Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

We drive 30 miles to get the fish and chips from Clogherhead.

...and then wait another 30 mins to get your food.

Tried them a few times. Nothing to write home about. Overpriced and if it's a nice day be prepared to wait...and wait....and wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Got a delivery from Yeah Burger the other night. Chips portion was a little on the small side. Burgers were good. They're delivered in a kind of little 'hat box' so they arrive in perfect condition. Onion rings were way over done. At €40 for two burgers, 2 chips, and a portion of onion rings, a bit overpriced.

Just saw an ad on the TV saying the double quarter pounders with cheese are back in McDonalds. Actually one of the best burgers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

In Clogherhead they dip the fresh fish in batter when you order. Not pre battered or pre cooked. Very few chippers do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

In Clogherhead they dip the fresh fish in batter when you order. Not pre battered or pre cooked. Very few chippers do that.

Is Clogherhead pier chipper open again ?
    I was there two weekends ago and it wasn't , only place open was the ice cream kiosk .

I see on Facebook it was closed 8 and 9 due to bereavement. The fish shop looks open but it's unclear about the chipper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭gipi

I've been at the pier several times in recent weeks, have never seen the chipshop open. Might be difficult for the staff to maintain a safe distance inside the van.

Have checked today. They cannot open due to 2m rule. Will open when it's at 1m.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Went into Harpers for a quick lunch for the first time since the covid situation kicked off here, food was fine but very disappointing to see no masks on any staff and the tables along the window looked too close to each other. Won't go back til I hear those issues are addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Did you raise your concerns with the staff when you were there?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's up to restaurant management to ensure guidelines are followed with regard to distancing and personal protective equipment.

If the soup was cold I'd point it out, if the guidelines aren't being followed then good luck and good bye.

• Advertisement

Did you raise your concerns with the staff when you were there?

Yea the waitress noted she wasnt sure and hadn't been there long. My OH frequented the place regularly pre covid and didn't recognise her so I didn't press the issue not that I should have to, the business should themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I'm all for masks on customers in shops I really am.

But as customers can't wear masks in restaurants I'm not sure it matters if staff aren't either.

I think having a quick bite to eat in a setting without PPE is a lovely little slice of normality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Well if the waiter or waitress is c-19 positive and asymptomatic you're protected so it would certainly matter on such an occasion. It's a no brainer for me. It's the new normality and will be with us for some time unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Surely if you have an issue with staff not wearing a mask you would notice on entry to the restaurant and just leave before eating? Why sit down, order, eat, pay and then give out about it?

Yea a fair point and definitely a bit hypocritical of me to just go with the flow despite reservations and I did spend some of my time looking around thinking about it all. Sometimes we're just wiser after the fact. I dont think posting about it afterward is a problem though if it informs someone else prior to entry so they can be wise before the fact. We did get a well distanced table away from the windowed area but going forward likely to take your suggested course of action.

I should say they also had well positioned hand sanitizer stations, contact tracing was completed and perspex was up. Service was quick and friendly too.

On the perspex I thought it was to protect staff (?) but with lack of masks maybe makes a bit pointless in a restaurant setting anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If a customer passes the virus, there's a limited number of people they've interacted with. They go in, go to their seat, and in theory shouldn't be within 2m of anyone. Maybe, at most, there's a table or two close by they infect. But they should be in and out in 90 minutes, without interacting with too many people.

If a waiter has it, then he's coming into contact with multiple tables. He's breathing on every drink, every dinner served, every fork and knife. He's handling money and handing it back, roaming from table to table, and is working a long shift. He, by his nature, is coming into several times more people, and is a far bigger threat to spreading, especially since they can't deliver anything to a table without touching it. So a mask (and hand sanitizer) becomes necessary to try and limit some of any potential infections he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Things are pretty lame since covid imo. Most half decent places full at lunch time. Harpers which I hate was the only one with seats. The new 5 good things at the highlanes gallery is a great addition. Good thyme cafe hasn't reopened which is a pity, neither has canale not that I had ever been.

Bryanstown social open for lunch fri to sun but I imagine you might have to book ahead.

Had breakfast at Dave's diner for the second time since it opened and I was impressed. Dave if you're reading, I would change the sausages, bit tasteless. Overall though if I want breakfast that's where I'll go now. The make your own breakfast came to €7 so it's good value as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Went to Bryanstown Social recently for brunch/breakfast with a few friends.

Most of us went for their approximation of a fry. Sausages were very good in particular. Food was presented very nicely and was of decent quality. Poached eggs were well done but with too much seasoning. A friend got some chicken waffle combination which looked very good and I probably should have got that.

Overall the food was decent but overpriced.

As for the restaurant itself, staff were very good and very welcoming. Night and day compared to the ESB. You could tell that some of the staff were new and still learning the ropes a little but the staff were good and things can only get better here. Very pleasant.

Not really a fan of the decor of the restaurant because there basically is no decor, it's very spartan. Would probably look less industrial
    at night time.

As for Covid 19 precautions, they are making an effort but it could be better. Staff are wearing visors etc which is good to see. Upon arrival we were seated with no one around us, but as it filled up (it got very busy) you ended up feeling quite close to the next table. Also, if you are seated at the window there is no clear path to the exit or the bathroom without having to pass other diners very closely as you make your way past their tables.

Overall I thought it decent but overpriced. I will return to try the dinner menu, but unless the food really blows me away that will probably be my last visit as you can get food of similar quality elsewhere for cheaper and in as pleasant (if not more so) surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭gipi

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Things are pretty lame since covid imo. Most half decent places full at lunch time. Harpers which I hate was the only one with seats. The new 5 good things at the highlanes gallery is a great addition. Good thyme cafe hasn't reopened which is a pity, neither has canale not that I had ever been.

Good Thyme Cafe is under new ownership and will open soon, I've seen some posts on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I was in Bryanstown Social recently and to be honest it was all a bit average.

I was never really enamoured with the Eastern Seaboard anyway.

To summarise - the decor is and atmosphere is still the same cold but trying to be hipster as before with uncomfortable seats and tables. Staff were friendly and efficient.

Food is fine - good and somewhat different but well over priced for what is essentially fast food.

I'd not be rushing back any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I'm keen to try Bryanstown myself and see what it's like. Hearing very mixed things but, like that was no different with the ES, I suppose.

Surprised they didn't change the interior styling more.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭omeatheopian

Awful experience in Bryanstown social.
    Starters eaten before so much as a glass of water, let alone drinks arrived. Waitress took exception to asking for a drinks again on serving of the starter, let alone being apologetic.
    Steak was nowhere near the 13oz the menu claimed (9oz at a push) and way overcooked. When I pointed this out, it was also challenged.
    Many other small serving issues throughout the meal, though this was due to inexperience and lack of proper training, rather than a stinking attitude.
    A new restaurant and things take time to get right I understand, though if feedback and requests are met with attitude and confrontation, that is an issue.
    Average food way overpriced with awful service. Won't be back.

Kevin from kings is head chef in weavers now. Must give it a try so

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Kevin from kings is head chef in weavers now. Must give it a try so
    Hopefully similar food to Kings on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Tried Daves diner today, I had the full Irish for 7.99 while the other half has the sids breakfast farl.

Signed in, screens dividing tables, service was great, food was excellent, one of the best breakfast I had in a while. Definitely will be back.

Was the new café there at Bryanstown closed on Monday ?I was by after a spin on the bike around lunch time and there were no tables and chairs out front so I didn't stop and headed home.

The Aviary. Now open on Mondays, I see

Ate in bts last night. Enjoyed it, had crab starter, was nice, but not as nice as the esb crab cakes. Burger was very good and dessert was lovely also. I like how they've partitioned it properly instead of the curtain. Despite what others think here I really like the venue, always a buzz about the place. It was expensive but they cant fit as many people as the esb would've been allowed so I'll give them some leeway there. Lots of mistakes made by servers, wouldn't bother me too much but you would hope they iron that out soon enough.

Will be back to try more, love the menu tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Tried Daves diner today, I had the full Irish for 7.99 while the other half has the sids breakfast farl.

Signed in, screens dividing tables, service was great, food was excellent, one of the best breakfast I had in a while. Definitely will be back.

Went for breakfast on Thursday..... great value, I must say. 2 soda farls, a side of mushrooms, tea and a 7up c. €14.
    Service was good, tables cleaned after each occupant left and no messing about with the size of teapots- 2 1/2 mugs in the pot I got anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I went to The Smuggler in Clogherhead on Saturday with a friend.

We opted for 4 starters to share instead of having mains - all seafood: Scampi, calamari, crab and mussels.
    Everything was delicious, quality really good - although I felt that portions were a bit small for the price charged. We paid just sigh of 50 euros (no alcoholic drinks, I had a bottle of sparkling water, my friend a soft drink) which for seafood isn't terrible but I have seen bigger portions for similar prices and quality elsewhere

On Social Distancing I think they do a good job. They ask everyone to wear a mask when entering/exiting the restaurant or going to the toilet., though it didn't feel that they strictly enforce it. Plenty of space in general, tables at least 1 meter away from each other - and some completely blocked off - not sure if that depends on how busy they are but it was good to see. They seem to work exclusively with pre-bookings, people in front of us were turned away because they didn't have a booking. It was interesting because we only made a booking through their website only one hour before we went.

Overall a nice experience - I am a big fan of seafood and don't mind paying a bit more if the quality is good, so I would go back.

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »
    Good Thyme Cafe is under new ownership and will open soon, I've seen some posts on Facebook.

Was open when I passed this morning.

Advertisement