Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request to update charter

Options
  • 29-05-2008 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I would like to make a formal request to update the Boards.ie airsoft forum charter on lasers, as I have a formal document confirming that it is legal to attach a laser device of less than 5mW* to an airsoft device of less than 1 Joule energy.

Dear Derek
    Further to your attached query and our recent visit to your premises.

(i) As previously stated "lasers of less than 5 milli Watts in the light frequencies of 630 to 680nm" would not be considered to be firearms in accordance with Section 1(d) of the Firearms Act 1925 as amended. Accordingly, should you*attach that strength of laser to airsoft with a muzzle energy of less than 1 joule, the status of both the laser and airsoft remain outside the definition of a firearm.

(ii) I draw your attention to Section 1(g)(i) of the Firearms Act 1925 as amended which provides that the definition of a firearm includes;*

(i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope* sights with an electronic light amplification* device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted* to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b),(c) or (e),Accordingly such (telescope sights with infra-red device, etc) should be specifically designed only for use with non - firearms.

This is from two senior members of the DOJ after a visit to view the products..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Sounds good Derek,

Can I ask who gave you this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Congratulations :)

That covers both aspects that were worrying.

DOJ I take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭BFSL

Motosam wrote: »
    Congratulations :)

That covers both aspects that were worrying.

DOJ I take it?

Exactly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Ahhhhh!!!! Yummy yummy Plus 1 from me. Have been bitching via PM's for ages
    with regards to Lasers! and Got to say Am Pro Laser Man myself.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Nice to see, came across your post on irish airsoft forums, nice to clarification, can still see how people can argue it both ways even with this, but a official clarification is great news.

• Advertisement

Puding wrote: »
    Nice to see, came across your post on irish airsoft forums, nice to clarification, can still see how people can argue it both ways even with this, but a official clarification is great news.

The key word above is (attach).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The whole recoil issue negates the use of any plastic laser or cheap cast metal on a real firearm, so bar buying a 200$+ unit designed specifically for a firearm, we seem grand.

Motosam wrote: »
    The whole recoil issue negates the use of any plastic laser or cheap cast metal on a real firearm, so bar buying a 200$+ unit designed specifically for a firearm, we seem grand.

I will also have a letter from our suppliers stating that all their laser devices are SPECIFICALLY made for airsoft, I have also clarified this with the DOJ and that is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

I will also have a letter from our suppliers stating that all their laser devices are SPECIFICALLY made for airsoft

thats good for the items your selling as it was the area of defining and item that is only for airsoft for airsoft

Puding wrote: »
    thats good for the items your selling as it was the area of defining and item that is only for airsoft for airsoft

That's true, but don't forget the power level, I recon anybody who goes looking for a real firearm laser has more money than sense and they will need an importation cert to bring it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Derek can you scan the document and email me a copy. I'll pm my email address to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

Derek,
    did I mention how great you are recently?
    **Gizmo is not worthy**
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

We should have a laser show now.

Gizmodeon wrote: »
    Derek,
    **Gizmo is not worthy**

Thank you:D

gandalf wrote: »
    Derek can you scan the document and email me a copy. I'll pm my email address to ya.

I dont have a scanner, but gyle took a copy and he will post it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

BFSL wrote: »
    I dont have a scanner, but gyle took a copy and he will post it tomorrow

Cool man, I may not get a chance to update the charter until I get back from Barcelona next week. But once I see the letter I will change it.

* just covering my ample arse :)

gandalf wrote: »
    Cool man, I may not get a chance to update the charter until I get back from Barcelona next week. But once I see the letter I will change it.

* just covering my ample arse :)

Great stuff, enjoy your trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

good man.
    you should start your own irish airsoft defence association haha good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Gyle

this is great news:cool: i can finally tart up my aeg the way it was born to be.
    I will post a scan of the doc first thing in the morning.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wohoo. UMP = 4 rails = 4 lasers! Best place to buy cheap lasers?

Derek is the man, derek is the man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Its gonna be like a Pink Floyd show out there now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Gyle

Here is a scan of the original e-mail
    5068069712a7886135333l.jpg

Gyle wrote: »

Cheers buddy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Gyle wrote: »

Heh "Subject: {Possible Spam} Airsoft and lasers."

Nice one Derek.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Was looking a bulk order for lasers.

This: http://www.rsov.com/product_info.php?products_id=1532
    Works out at €25.45 for one, or 25 each for three or, 23 each for ten, all shipped to here. Not much of a saving and there are only 11 in atm. I'll keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭A.T.F

Gizmodeon wrote: »
    Derek,
    **Gizmo is not worthy**

Yes Derek we,re not worthy ,we,re not worthy,we,re not worthy :D:D

thanks for sorting out this grey area

A.T.F wrote: »
    Yes Derek we,re not worthy ,we,re not worthy,we,re not worthy :D:D

thanks for sorting out this grey area

Thanks buddy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I may haver the equipment to test the power levels as i'm a laser technician, but it may not test something that weak as i normally work with much higher power levels, but could be worth a shot.

Skatedude wrote: »
    I may haver the equipment to test the power levels as i'm a laser technician, but it may not test something that weak as i normally work with much higher power levels, but could be worth a shot.

There is no need to test them, all lasers should have their power rating printed on them by law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

This is great news!! Fair play Derek!!

I can now put a proper laser on my mk23 instead of the piece of crap it currently has!!

Advertisement