Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Car Sales Person Let Go

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Sorry to hear that OP.

But it sounds a lot like whats happening to the building developers they have been racking in the money hand over fist for the last number of years and now that the chickens are coming home to roost there looking for the easy way out i.e. blaming the salesman for not making the customers walk through the door and spend a fortune they don't have.

Your ex-boss sounds like a see you next Tuesday.

Can't wait to hear the sob stories from the dealer owners of how they have to down grade there huge cars or sell up there massive properties to make ends meet. It has been yours and my money they have been living it up large on for the last number of years during the Celtic tiger years.

Now the rules have changed somewhat in favour of the consumer I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

The bit I can't get is - like the stamp duty issue, why was it all planned so badly?

WHY oh WHY didn't they allow the emissions changes to start in Jan and prevent this dead 6 months in the motor industry and put so many jobs at risk??

Sorry to hear about the situation OP - there's plenty of jobs still out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

For salesmen's and everyone's sakes, I really hope there is a boost in car sales once July is here. There is only 5 weeks and 1 day to go to d-day now.

Unfortunately we're only getting July prices now, we only got July prices for VW, Alfa and Lexus in the past few days, all the rest still haven't told us bar a certain Germany car maker:D), and usually it's a 3 month period between ordering and delivering, so it's nearly a case of too little too late.

I'd say car sales won't pick up till July at the earliest, and car makers would want to hurry up with their July prices if they are going to have any hope. I really don't see things improving till January next year unfortunately.

There's not a lot salesmen can do without proper pricing.

Would you commit to provisional prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Phaetonman wrote: »
    No, you were doing your usual BMW obsesive routine. I'm guessing you obsess about the facts and figures for new BMWs so much due to the fact that yours is from 2 decades ago.

and what has that got to do with anything?

the guy has given more useful and helpful advice on here than you have

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

johnf2020 wrote: »
    Well I got the door last Thursday/Friday
    Boss called me in---Are you bored---bored,,,of course not. I flat out busy selling to all the people that are not coming in the door..Highly motivated!!!not.
    Well your not doing the numbers--your head is somewhere else!!!!
    My head is wondering where all the customers are gone!!!!
    Your Numbers do not justify your salary..!!
    Your business is going down the tubes so sack me and use the numbers line so you wont have to pay me redundancy!!!!!
    I'll expect your answer by Friday.
    I'm staying as of Friday.

Your out.

Sorry to hear this John2020.The motor trade is rightly fooked up at the minute.Thankfully Im in after sales and thats doing alright(well according to the powers its never alright)

Then again if your place is anyway like mine theres meetings about meetings about meetings with big plans to get the figures up.
    The directors etc havent a clue that the problem is like you say "No one is buying cars this year" and the next few months are going to get even worse.
    Thats it--if only they could get that into their thick heads.

In the last couple of months Ive heard of places just closing down,dropping franchises because theyre quieter than others and just letting staff go all over the place yet the media havent done any stories on that whereas if youre in the building trade its all over the place about the downturn.

I blame the Greens-them and their hippie policies--theyve killed the motor trade and I can see something similar in the next budget to kill next years sales--they want us all on bicycles.

Roll on the next general election when they`ll be the next PDs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

but the damage is done now, none of this will ever be reversed

and the PDs highlighted the danger of the greens, but look what happened them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I blame the Greens-them and their hippie policies--theyve killed the motor trade and I can see something similar in the next budget to kill next years sales--they want us all on bicycles.

Blame FF too. FF changed VRT, the Greens changed motor tax. FF can pick and choose who they want. The Greeens are their current fall guy, like the PDs were before the last election. the only way to change this is to replace them with a Government led by someone else.

Either way I'm a believer in collective responsibility. All the Ministers have to agree on something at cabinet, so they're all equally guilty by association.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

I've been working in the motor trade for about 18 months or so now. I'm not quite a junior still but I'm not a senior either. Anyway, I left a large multi-dealership company last September to work in a smaller family run independent. It was probably naivety on my part but I was commuting a long way to the bigger job and I thought it might have been a good career move and I'd get a bit more "wheelin' & dealin'" experience.

Boy was I wrong.

Since this downturn in January, it has been very quiet. Unfortunately I don't have the experience to pull sales out of a hat and the sharpened axe is getting closer to my neck day by day. I don't expect to make it until July.

If I do leave or get let go, I will be getting out of motor sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Hellrazer wrote: »

Not sure how this helps the OP, but I agree entirely. Personally I am sick of hearing the ranting fanaticism of the Greens with their apparent ambition to return us all to the b****y caves. I wish someone could get it into the head of Gorgeous Gormley and his rope sandled mates that we can't all go about on foot or on bikes, and many of us don't choose to either.

Some years ago now when running a motor outfit in the UK I had a guy who, in his spare time, bought used cars for reselling. I remarked to him one day that it sounded interesting, but I wouldn't want to be bothered with all the frigging about fixing them up. He pointed out to me that when we sold used cars we didn't do that, and neither did he. He simply gave them a good valeting and sprayed them inside with the professional aerosol that gives them a new car smell, and then he flogged 'em for 500 more than he paid. So I'd go with twOnk and turn your experience to that for a while. There will be a lot of used cars on the market at very low prices, and you might even try talking to a few dealers and offering to take on selling their used stock on sale or return?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

If the BMW sales is anything it's hyped up to be, or any other manutacturer for that matter, then flogging used BM's will net you a few bob. Dealers will love you for all the spaer parts they will sell you. Infact you should have went for a parts job position if one came up.

PS, im using BMW as an example because i think they are the best value for money with the new offers they have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement