Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Leaving Cert Quiz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

OK....emm Philip Larkin.

England'd finest pre-war poet.
    Born Covertry 1922...Led a 'coloured childhood'.
    Only child + constant tentions between his parents.
    Led to him becoming shy & self conscious...stammer etc...
    Described his parents saying "they weren't very good at being happy" and summed up his childhood as being "a forgotten boredom."
    Stopped writing 10yrs before he died claiming he'd lost his inspiration....

Church Going
    Thought Provolking...religious poem by an athiest etc
    Trying to find out churchs' meaning..
    Atmospheric poem...onomatopaeia, imagery etc...

An Arundel Tomb..
    about aging statue of Lord Arundel and his wife....Theme = passage of time/ changes.....People only see the statue as a symbol of love...whereas If times hadn't changed so much (and people could read the latin on the statue) they would know of his many victories etc...

The Whitsun Weddings...
    Happy poem...describing his train journey from hull 2 london....describe things he can see from carriage window etc... imagery
    characters you can realte to when he arrives at the wedding...

MCMXIV
    about the "long uneven lines" of men queuing up to enlist in the army...resembles lines to get into a sporting event at "The Oval or Villa Park" on an "August Bank Holiday lark"
    Sympathy towards these brave men....

Conclusion...enjoyed his poetry..highly recommend his work blah blah blah...

:D

any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

Peleus wrote: »

Physics: Give two properties of the Weak Nuclear Force
    French: Est ce qu'il vous est arrivé d'avoir peur? Décrivez vos sentiments. Write out a plan to this
    English: "Rich can be described as both a personal and political poet" Do you agree with this statement? (Plan)

Physics: 2 properties of the weak nuclear:

responsible for beta-decay (pls say i'm right!)
    short range
    felt by all particles (thats 3 i know bt just to b sure)

French: don't understand the q..does it mean "have you ever been afraid?"
    i think i answered a q about being afraid in the mock. i told a realy sh1t story about when i ws young & got lost, using very bad french. got a b though :)

English: i hate rich! but yeah, she is political, um, because she was an activist or something, she's a feminist, politics is part of her being or consciousness or something :confused: and she's also personal because she writes from her own experiences a lot, etc.

physics: what are x-rays?
    what is the cockcroft-walton experiment famous for? (3 points)

biology: give a brief description of how protein synthesis occurs in the cell
    give an example of symbiotic bacteria in the alimentary canal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

Protein Synthesis

1. Initiation: Enzymes cause DNA to unwind, at the site where synthesis is to take place.

2. Transcription: Complementary RNA bases move into the nucleus from the cytoplasm and bond with one exposed strand of DNA. RNA polymerase joins the RNA bases to form mRNA.

3. Translation: mRNA moves from the nucleus to the small sub-unit of a ribosome. tRNA moves to the large sub-unit. tRNA anticodons join with complementary mRNA codons and appropriate amino acids are detached. Ribosome constructs proteins from the amino acids.

- Bacteria in the colon of the large intestine produce Vitamins B and K in return for food and shelter.

Business:
    Functions of the Director of Consumer Affairs? 4x5 marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

physics: what are x-rays?

X-Rays are electromagnetic waves with high frequency and short wavelength.
    Cockroft-Walton Experiment split the atom.

Physics Q: In the F against A experiment, using the trolley and the weights over the pulley, why must you put the weights onto to the trolley when they are removed from the end of the string?

Chemistry Q: In the bleach titration, why can't you use "thick" type bleach? And why must the bleach be diluted?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Parsley wrote: »
    X-Rays are electromagnetic waves with high frequency and short wavelength.
    Cockroft-Walton Experiment split the atom.

Physics Q: In the F against A experiment, using the trolley and the weights over the pulley, why must you put the weights onto to the trolley when they are removed from the end of the string?

I didn't know you had to do that but...

F=ma
    so since you are measuring acceleration at differnent forces the mass of the system must be kept constant. taking the weights off without putting them on the trolley would be taking mass from the system, thereby creating an error in you results.

Physics:
    In the experiment to measure equilibrium for coplanar forces, why must the spring balances be kept at right angles to the meter stick?
    physics:

It was the first transmutation of a nucleus by artificially accelerated particles. By firing protons at the nucleas of a Lithium atom two alha particles were produced. give eqt...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Physics:
    In the experiment to measure equilibrium for coplanar forces, why must the spring balances be kept at right angles to the meter stick?

So that the forces are perpendicular to the distance. In the formula M = Fd, d refers to the perpendicular distance.

It was the first transmutation of a nucleus by artificially accelerated particles. By firing protons at the nucleas of a Lithium atom two alha particles were produced. give eqt...

7_3 Li + 1_1 p -> 4_2 He + 4_2He + E

And the E turned to be equal to mc^2 which proved Einstein's equation.

There's a load of unanswered questions on this page so I'll refrain from asking one.

I didn't know you had to do that but...

F=ma
    so since you are measuring acceleration at differnent forces the mass of the system must be kept constant. taking the weights off without putting them on the trolley would be taking mass from the system, thereby creating an error in you results.

Correctamundo!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Chemistry:

1) You shouldn't use thick bleach, as it can't be diluted to a homogenous solution, because of it's tendency to sink to the bottom.

2) You must dilute the bleach, because household brands are too strong, and undiluted bleach would require massive amounts of potassium iodide and H2SO4

Okay, my question(Chemistry agan): why is the disodium salt of EDTA used in the water hardness exp., as opposed to regular EDTA?

kaki wrote: »
    Chemistry:

1) You shouldn't use thick bleach, as it can't be diluted to a homogenous solution, because of it's tendency to sink to the bottom.

2) You must dilute the bleach, because household brands are too strong, and undiluted bleach would require massive amounts of potassium iodide and H2SO4

Okay, my question(Chemistry agan): why is the disodium salt of EDTA used in the water hardness exp., as opposed to regular EDTA?

Re your first answer, we were told it was cos the thickening agents interfere with the reaction and result in an innaccurate endpoint.

Ummm, shot in the dark here, but is it cos it's a primary standard? :o

Oh, okay, thanks!

And the disodium salt is used because EDTA itself is really unsoluble.

• Advertisement

Oh, okay, thanks!

And the disodium salt is used because EDTA itself is really unsoluble.

Ah, I'll remember that one now!

More chemistry, as it's the easiest to quiz on- Explain Pauli's exclusion principle, the Aufbau principle and Hund's Rule of maximum multiplicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭salman85

Ah, I'll remember that one now!

More chemistry, as it's the easiest to quiz on- Explain Pauli's exclusion principle, the Aufbau principle and Hund's Rule of maximum multiplicity.

no idea becuase its unlikely to come up

maximum multiplicity i think is to with electrons being as far as possible from each other in pairs

but dont care either way

chemistry :: in the clove oil exp why are whole cloves used instead of ground (RSP 2002) 12 marks (2 reasons atleast i think)

physics :: how to demonstrate lenz's law.

give the formula for neuclear disintigration

Pauli's: No more than 2 electrons can occupy an orbital, and they must have opposite spin.

Aufbau: When building up the electronic configuration of an atom, electrons occupy the lowest available energy level

Hund's: If two or more orbitals of equal energy are available, electrons occupy them singly before filling them in pairs

Questions: Chemistry: To which region of the spectrum do the following series refer?

1) Paschen

2) Ballmer

3) Lyman

Pauli's: No more than 2 electrons can occupy an orbital, and they must have opposite spin.

Aufbau: When building up the electronic configuration of an atom, electrons occupy the lowest available energy level

Hund's: If two or more orbitals of equal energy are available, electrons occupy them singly before filling them in pairs

Questions: Chemistry: To which region of the spectrum do the following series refer?

1) Paschen

2) Ballmer

3) Lyman

1st 2nd and 3rd energy levels?

unlikely to come up as well.

Dude, those are exactly the type of things that come up in Q4

Paschen= Infra red
    Ballmer=Visible
    Lyman=UV

salman85 wrote: »
    chemistry :: in the clove oil exp why are whole cloves used instead of ground (RSP 2002) 12 marks (2 reasons atleast i think)

physics :: how to demonstrate lenz's law.

give the formula for neuclear disintigration

Whole cloves because ground cloves have lost most of their oil.

I know Lenz's law but not sure about demonstration...

Nuclear disintigration? Beta and alpha radiation decay?

Alpha - a/b X -> a-4/b-2 Y Beta - a/b X -> a/b+1 Y

Whole cloves because ground cloves have lost most of their oil.

I know Lenz's law but not sure about demonstration...

Nuclear disintigration? Beta and alpha radiation decay?

Alpha - a/b X -> a-4/b-2 Y Beta - a/b X -> a/b+1 Y

DN/DT

lenz's law = magnet and a non magnet inside a tube, magnet falls slower, non magnet falls fast
    waffle about induced EMF

and

i have done nearly all question 4s, never came across these, or i skiped em by choice

uncertenty principle comes up
    rutherford comes up
    bohr comes up
    we didnt even learn that crap in class,
    if your going for A1s then yeah its probably worth knowing them, but if you are going for A1, its unlikely you will do question 4 unless you know the whole course inside out.

Lenz' Law demo: Take a piece of hollow copper tubing, with a small metal cylinder, and a small cylindrical magnet. Drop the metal through first, note time taken. Now drop the magnet. It will take far longer to travel through due to the change in flux linking the copper pipe caused by the magnet, which induces an emf that opposes the movement of the magnet.

What about some Irish prose? List the filming techniques used in Clare sa Speir?

if your going for A1s then yeah its probably worth knowing them, but if you are going for A1, its unlikely you will do question 4 unless you know the whole course inside out.

Well, I think that, generally, a person that deserves an A1 ought know the whole course inside out. For any subject. But this is off topic...

I know that copper tube yoke, just forgot that it was lenz's law being demonstrated.

Didn't do clare sa speir, ah well!

• Advertisement

(other Irish prose) for anyone who can

Is the title "Fiche Bliain ag Fas" apt?
    Where is the humour (;)) in Fiche Bliain ag Fas?

Differences between uni life then and now in Lig Sin i gCathu?
    Mairtin O Mealoid's character traits?

I can't stand Irish but anyway.

Humour - yer man pukin his ring after two pints.

As for tother one, i dunno really. Spose times have changed in that you can't get appointed head of a college through an accident really. No real agro over fighting between the free state and the blueshirts.

Character traits? Dunno who martin is but i'll just assume he's the student. Likes to drink, doesn't give a flying fúck about going to lectures. Disrespectful, laughed at yer man's cod eye. Couldn't take it when yer man mentioned his da.

An mhaith!!
    Humour - yer man pukin his ring after two pints.
    Plus Tomas standing up in the middle of the bar when he was hammered, acting like on oap, and challenging everyone to fight him. And his comments about the "scrogaire"

As for tother one, i dunno really. Spose times have changed in that you can't get appointed head of a college through an accident really. No real agro over fighting between the free state and the blueshirts.

+ Lack of involvement of the Catholic church nowadays, at least in the NUI's. And, that 3rd level education is "free" now, not just restricted to the moneyed elite.
    Character traits? Dunno who martin is but i'll just assume he's the student. Likes to drink, doesn't give a flying fúck about going to lectures. Disrespectful, laughed at yer man's cod eye. Couldn't take it when yer man mentioned his da.
    Bang on :D

Okay, my last questions before I bow out to go cram some chemistry:

Ratio of hypocholorite to thiosulphate in bleach titration?
    Ratio of dissolved 02 to thiosulphate in Winkler titration?

And some Biology: (I spent about 8 hours yesterday doing 3 of the sample papers)

How many ATP's are produced, if respiration is anaerobic?
    List the possible sources of error in your ecology study?

And his comments about the "scrogaire"

What's the scrogaire? Been a while since i revised it.
    Ratio of hypocholorite to thiosulphate in bleach titration?
    Ratio of dissolved 02 to thiosulphate in Winkler titration?

2:10 and 1:2 i think? I haven't revised the titrations yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Ratio's?

Can't you just work it out from the equations?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭hoggie-bear

The Walsho wrote: »
    Time for another one of these perhaps?

I'll start with an easy one. Maths : Give the formula for solving a quadratic equation.

+/- b(square root) -b(squared)+4(a)(c)
    over 2(a)???
    i suck at maths!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

+/- b(square root) -b(squared)+4(a)(c)
    over 2(a)???
    i suck at maths!!
    That can be used when the quadratic equation can't be solved using two brackets back to back. The answer you normally get from that is a surd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I think the formula is actually:

-b+/-(sq root)b^2 - 4ac
    2a

I think that's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

350992lg.jpg

Thats the -b formula

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

cian1500ww wrote: »
    350992lg.jpg

Thats the -b formula
    Yeah, I was just showing hoggie-bear it because his was slightly wrong.

Advertisement