights not my thing:o:D

heard that was a fiver per person

I'm hoping to go Thursday night, I hope its still there, if anyone hears for sure please let me know. Thanks.

sueme wrote: »
    I'm hoping to go Thursday night, I hope its still there, if anyone hears for sure please let me know. Thanks.

found the site here sueme, but seems out of date, last event on it was 2005, although think it runs till thurs or fri night at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

It's there till the 9th I'm almost sure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I heard it was a €1 in and around €3.50 a ride. That's pretty pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Yep that's what I've heard too. I've heard alot of the rides are better though and the fun house is supposed to be great fun (I suppose we could take that from the name though :D) for anyone with kids. :)

Welcome to the world of kids... money money money

€1 in, pay seperatly per ride, there till sunday june 8th, was playing football on the astroturf tonight, seen the billboard when i was there

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Do they have cotton candy? What about candy apples? Corn on the cob?

...hot dogs? omg I would muuuuurder a good char grilled hot dog.

Xiney wrote: »
    Do they have cotton candy? What about candy apples? Corn on the cob?

...hot dogs? omg I would muuuuurder a good char grilled hot dog.

Hey Canadian girl!

Cotton Candy = Candy Floss - Probably
    Candy Apples = Toffee Apples - Doubt it
    Corn on the Cob = Corn on the Cob - Not a hope
    Char grilled Hot Dog = Reheated suspect looking sausage - Possibly

Enjoy!

€1 in, pay seperatly per ride, there till sunday june 8th, was playing football on the astroturf tonight, seen the billboard when i was there

;)

Irish Stew. Boards Spy Extraodinaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I call shenanigans!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

i was there last saturday. best ever funfair in sligo. try and rob a bank before you go if you want to make your kids real happy.
    the mouse trip is scary. 3.50 per person.
    was not on ferris wheel due to fear of heights but i think it was only 3 euro pp
    enjoy

• Advertisement

I'm so going on the ferris wheel. Mr Xiney too, whether he likes it or not.

Candy floss + suspectlookingsausageinabun ahoyhoy! I love fairs :)

(They always use the crappy bruised apples for candy apples anyway)

Yeah its about 3 -3.50 per ride but you dont feel as ripped off as you sometimes do at these things.
    Yes they do have Candy Floss and if you need a sample I have loads on the floor / over seats / windows in the back of my car.

One thing to note is you know that game where you pay up to 5 euro for the bunch of tickets to make up 21 and win one of the massive teddy bears..... Its obvious that yer man has the hidden stash of odd numbers and single 21 cards. Well he seems to not let you spend too much before he slips in the odd number. I was watching for a while and everyone got a winner before spending more than a tenner including us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I went up last night,rides varied from €2.50-€3.50...the wild mouse was great and you can buy your picture after it and its displayed on a screen,thats a waste of money though,I just took a picture of it with my mobile phone!

My friend actually won a teddy bear on the stall where you have get 21 with your tickets,and she only spent €5

The view of the town from the top of the ferris wheel is great,and on a nice evening you just cant beat it.

Candly floss is €2 a stick and unfortunately for Xiney there are no Hot Dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Pfft, what a bunch of rip off merchants, it vexes me a lot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a stingy git, but they are now charging you for the pleasure of browsing around? I know its only a quid, but thats beside the point. I have been there year on year for the last twenty or so years and I love the fact that you can just take a wander in and look around without even doing anything. I'm disgusted that they are now charging you to see whats there, not to mention how much the rides cost. Yet again society is trying to squeeze as much out of the consumer as they can at any one time.

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Pfft, what a bunch of rip off merchants, it vexes me a lot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a stingy git, but they are now charging you for the pleasure of browsing around? I know its only a quid, but thats beside the point. I have been there year on year for the last twenty or so years and I love the fact that you can just take a wander in and look around without even doing anything. I'm disgusted that they are now charging you to see whats there, not to mention how much the rides cost. Yet again society is trying to squeeze as much out of the consumer as they can at any one time.

does the other funfair charge admission (the one there later in the summer), or is it just this one, doesn't seem to be keeping people away though, loads there this evening, any idea how much rovers earn from it

does the other funfair charge admission (the one there later in the summer), or is it just this one, doesn't seem to be keeping people away though, loads there this evening, any idea how much rovers earn from it

Did ya see me at the top of the ferris wheel? Did ya did ya did ya?!!

I really enjoyed it, plenty there for all ages, and really nice staff too.
    Expensive after awhile, but worth it.

I have a happy girl curled up asleep with a Unicorn bigger than her! Thanks for the tip about the "21" game, although I still hadn't a clue how to play it (signs weren't very helpful), we came away victorious!

And Mr & Mrs Xiney get extra special thanks for making my nephew a very happy lad, his mother and auntie were too chicken for the more extreme rides, but my nephew had a ball thanks to them!

does the other funfair charge admission (the one there later in the summer), or is it just this one,

This is the only fun fair that I've come accross that they actually charge you to go in. Hence my disdain

Haha, the rides were great - I had a blast.

Got a shock on the ferris wheel though - I was planning on taking pictures of Sligo from the top so I was setting the camera up and when I looked back out we were at the top and I had a minor freak out... but after that it was great.

However! Strictest bumper cars ever! I think we're banned... we were bumping which apparently isn't allowed?? 3/4 of the way through we realised that the ride operator was screaming at us to stop bumping and to go in one direction - shoot man, it's not go carts! NO BUMPING!!! :confused:

Xiney wrote: »
    Strictest bumper cars ever! I think we're banned... we were bumping which apparently isn't allowed?? 3/4 of the way through we realised that the ride operator was screaming at us to stop bumping and to go in one direction - shoot man, it's not go carts! NO BUMPING!!! :confused:

See what i mean? Its a fun fair gone mad. They should call it a dull fair or just a fair! Bumping cars are just crappy carts that you pay a fortune to crawl around in if you can't BUMP stuff. The're Bumping cars for god's sake!!!!!

The world is going MAD,;)

• Advertisement

Big_Mac wrote: »

Can't say the entrance fee bothered me Big Mac, they do have alot of portaloos just at the entrance, which, this being Sligo, I thought was a nice touch, so perhaps you could look at it like that. :D

I do think its a pity they don't do a set price for the rides, like e30 for a pass, or a family ticket etc, besides it being a pain getting cash out for each ride, it would be much easier for families to budget for the trip.

Anyhoo we enjoyed it. Beans on toast for the rest of the week, but the view was worth it! :)

Advertisement