Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M1 Collusion Southbound

Options
  • 29-05-2008 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

GF is stuck in traffic since half seven this morning and now its nine o clock.

First of all, I hope the two men in hospital recover ok.

Second, at 2.30am how could a crash like this happen.

Two Art Lorries collide with a car and a transit van.

Every time I drive up and down the M1, people drive within yards of the car in front. Do people not realise the danger they put themselve in and other too. Drivers mentality in this country needs to change quick, not this attitude that am in front Fcuk you!, or going faster than you get out of my way.

Its a overtaking lane not a fast lane. Is this so hard to understand.

GF is at a stand still for the last ten minutes, she rings me to tell me that people are pulling in and out of lanes consistently, people are driving up the hard shoulder and use the roundabout flyovers to overtake by coming down the other side. Just seems that drivers will never learn because of their thick stupid attitude to safety while driving.

One thing as well, there is alot of NI reg vehicles that would need to learn to slow down as well. doing 100mph or 160kph will get only save you about 10-15 mins on a journey from Newry to Dublin compared to someone travelling at 75mph or 120kph.

Lastly, why is it taking so long to clear an accident that happened at 2.30am this morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

The Garda talking on Morning Ireland was saying there was a possability of light fog in the area at the time, but still hard to imagine how such an accident could occur.

They are saying it won't be open for upto 8 hours. Really the Gardai or NRA or whoever should have better plans in operation for this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

kluivert wrote: »
    Lastly, why is it taking so long to clear an accident that happened at 2.30am this morning.

Accident investigations in this country have changed in recent times. Gone are the days when the object of the exercise was to clear up the debris and get the traffic flowing again with as little inconvenience as possible. Nowadays the Gardai have a special unit of Traffic Investigators. The reason the roads stay closed after a major RTA such as this is that the scene is now treated as a crime scene. Heretofore a lot of evidence was lost at such scenes but now it is thoroughly examined to determine what happened etc.

It's not to do with the Gardai or whoever having better plans or anything else..

Hope that helps!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

EI-DAV wrote: »

They are saying it won't be open for upto 8 hours. Really the Gardi or NRA or whoever should have better plans in operation for this sort of thing.

+1 they gotta learn to move a lot quicker than what they do. That accident happened at 2.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

From the news readings I've heard so far...

A car broke down, a truck hit the broken down car. Then another truck hit that truck and lastly the transit hit the 2nd truck.

There was a horrible misty fog in my area at 7am so I'd imagine visibility was very poor at 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The M1 from The Bog of the Ring (Balbriggan) to the Malahide Estuary is notorious for bad fog.

The area from Lusk to Blakes Cross on the R132 is flooded too which doesn't help.

Great that the traffic reports are saying use the N1 - it's been downgraded to the R132 a few years ago. The N1 isn't signposted anymore in that area.

Anyhow I want to know more about this 'Collusion' :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds like a nasty "collusion". I hope nobody is badly injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Just reading about this story on rte.ie

And I just cannot understand how an collision that occured at 2.30am this morning can still be causing delays!!!!!!!! 6.5hours later....

ok maybe people were injured (and I hope they are ok) and needed to be taken away by ambulance and the scene needed to be cleared but how can this take 6.5 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The M1 from The Bog of the Ring (Balbriggan) to the Malahide Estuary is notorious for bad fog.

The area from Lusk to Blakes Cross on the R132 is flooded too which doesn't help.

Great that the traffic reports are saying use the N1 - it's been downgraded to the R132 a few years ago. The N1 isn't signposted anymore in that area.

Anyhow I want to know more about this 'Collusion' :)

Not really an excuse, they should have adjusted for conditions, especially truck drivers who should know better and can inflict such massive damage on drivers and passengers in other vehicles. They are probably on the road enough to have had some close calls in the past that should have waken them up.
    neacy69 wrote: »
    Just reading about this story on rte.ie

And I just cannot understand how an collision that occured at 2.30am this morning can still be causing delays!!!!!!!! 6.5hours later....

ok maybe people were injured (and I hope they are ok) and needed to be taken away by ambulance and the scene needed to be cleared but how can this take 6.5 hours?

It probably took them a while to arrive. If it is a special branch that deals with gathering evidence at road accident scenes that they wouldn't be in the local garda station and would have to be informed, get up and travel to the scene most likely. Gather evidence and then the clean up can begin. They probably had to bring in some special equipment to deal with the trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Is the northbound open? Surely there is a way to make use of that to ease the traffic slightly?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Joined the M1 south at Gormanstown at 8:30 and came upon the traffic buildup just before the next junction (Balbriggan/Naul). Jumped off the M1 at this junction and headed to Naul -> Ballyboughal -> Oldtown -> N2 and got back on the M50 at about 9:30

As I came off the junction, cars were heading back up the slip road the wrong way
    29052008030od0.jpg

I stopped to take a quick pic when i went on the back roads, just to show the boss ;)
    29052008032ot6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

all those cars blocking the hard shoulder for emergency vehicles :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Tails142 wrote: »

About 20 seconds after i took that pic, a squad car came up the hard shoulder with nowhere to go, as the cars started moving in all directions like headless chickens not knowing what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Tails142 wrote: »

Yeah but it gets them to the top of the queue quicker :rolleyes:

On a related note, I passed a broken down car on the m50 on tuesday night, just before the Knocklyon exit going northbound. The guy had just about pulled into the hardshoulder, but was standing on the drivers side of the car talking on his phone, I know the M50 was quite but all he needed as one person to drift a little to the left and he'd of been in serious trouble.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Joined the M1 south at Gormanstown at 8:30 and came upon the traffic buildup just before the next junction (Balbriggan/Naul). Jumped off the M1 at this junction and headed to Naul -> Ballyboughal -> Oldtown -> N2 and got back on the M50 at about 9:30

Hit it at 8:10 this morning but unfortunately took a left into Balbriggian. :(
    1 1/2 hours later I'm at Balrothery and nothing moving so I gave up and am now at home working remotely. It was a complete mess and I didn't see one guard directing traffic in the whole time I was there. I'd say they've a few more crashes to deal with judging by some of the risks I saw people take to get across junctions etc.

brim4brim wrote: »
    Not really an excuse
    I was stating it as fact, not an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I understand the Gardai need to do a full and complete investigation but they really need to get it done much quicker and consider the impact of messing up traffic flows.

This happened at 2.30am why didn't they plan to have coppers out directing the traffic at 6am.

The picture of people driving the wrong way up the slip to get off the motorway is disgraceful. Its a case of one person did it so I was only following them.

From RTE.

Two hurt in multi-vehicle M1 crash

[URL="javascript:showPlayer('rta_av.html')"] icon_audio.gif [/URL] Thursday, 29 May 2008 10:52
    Two people have been injured following separate collisions involving five vehicles on the M1 in north Dublin early this morning.
    The crash happened at around 2.30am this morning north of the Donabate Swords exit on the southbound carriageway.
    Gardaí say it appears an articulated truck collided with a car, which it is understood had broken down on the motorway.
    Advertisement

Minutes later a transit van crashed into the back of the truck.
    A passing motorist who had stopped to assist was then rear-ended by another articulated truck.
    Two men, both of whom were drivers of the cars involved, have been taken to Beaumont and the Mater hospitals.
    The man being treated in Beaumont is said to have sustained serious face and leg injuries. The second driver is in a stable condition.
    A truck carrying The Star newspaper was involved in the incident.
    In a statement Managing Director Paul Cooke said the group was horrified to hear about the crash.
    As a result the newspaper will not be available in parts of Kildare, Louth, Meath, Wicklow and Wexford.
    Diversions are in place for motorists already on the M1 via the R132 Old Swords Road.
    Fingal County Council is clearing the scene of debris, including cooking oil, which was being carried by one of the vehicles involved in the collision.
    However traffic is practically at a standstill on the R132 and back to Julianstown on the M1 southbound.
    Motorists travelling from the North are advised to use the N1 or N2 until further notice to avoid delays.
    There are also major delays on the Lusk to Swords Road due to flooding before Blake's Cross.
    Gardaí are advising motorists to take Ministers Road and continue onto the N1 rather then travelling to Blake's Cross.

The road is not expected to reopen until later today.
    Another minor collision southbound at Walshestown near the start of the diversion route has been cleared.

Delays are being reported southbound from before Balbriggan.

Nasty stopping to help and then getting hit for six yourself. Hope there ok.

This is just another example of how there is no planning in place for major incidents on the roads in this country. If someone sneezes on the M50 its snarled up for hours when are they ever going to learn.

The picture of people driving the wrong way up the slip to get off the motorway is disgraceful. Its a case of one person did it so I was only following them.
    All the slips were opened as two way flow to allow cars off.

This was confirmed by the Garda statement.

Understood. But amazed then that people were still going down onto Motorway with traffic leaving it surely people should have been saying to themselves whats going on here should i really be going onto the motorway if everyones leaving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Homer

Quote:
    Two hurt in multi-vehicle M1 crash

Thursday, 29 May 2008 10:52

In a statement Managing Director Paul Cooke said the group was horrified to hear about the crash.
    As a result the newspaper will not be available in parts of Kildare, Louth, Meath, Wicklow and Wexford.

eh wtf has that got to do with anything?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Bluetonic wrote: »
    All the slips were opened as two way flow to allow cars off.

This was confirmed by the Garda statement.

I wasn't even able to get on to the slip from Balbriggan to the M1 due to cars coming up wrong way. It would have been way too dangerous if i had even tried it. As far as i saw there was 2 lanes of cars coming up the wrong way.
    I was forced to go take the Naul exit as I didn't even have the choice to take the m1. Not a garda in sight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Thursday, 29 May 2008 10:52

As a result the newspaper will not be available in parts of Kildare, Louth, Meath, Wicklow and Wexford

Every cloud has a silver lining...........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭sk8board

There were car's backed up on all the roads ajoining the N132 too this morning. I was heading down to the train Station about 7.35, and couldn't hardly get out the drive (I hadn't heard the traffic news, and thought it was a slow tractor or something holding up the country road), all the traffic heading away from the station. They could have parked, got the train into town in 30min and avoid all the same mess this evening.

Understood. But amazed then that people were still going down onto Motorway with traffic leaving it surely people should have been saying to themselves whats going on here should i really be going onto the motorway if everyones leaving it.
    Agreed. I imagine some people didn't even think twice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you ever break down on the motorway or have to stop ...make sure you get out of the way of the trucks ...even if it means abandoning your vehicle by climbing over the barriers or up the verge at the side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

GF set off at 7.30 this morning and arrived at work in Coolock at 10.50.

Great pics of the M1 there, they should be used fr tomorrows Daily Star newspaper.

even if it means abandoning your vehicle by climbing over the barriers or up the verge at the side

Its the Law in the UK to get out and move up the embankment or to stand behind a crash barrier.

Our Rules of the road only state the following pg126

"Wait for help on the embankment side of the motorway"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

At least they've lots of paper to mop the vegetable oil up with!

People blasting along at 140+ assuming the road is empty; and the fact that nobody here slows down in bad weather conditions would look like the problem here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Homer

MYOB wrote: »
    At least they've lots of paper to mop the vegetable oil up with!
    QUOTE]

It's about all i'd use that paper for :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

GF is stuck in traffic since half seven this morning and now its nine o clock.

First of all, I hope the two men in hospital recover ok.

Second, at 2.30am how could a crash like this happen.

Two Art Lorries collide with a car and a transit van.

Idiocy! had to be the person in either the Van or the Car, most likely the car.

Every time I drive up and down the M1, people drive within yards of the car in front. Do people not realise the danger they put themselve in and other too. Drivers mentality in this country needs to change quick, not this attitude that am in front Fcuk you!, or going faster than you get out of my way.

Its a overtaking lane not a fast lane. Is this so hard to understand.

More Idiocy

I was coming back from balbriggan on Friday in the overtaking lane, was at 120kph. (lots of truck in the left lane) some clown in his Saab come up behind me id say close to 160kph and starts flashing his lights. There was no where i could go left lane was jammers and I don't like pulling in in front of trucks as its not fair on the truck drivers as their stopping distance is quite long. he was about 18 inches from my bumper for a 1/4 of a mile

GF is at a stand still for the last ten minutes, she rings me to tell me that people are pulling in and out of lanes consistently, people are driving up the hard shoulder and use the roundabout flyovers to overtake by coming down the other side. Just seems that drivers will never learn because of their thick stupid attitude to safety while driving.

One thing as well, there is alot of NI reg vehicles that would need to learn to slow down as well. doing 100mph or 160kph will get only save you about 10-15 mins on a journey from Newry to Dublin compared to someone travelling at 75mph or 120kph.

Even MORE Idiocy. People don't know how to drive. going up slip roads... ok its a bit cheeky but driving in the hard shoulder is a big NO NO for me, but so many people do it.

Idiocy plus incompetence. a good 4 hours to clear it. should have been done. in less than 3.

Advertisement