Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭furiousox

Any opinions on Dave's Diner on the Dublin road?

Went there for breakfast this morning (first time visitor)
    Plenty of breakfast options or just make your own.
    You will be well fed for a fair price and you may not need feel the need to eat again until late evening!

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

What way are their social distancing things? The twice I’ve been, it felt quite snug so I’m curious how they’re separating people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

furiousox wrote: »
    Went there for breakfast this morning (first time visitor)
    Plenty of breakfast options or just make your own.
    You will be well fed for a fair price and you may not need feel the need to eat again until late evening!

Not a fan of the sausages, they're muck, rest of the fry is tip top. Good portions n good value.
    Usually wait til lunch due to the sausages n go for the burger, it's a seriously good burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭furiousox

Lord TSC wrote: »
    What way are their social distancing things? The twice I’ve been, it felt quite snug so I’m curious how they’re separating people.

Pretty good, you had to sign in with name and phone number on arrival.
    Staff were wearing masks and all booths are separated by perspex sheets.

CPL 593H

Tried the Bryanstown Social this evening - opening night. Booking was easy online. I had a reminder by email last evening. They also rang me earlier to confirm my booking. All very professional and to be expected these days.

On entering, initial impressions.

Nice, simplified decor, no ducking under curtains, nor any ducking under stuffed ducks. The tables were well spaced, the welcome was friendly and professional, hygiene was top notch. All staff wore visors, and I saw them routinely use the sanitizer themselves. Scrupulous hygiene when tables were vacated.

Plenty of waiting staff, all attentive (some were understandable quietly nervously attentive) and there was a regular circulation, looking to see that you had everything you needed, or that all was well. For those that used to visit ESBG, I didn’t recognize any staff from the “old days”. An entirely new cohort, as far as I could see. That’s not a good or a bad thing - just so’s you know. Some of the waiting staff at ESBG were really good. Hope they’re doing ok.

Anyway, down to the serious business of food, drink and service.

Once seated, I was given the menu and drinks menu, and asked would I like a drink? In the spirit of enjoying my evening, I opted for a glass of Prosecco. The menu etc are on paper, no folder etc. be aware, I nearly set fire to mine on the candle on the table! Entirely my fault!

I would say that there’s something on the menu (available online, too) for most tastes. I chose the Chowder accompanied by a glass of Albariño, followed by the Fillet steak, medium, with hand cut fries and peppercorn sauce, with a glass of Merlot.

The chowder was very good - a decent portion with deep flavours and a lovely creaminess, with a delicate drizzle of olive oil. And the Albariño was lovely.

So, starter a success

My fillet steak, which was a nice piece, was properly cooked to medium, as requested. The fries were good, too. The pepper sauce was, for my (somewhat jaded!) taste, good and hot - and I mean spicy not temperature - but it might not suit all palates. There was no alternative sauce, as far as I could see.

Already full, I demurred on the desserts, of which there was a nice selection. I had an americano, and asked for a port, which they didn’t have. So I had to have a decent sized Jameson instead! Purely medicinal, you understand!

I wasn’t rushed, and finished my meal within the time limit.

First impressions are that they want to succeed, are putting the effort into training staff in all aspects of customer service, proper and rigorous hygiene practices. Of course, they will settle into things, but all the basics are there from the start.

Congratulations to them all on a good, steady start, and a good offering. It can only get better from here, and I’ll be supporting them whilst at the same time enjoying good food, well presented and served, on a regular basis.

I hope you enjoy it, too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Sounds nice, but also very expensive for what it is - a restaurant beside a chippers and a bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Sounds nice, but also very expensive for what it is - a restaurant beside a chippers and a bookies.

Wouldn't bother me what it's beside once the food was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Like 90% of other restaurants in the country so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

You do realise it's the food you're there to enjoy, not the exterior of the building?

I think I sounded harsher than I meant to be (Bryanstown and the Dublin Road in particular is probably the nicest part of Drogheda, certainly the most middle class) The point I'm making is that it seems overpriced - personally for that kind of money I'd rather go somewhere nicer.

Don't get me wrong I'll try it seen as it's new, but looking at the menu you have to admit it seems expensive for what is a pretty standard selection.

The esb failed for a few reasons, one of the main ones is that it developed fierce notions above what it was. On the last occasion I went I was made feel like I should be genuflecting on my way in - forgive my residual anger at the esb!

Hope the new place does well but I still thinks it's way overpriced for the type of fare on offer (burgers, wings, etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Glad to see the Boyne valley hotel open for food again, it never fails and will be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I think I sounded harsher than I meant to be.

I think you were right.

I always laughed at how pretentious ESB was. Especially because it was surrounded by awful looking 3storey apartments.

The setting of Bon Apetit is gorgeous, plus I have a selection of great pubs to wander to afterwards. I will pay extra for that privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Considering it was probably the best restaurant in Louth for about a decade, esb takes some kicking in here

Don't get me wrong I'll try it seen as it's new, but looking at the menu you have to admit it seems expensive for what is a pretty standard selection.

I think it ultimately depends on whether it can deliver that "standard selection" at a higher quality than most standard restaurants.

Take the burger as an example. 18 quid is on the expensive end, absolutely. But there'll be a spectrum of burger quality, and if they make sure it actually feels like a proper gourmet burger, people won't mind.

"Standard" food done to a higher quality isn't a bad business plan at all. There's a tonne of chippers in town. There's a small handful of middle of the road places. But there's very few if any that promise an 18€ burger and actually deliver on that level of quality.

The ESB built its success on it's burgers imo. Literally everyone who recommended it to me would say "You've got to try out their burgers, they're incredible!" And they weren't doing them cheap. They knew the quality they provided and charged accordingly.

Where the ESB lost its way was when they decided to move away from the "standard" food at higher prices, and towards weird menus at crazy prices.

I get that not everyone wants to go expensive on a meal like that, but there are absolutely people who will be happy to pay extra to get a higher quality. I don't want to sound snobby, but it's nice to have a few upper-tier places in town to give people choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Considering it was probably the best restaurant in Louth for about a decade, esb takes some kicking in here

Lashing a pack of salt and a tub of butter into every dish does not make you the best restaurant in the county.

Neither does having the acoustics and decor of my school gym.

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Glad to see the Boyne valley hotel open for food again, it never fails and will be back soon.

Do they do a good breakfast do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Lashing a pack of salt and a tub of butter into every dish does not make you the best restaurant in the county.

Neither does having the acoustics and decor of my school gym.

You might hate it along with the rest of this thread but its success spoke for itself, easily the most popular restaurant for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 29,136 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Do they do a good breakfast do you know?

The boyne valley do a lovely breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Bryanstowm Social.

Overall food was very good, but the fitout is way to harsh, especially when the only external view is a car park, a road and houses. Hopefully they do something to deaden sound and soften the look internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

It probably was when it opened but by the time it closed it wasn't even the best restaurant in drogheda.

• Advertisement

Alright, can move from the hypothetical into the real now.

The burger IS a little too expensive. When it comes out, it's just on a plate on it's own, and for €18, it really looked way too barren. Chips arrived in a separate little container. It was a nice burger, and I get wagyu is a more expensive meat. It was thick, but not dense. The barbecue sauce was awesome. But I'd say it should be around €15, based on comparisons to other gourmet burgers I've had.

With that said, the chicken "burger" (which was a piece of friend chicken done up as a burger) for €16 was spot on. Really nice chicken, crunchy but soft, and again the BBQ sauce was brilliant.

Quesadilla were lovely for €13.50

The churros are WAY too expensive. They were nice, but five little churros on a plate, with some whipped cream and chocolate sauce served in two small metal containers that the ketchup also came in too.....For the size and presentation, €5 should have been the cap. Like, the burger I can understand the arguement cause its an entree and it's "wagyu", but they are mispriced in my opinion.

Staff were super friendly. As another user said, nerves are evident and there'd be little things I'd consider normal (asking, for instance, if you want sauces with your burger and chips is a basic. Asking if you want water for the table, etc) that were missed, but thats something they'll learn ultra quick. I'd rather friendly and having minor slips than attentive and rude.

Decor felt like it's still in progress. I say this because they literally had a builder installing the windows at the wall in front of the kitchen, banging away with the hammer which was funny but very noisy.

From a Covid point of view, all tables were well spaced out. All the staff had visors on, which I think different people will have different opinions on. I will say a MAJOR negative I had was the guy meeting everyone at the door and showing each person to their table went from having a visor that was up so not covering his face, to straight up not bothering with the visor. I'm not sure what the issue was, but it seemed every other staff member had their visor on and pulled down correctly, and I hate seeing managers (or whatever he was) not leading by example.

But overall, the food was really nice. Will probably go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I was an early advocate of the ESB but, like many others, found that it lost its way and became more about themselves than the customers.

However, I look forward to giving Bryanstown Social a try.

On a separate and slightly off-topic note, can anyone recommend a chipper in Drogheda for fresh fish and chips?

I try to stay off "bad" food but will treat myself occasionally and I love a good fish n'chip. But the last few that i have tried, the fish has been overcooked and almost stringy!!

So for my first post-lockdown fish n'chip treat, where should I try?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

I think the Genoa is generally regarded to be the best chipper in town?
    There are others like Joe's or Dominic's that are decent chippers too.
    Borza in Wheaton hall is fine also.
    Not sure if the fish would be cooked to your liking though, only one way to find out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Tip out to the Chuck wagon on the pier in clogherhead, nowhere else comes remotely near as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,136 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

enricoh wrote: »
    Tip out to the Chuck wagon on the pier in clogherhead, nowhere else comes remotely near as good!
    Is it back open?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is it back open?

We drive 30 miles to get the fish and chips from Clogherhead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've eaten in it a few times since 2012 and found it fairly decent most of the time but there's not a chance it was the best restaurant in Louth for ten years. Probably wasn't even the best restaurant in Drogheda on average over that period. I'd have Scholars above it for a start and there's others worth a big mention too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

enricoh wrote: »

Again, at the risk of being a naysayer, they're over priced. I was happy to try it and paid 47e for a meal for 4. Had the same meal, but superior for 29e at Beshoff's in howth.

I have a suspicion that my children's cod was not cod but ling after tasting too and never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

PGE1970 wrote: »
    I was an early advocate of the ESB but, like many others, found that it lost its way and became more about themselves than the customers.

However, I look forward to giving Bryanstown Social a try.

On a separate and slightly off-topic note, can anyone recommend a chipper in Drogheda for fresh fish and chips?

I try to stay off "bad" food but will treat myself occasionally and I love a good fish n'chip. But the last few that i have tried, the fish has been overcooked and almost stringy!!

So for my first post-lockdown fish n'chip treat, where should I try?

I’d recommend macaris bryanstown , great chipper food , very tasty fresh cod and chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Thanks for replies.

And, of course, I'll have to try them ALL now :D

Advertisement