Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Interesting development and 06Z inline with 00Z
    An area of instability off the SW coast will approach there sometime late afternoon and spread gradually NE across the country.
    Attach are the 06Z for Cape LI and risk area. 50% overall.
    As the jet intensifies (300mb) before exiting the area things get favourable.

Contd

Met.ie have changed there forecast and are onboard with the risk now
    Today
    Heavy rain or showers at times in many areas this afternoon with some heavy thundery downpours in places, some drier periods also. Top temperatures 13 to 17 degrees and breezy.

Tonight

Further persistent and at times heavy rain tonight in northern areas, clear periods and heavy showers elsewhere, with a continuing risk of thunder. Lowest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees. Becoming very winds overnight.

An area near to the midlands has intensified recently moving NE.
    Some gusty winds are being reported from the midland stations.
    Notice the curvature forming of the image indicating intensification.

latest_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Any chance someone could mark that curvature on the radar for me? i cant seem to see what snowbie is referring too.:confused:

i see a little tail curl kinda like the hook echos they got over in the good ol USA where tornados form from.

• Advertisement

This be a bit clearer as it's zoomed out.
    Play the loop and see the curvature forming.
    Similar to tornado's but this less dramatic. The tip of the hook on the southern side is where you would get a tornado forming.
    I was commenting on the intesification of the rain in my post with gusty winds in the midlands.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Ts over Clare heading towards Galway and a couple of Strikes now over Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Just had a very active thunderstorm here in NW Clare followed by rain which was unbelievable 40ml in 15 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thunder heard in Oranmore,Galway

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Raining buckets in the city. I can see lighting and hear thunder aprox 7 secs after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

Huge flash of lightning nearby - about 10 seconds between it and sound of thunder. Rain has abated a little bit, looks like a clearance on the way from the south

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Really heavy rain here in Galway City with thunder.
    I've never seen it so heavy :eek:

Dublin road flooded near merlin park hospital, a couple of inches near the hospital entrance.
    Traffic is slowing down through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

RoisinD wrote: »
    Just had a very active thunderstorm here in NW Clare followed by rain which was unbelievable 14cm in 15 mins!
    Yes that is unbelievable!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Darwin wrote: »
    Huge flash of lightning nearby - about 10 seconds between it and sound of thunder. Rain has abated a little bit, looks like a clearance on the way from the south

Yep, I thought I heard a rumble here in Portlaoise around that time alright. Didn't see that flash of lightning you're reporting, though. Just had another louder rumble here about a minute or two ago and the rain's pretty heavy too. Can't see the clearance to the south you've mentioned yet, though.

Neither Snowbie's or Danno's detectors seem to be picking up anything from either of those rumbles yet either. Maybe it's fairly weak or something.

*edit* Both detectors showing a +IC strike in Laois now from the most recent rumble, I'm guessing...... but in different areas! :D Guess it takes the pages a few minutes to update.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

biko wrote: »
    Raining buckets in the city. I can see lighting and hear thunder aprox 7 secs after

So much rain fell in galway!
    All the same, it's nice to see a thunderstorm once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just had another rumble here but the sky is starting to brighten up a bit and that clearance seems to be finally coming here from the south - southwest that Darwin mentioned before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Full on thunderstorm here for the last half an hour. Some really powerfull forked lightning and ripping thunder. Only just got electricity back. . Rain is heavy but not exceptional.

Edit: That was a big one!!!!

Edit: severe downpour now! with thunderbolts!!

I'm in heaven...

edit edit: 15mm in less than 10 mins. my hands are shaking with excitment with big thunder. A grim evening.

47mm recorded from the downpour so far, not a bad total for 30 mins. Thunder and lightning continuing but less frequent. Still raining heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Lot of thundery noises coming from my SW (I'm in Dundalk), been pouring here for 3 hours or more since drying up after the earlier heavy rain...rain is easing now but thunder is getting louder...long rolls of it too. No lightning yet....radar is interesting.

[edit]
    Huge intercloud strike just now, 7 seconds between the flash and the noise, showing up on snowbies storm vue about 10 miles south

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

47mm
    OMG :eek:

• Advertisement

Oh look blue sky overhead, typical.
    Sheild holding.West is best again.:pac:

Snowbie wrote: »
    Oh look blue sky overhead, typical.
    Sheild holding.West is best again.

I wish you were here snowbie, I need someone to share the excitment with, everyone else in the house thinks I am mad!!!

49mm total from that shower, which brings my day total to 54.3mm. Thunder distant now, with rain easing. But seem to be another shower building over Tuam at the moment, hoping there is part 2 in a while!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Congrats on the TS Deep Easterly, it finally arrived for you heh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I wish you were here snowbie, I need someone to share the excitment with, everyone else in the house thinks I am mad!!!

49mm total from that shower, which brings my day total to 54.3mm. Thunder distant now, with rain easing. But seem to be another shower building over Tuam at the moment, hoping there is part 2 in a while!:)

There'll be a lot of flash flooding with a downpour like that. Would be good if you can get to see aftermath tomorrow (probably too late tonight.
    Could warrant its own thread?

It's not finished yet Paddy. More showers as you said building over Clare/Galway and over Cork pushing NNE. In a clear dry slot and no signs of anything to come here untill maybe later?

Mothman wrote: »
    There'll be a lot of flash flooding with a downpour like that. Would be good if you can get to see aftermath tomorrow (probably too late tonight.
    Could warrant its own thread?

Back garden is a swimming pool at the moment, with the road out the front just simply a river during the downpour. Rain has started again, modestly.

Snowbie wrote: »
    It's not finished yet Paddy. More showers as you said building over Clare/Galway and over Cork pushing NNE. In a clear dry slot and no signs of anything to come here untill maybe later?

Never say never, what position is that depression at the moment?, if it passed to the north of here in time, then the west flow afterwards could swing them showers your way. Pressure here is 999.4 mb and falling still.

Clouds breaking up to the south of me, but can see 2 distinct anvils in the clearence, roughly east of GAlway city. Can be seen on radar as the tail end of that mainband. Heading for N. Midlands later??

latest_radar.gif

Edit. Clearence is revealing somecb's to my southwest now. they must be dead as there is nothing showing up on radar.

Another heavy shower just moved through here. I didn't observe any lightning but lights continue to flicker. As we get our electricity from Claremorris I would imagine there is lightning around that general direction somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

dloob wrote: »
    Really heavy rain here in Galway City with thunder.
    I've never seen it so heavy :eek:

Dublin road flooded near merlin park hospital, a couple of inches near the hospital entrance.
    Traffic is slowing down through it

Dunno what what the roads might be called, but passed this lake on my way into the pub in Galway earlier this evening:
    Big puddle in road
    Car driving through puddle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement