Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request to update charter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

BFSL wrote: »
    There is no need to test them, all lasers should have their power rating printed on them by law.

The power printed on the label is not necessarily always the exact same as the power being outputted. It's not so much a problem with quality brands (which im sure you are stocking) as it is for cheaper ones. It's like what we seen in airsoft. You can get cheap chinese clones that are outputting waaaaaaay over what's on the box. Cheaper chinese lasers are known to have similar issues. I think if you're going to be pointing anything at other people at a skirmish then they should be tested to make sure they fall within the legal and safe level. It just makes sense really.

But anyway, cheers for the scan guys!. Be great to get this sorted once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Question guys, and before I start I'm not really a fan of lasers (red blinky things flashing in my face) how do we test them? is there a "chrono" or some equivalent test for power output? or do we just go by whats on the label, again forgive me for my ignorance on this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

there is a test that will tell ya how powerful it is., i have no idea how it works though., i imagine it would be expencive to get the "chrono" so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From a google first glance they seem to cost around $1500 and up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Shine it in your eye for 5 minutes, and if you go blind, don't use it in a game.

Simple.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Some muppet in Duncannon was selling super-cheapsoft airsoft (I use that term loosely) AEG's to everyone and anyone. Quite a few of the €7 ones had lasers on them. I must have had half-a-dozen lasers shun in my eyes over the weekend.

Annoying : Yes, very much so. I don't like them being shun at me.
    Dangerous : Nope, unless I was balancing somewhere dangerous..say, like the 60 foot drop at the edge of the fort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ok, I'm back from a few days away, got gazillions of mail to check and this is the first thread I've read since it's a charter request.

I will read this threa in full along with the attached document; have a word with a few other mods for their thoughts on wording,e tc. and then have something to show soon regarding Derek's request.

[edit: I'm referring to the airsoft adverts forum charter ... sorry ... brain no worky very well right now]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭BFSL

o1s1n wrote: »
    The power printed on the label is not necessarily always the exact same as the power being outputted. It's not so much a problem with quality brands (which im sure you are stocking) as it is for cheaper ones. It's like what we seen in airsoft. You can get cheap chinese clones that are outputting waaaaaaay over what's on the box. to be Cheaper chinese lasers are known to have similar issues. I think if you're goingpointing anything at other people at a skirmish then they should be tested to make sure they fall within the legal and safe level. It just makes sense really.

But anyway, cheers for the scan guys!. Be great to get this sorted once and for all.

As far I am concerned it is sorted, a good quality laser is cheap to buy so why buy a
    o1s1n wrote: »
    cheaper Chinese laser.
    I have not heard of high power cheap Chinese lasers and I don't think any Chinese companies would use more expensive materials to produce such lasers.
    It is cheap put a larger spring into a product, but to put higher quality components into an even cheaper product such as a laser, would not be viable and the Chinese only use cheap components. All said and done, the issue was not about what could be used, it's about what can be used legally, after that the law takes over and it is not our place to enforce the law only obey it

heres one thats 4 times the legal limit or there abouts for only 12 yoyo's.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7862

I like the idea of having a real functioning LAM but i cant see myself actually using the laser much, just a fancy novelty really.,

vtec wrote: »
    heres one thats 4 times the legal limit or there abouts for only 12 yoyo's.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7862

I like the idea of having a real functioning LAM but i cant see myself actually using the laser much, just a fancy novelty really.,

easily recognizable in the field, its green and it will still have the power levels on the label, but as I said, this is not the issue the issue was about what was and is legal to use. it also says this, similar power to True 5mw, but cheaper, 5MW are legal and this laser is only similar in power

Cons: Around 5mw

• Advertisement

If you look at the reviews on these cheap pointer lasers you will see that they are hyped up to sell them, the chinese think that if they say bigger, better, stronger etc, that people will buy them, and that might be true, but they don't realise that some people can't buy them for legal reasons so they lose that side of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

Just a little foot note I think everyone should be made aware of "Red Laser Pointers" are very safe to use, I've read a few transcripts of studies done with 5 milli watts from the Mayo Clinic in the USA,
    However the Green lasers are of a shorter wavelength which can damage the eye.

So I'd just like to avoid any fuss from the get go on this

Red = Good
    Green = Bad
    (who'd have ever thought of that lol)

Edit: heres one of the transcripts for your own perusal
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2005-rst/2800.html

If your wondering why I did research into this, the answer is simple. I paid alot of money so I could see with better than 20/20 vision and I'll be damned if I loose it from carelessness. :D

Any news from the MODS on the charter change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Necron99 wrote: »
    If your wondering why I did research into this, the answer is simple. I paid alot of money so I could see with better than 20/20 vision and I'll be damned if I loose it from carelessness. :D

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Red = Good
    Green = Bad

Damn, I have enough trouble remembering traffic lights without having to remember this!!:p:p

Am I to assume that the charter is changed?:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ok the charter has changed. We consulted the admins and they were of the opinion that mounatbe lasers may or may not be illeagle but talking about it wasn't.

My personal reading of the relevent documents is that the DoJ them selfs dont know and they have avodied a definitive answer. I think the real crux of the issue is wheather or not the part of the law that refers to "scopes that emit a beam of light" means lasers or not.

Anyway everyone is now free to bash it out to their hearts content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Bugger.
    Now I that can talk about them. - I find that there is nothing to say......

Hate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 llort

im a newbie here so am unfarmiliar of the ins and outs regarding the legality of lasers, especially their power levels and the mounting of same to it be ok airsoft device.

would it be ok to hot melt glue this to my mac and rip people out of it at HRTA or would i have to buy a propper mount, ie fit for the purpose?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12806

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

llort wrote: »

Awwwww Cool :D
    Blue laser FTW!
    Is it legal though, no.
    The spectrum goes -To put it simply-:
    Red Green Blue

So if red a legal and green are not, you can bet your last penny blue are illegal.

Which is a shame....

(Unless the bit about being designed to be mounted comes into effect, the one above isn't)

• Advertisement

Which is a shame....

(Unless the bit about being designed to be mounted comes into effect, the one above isn't)

any laser rated at more than 5mw is illegal weather it has mounts on it or not, so you could be pretty sure thats gonna be illegal.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 llort

right what if i had 3 or more 5mw lasers mounted on a tri-rail that were zeroed in for say 25ft with all 3 being in the one position at that distance.
    technicall speaking im not breaking any law am i?

no, that wouldnt be illegal.,
    kinda stupid but not illegal., lol.,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

llort wrote: »
    right what if i had 3 or more 5mw lasers mounted on a tri-rail that were zeroed in for say 25ft with all 3 being in the one position at that distance.
    technicall speaking im not breaking any law am i?

TBH we do not know as it is unclear from the DoJ what is legal or not. There is no point asking people here if it is or not. If you want to do it then go ahead, it will be on your head if the Gardai decide the law doesn't cover you slapping them on the front of your AEG/GBB.

As a side note I would never glue something to the front of my AEG/GBB, get the proper mounting kits for whatever accessories you add. That way if you decide to sell you will get the best price for them and glueing stuff on normally looks naff.

Personally I believe this whole laser thing is just more gear pron and gun masturbation at its worst :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Bugger.
    Now I that can talk about them. - I find that there is nothing to say......

Hate that.

HAHAHHA, your quote says it all methinks...and i think gandalfs comment on gun pron is further money shot , if you can excuse the rather crude analogy...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well my opinion on it is as follows, if you add all this crap to your AEG you have to lug it around and it definitely doesn't make you a better player.

Had the pleasure of playing with and against the Madrai on Saturday and Wolf from the team plays with a €40 Springer shotgun and was by far the best player on the field. No lasers, flashlights, big scope etc just a bb in the forehead for the enemy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

gandalf wrote: »
    Had the pleasure of playing with and against the Madrai on Saturday and Wolf from the team plays with a €40 Springer shotgun and was by far the best player on the field. No lasers, flashlights, big scope etc just a bb in the forehead for the enemy :)

+1

Myself and Wolff had a few fun exchanges both up close and at range, including one very well won hit [from him on me] at the top of the laneway. I was impressed with the range and accuracy he was getting with that springer considering at one point we were trading fire from the laneway to the first group of portacabins at the top of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

That may be, but on those grounds we don't need our replica guns to look the part, but it does make the game alot more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Just a little foot note I think everyone should be made aware of "Red Laser Pointers" are very safe to use, I've read a few transcripts of studies done with 5 milli watts from the Mayo Clinic in the USA,
    However the Green lasers are of a shorter wavelength which can damage the eye.

Red = Good
    Green = Bad

Edit: heres one of the transcripts for your own perusal
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2005-rst/2800.html

Ah boo!!!!! I wanted to get a green laser :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

self edited

Scratch my last post green is 532nm wavelength despite the fact that the majority of green lasers are less than 5mW they might not be accptable.

Advertisement