Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurant in Bray?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Yep, same menu, decor the lot. I would say another two weeks and it will be open.

Sounds nice, have to check that. I saw the Cafe Bar Deli sign alright but didn't know when exactly the official opening was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Mmmm sounds nice, I'll definitely be making a trip there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Preusse wrote: »
    A very nice brunch is to be had at the Esplanade Hotel on Saturdays and Sundays. I recommend eggs benedict with creamed spinach and the homemade burger (yes, I know these are two dishes but it is a mixture of breakfst and lunch after all) :o

Unfortunately, I found out yesterday that the brunch menu has been replaced by a simple bar food menu. :( No reason was given and the staff who served me didn't understand it either as the brunch menu seemed really popular. What a pity. Where do I get eggs benedict or eggs florentine now (in Bray or close by)? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Mmmm sounds nice, I'll definitely be making a trip there!

Here's my tuppence on the whole affair:

Cafe Bar Deli is just what the main street needs. Greek place and Soprano's were total flops, so maybe a well-known franchise like that will bring the punters back. The Jasmine was always a half decent spot, a survivor from the old days with Jim's Discount Store next door.

Down the beach:
    Didn't like Escape to be honest. Fair enough Gay Tom was a bit of a legend, but the Italian restaurant really is a cut above the rest.

Palazzo, across the road, is a dreary mediocre affair.

Barracuda is safe enough, if not a bit pricey. Had dinner in there the other night, but was stuck sitting near the kitchen door. So dark was it that everytime the door swung open I was nearly blinded.

Never made it down to Kask, but I still say the Cassonis make the best chips in Bray. In fairness to them though, it wouldn't be hard to make a go of anything like that down beside the Star and Dawson's.

Pub grub:
    The Martello pub grub is really awful, but I have heard good reports about the Tower Bistro (from my Ma), although it might cost you an arm and a leg.

I wouldn't recommend the Porter for anything other than a standard homemade burger, they'll make you wait an hour and you'll probably get better food at half the price next door in Jim's. If it's just a humble toasted special that you're after, then head down the Hibo.

Carvery-wise, the Vevay Inn is the best in Bray. Kavanagh's in Little Bray used to do some decent pub food too.

Agree with above poster that it is a brutal state of affairs that a man can't get eggs benedict in Bray without having to scurry off down to Greystones and pay 20 euro for breakfast. I will drop into the Esplanade and have a word.

Cafe Bar Deli is just what the main street needs. Greek place and Soprano's were total flops, so maybe a well-known franchise like that will bring the punters back. The Jasmine was always a half decent spot, a survivor from the old days with Jim's Discount Store next door.

I was only talking about Sopranos over the weekend. I have to say i loved it and was sorry to see it go. Only ate at greek place once, i thought it was nice and always seemed busy enough going by it.

I wouldn't recommend the Porter for anything other than a standard homemade burger, they'll make you wait an hour and you'll probably get better food at half the price next door in Jim's. If it's just a humble toasted special that you're after, then head down the Hibo.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Porterhouse food it has to be said, was there a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't too impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sharonann

to be honest, not many places in Bray !!!!!!!!
    pity eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Porterhouse food it has to be said, was there a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't too impressed.

Likewise; quite underwhelming stuff. I also prefer paying for food after I have eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sharonann

exactly!! if you want a good restaurant go out of Bray, it is a shame as good restaurants are badly needed in Bray

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Palazzos, have the monkfish, Tower Bistro have the Chocolate fondant dessert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

Tower Bistro do a good reasonably priced early bird.

The Campo de Fiori deli does good good snacks/mezes and good coffee.

Shelbys was good the times I was there but I thought the portions (dessert especially) were on the small side.

I avoid a chinese restaurant which doesn't even include bok choi on the menu so the Jasmine is out. It was pretty dreadful last time I ate there with little or nothing for vegetarians. I'd opt for the take-away up the road, China Garden for some authentic fare.

Barracuda - I have never enjoyed a meal there. Food is never up to scratch.

Palazzo's - I quite like it there. They do a good lunch deal for a tenner. Starter, main and drink.

Betelnut (Mermaid) - the most expensive coffees in Bray. What's worse is it tastes dreadful.

Martello - the bar food had improved since they changed the menu. And, it's much improved with the new frontage

Looking forward to Cafe Bar Deli opening. Hopefully they'll improve the lay out.

As for Indian, the little take away by the side of The Martello do some very authentic dishes.

But, what I do like is the Harbour Bar allowing you to order take away and eating it there. They did last year anyway - they supply the cutlery and plates. So you can have your Pizzas and Cream pizza and a pint down by the harbour.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote: »
    Likewise; quite underwhelming stuff. I also prefer paying for food after I have eaten.

I agree too! I find that quite rude.
    waves wrote: »

Martello - the bar food had improved since they changed the menu. And, it's much improved with the new frontage

But, what I do like is the Harbour Bar allowing you to order take away and eating it there. They did last year anyway - they supply the cutlery and plates. So you can have your Pizzas and Cream pizza and a pint down by the harbour.

Funny, I thought that the quality of food has gone down!! hehe!

Harbour bar is not for me.. i have not been in there since my underage days i think now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

waves wrote: »

I love the Harbour! Never heard of that but it sounds like something they would come up with alright. They are so laid back it's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

The Town Hall would be a great place for a classy old-world restaurant and beer hall. I know that previously a restaurant there failed miserably, but that was back when Bray had the Brewmaster, O'Shea's, Loppy's and Mud's.

Would be great to see the focus back on the main street. It's a brutal state of affairs to have McDonald's in the Town Hall. I'm sure they would do just as well if they set up on the Southern Cross or somewhere like that, with a big dirty drive-through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I was only talking about Sopranos over the weekend. I have to say i loved it and was sorry to see it go. Only ate at greek place once, i thought it was nice and always seemed busy enough going by it.

I liked them both. They were very reasonable and food was good considering the prices. They were always busy also (at weekends anyway whenever I went there or passed). Apparently Sopranos closed due to a financial disagreement between the owners and not due to it losing money or anything (could be wrong but that is what I heard).

I was gutted when the Tree of Idleness closed though...that was a great little place.

Ludo wrote: »
    I liked them both. They were very reasonable and food was good considering the prices. They were always busy also (at weekends anyway whenever I went there or passed). .

I didn't think too much of the Greek place - I was there shortly after going to Greece on holidays, and the food wasn't too similar. Also, the staff seemed a little surly. The layout didn't lend itself well when the place was quiet - it felt like eating in an empty canteen.
    Would be great to see the focus back on the main street. It's a brutal state of affairs to have McDonald's in the Town Hall. I'm sure they would do just as well if they set up on the Southern Cross or somewhere like that, with a big dirty drive-through.

I think it's nearly an embarrassment that McDonalds are in the town hall.

Ludo wrote: »
    I liked them both. They were very reasonable and food was good considering the prices. They were always busy also (at weekends anyway whenever I went there or passed). Apparently Sopranos closed due to a financial disagreement between the owners and not due to it losing money or anything (could be wrong but that is what I heard).

I was gutted when the Tree of Idleness closed though...that was a great little place.

Yup that's true about Sopranos. The couple, a really really nice couple infact, were seperating and couldn't decide who'd take it. Tara actually opened up Diva in greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Yup that's true about Sopranos. The couple, a really really nice couple infact, were seperating and couldn't decide who'd take it. Tara actually opened up Diva in greystones

And the menu in Diva is very similar to the one in Sopranos and the food is good.

That's a shame when a restaurant closes for that reason. I think the same happened to a really nice place in Dalkey too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭MagDee

i'd recommend going to Greystones to the Royal Palace chinese restaurant near the shopping centre there. I just moved to Bray but nothing caught my eye enough to check it out, so in the area Greystones would be my recommendation.

MagDee wrote: »
    i'd recommend going to Greystones to the Royal Palace chinese restaurant near the shopping centre there. I just moved to Bray but nothing caught my eye enough to check it out, so in the area Greystones would be my recommendation.

Yeah, you're pretty spoilt for choice in Greystones - I really miss living there.

That said, you probably also have most of South Dublin as an option as well if you're going to travel that far.

• Advertisement

Has anyone been to Cafe Bar Deli yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I'll go with the missus tonight, was in the Bewleys one last week with a friend of mine and it was very tasty. Here's hoping! :)

Oooh be sure to let us know how it is! I'm hoping the OH took the hint when I pointed to it the other day ha ha!!

Oooh be sure to let us know how it is! I'm hoping the OH took the hint when I pointed to it the other day ha ha!!

So it's your fault! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Was in there on Wednesday night. I'm not a big fan of Pizza/Pasta. I had a pizza and the others had pasta, safe to say everyone enjoyed it. Desserts and coffee were a different matter. The cappacino was cold and sent back, the two black coffees were tepid and not very nice. One of the desserts was an orange trifle thing which no one liked. I played it safe with a sundae which I really enjoyed(like being a kid again).
    The only other thing that would bother is the seating. Two tables and two seats are put together to make one. This meant that couples who didn't know each other were sitting together. We had a booth but the idea of sitting so close to a couple I didn't know would put me off, but that's just me.
    It'll be interesting to hear what others have to say.

Quick report.

Popped in on my way home to make a booking for half Eight. Couldn't find their phone number to do this over the phone. :rolleyes: Arrived just before 8:30 and was seated promptly. Our seats were at the very back right beside the kitchen and toilets. Strong smell of garlic which I personally dislike, but I wouldn't hold it against them. Waitresses were friendly and smiling and we had our starters within a few minutes. I had the new seafood starter which was very tasty and plentiful. My wife had chicken soup which was quite poor. Barely warm and tasteless were her words. Between the starter and the main course there was a delay of an hour which is very long, and this was made even more uncomfortable when the fire alarm went off due to smokers out the back (right next to us), the alarm rang for 15 minutes. This was very unfortunate, and very loud and piercing. Our seating was right next to one of the sirens, it finally ended when the manager pulled the siren from the wall and cut the wires with a scissors. :(

Roll on the main course which was the Tagliatelle with peppers and chicken for my wife and the Pizza special for me - chicken, onions, pesto and mozzarella. Both mains were very tasty. A litre of house white wine and one Irish Coffee later our bill came to just over 75 euro. My wife wanted to have the price of the soup taken off the bill so the manager came over and said that in his opinion the soup was dreadful. - possibly just agreeing with the customer, but surprising. When my wife who likes to haggle (!) mentioned the noise he was quite abrupt and said there was nothing he could do about it. I found that more surprising, but was happy enough to carry on. The waitress brought the card terminal and took my card, when she handed the terminal back to me for my pin number, the amount I was being charged was not on the screen. (I have not seen that before and I know that a number of people on boards mentioned this previously as being of concern). I carried on anyway and we left thereafter.

Two other couples being neighbours of ours were dining too, and afterwards we sat and had a drink together in the excellent Frank Duffs. Dinner and the 'new' restaurant being the topic of conversation, we all agreed it was nice, reasonable food apart from the soup which was ordered by one of the couples too and found to be lacking. All six people would return again. One point we all agreed on, was the manager was poorly presented in what you'd call a tight fitting muscle tee-shirt, with a large v-neck at the front. His abundance of chest hair protruding :eek:. We had a laugh when this was mentioned, it might be better for him, his appearance and the reputation of the restaurant if he'd wear a casual shirt. ;) Feel welcome to disagree, but that's my opinion.

To give you a 'flavour' of the noise, here's a low quality phone video clip for added emphasis. How long would you stick this noise before leaving? WARNING the noise is loud, turn your volume down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭confuddled

We were there on Friday night when the alarm went off too! I had a bit of a headache to begin with so after around 10 minutes of the ear-piercing screeching I just left the money on the table and got up and left, dinner only half eaten and wine still in the glass.

Overall the food we had was okay, though I think they may have forgotten the dressing on my salad - it was very dry. I've had the same dish in the George's St. branch and it was nicer. OH hade pizza which was tasty. The main problem (apart from the alarm) was the service. A group of 6 on our left were sitting there at least 20 minutes before someone took their drinks order. On our right was a couple who had just popped in for a quick bite but were left waiting 30 minutes for someone to take their order (main courses only and a jug of water). Their food arrived quickly but no water and after asking a couple more times and eating half of their meals one of them eventually went up to the bar and asked for it herself. I thought that was terrible - being left in a restaurant for 45 minutes without a drink!

Our orders and food were taken and delivered relatively quickly, however our cutlery wasn't replenished after the starters and despite asking the girl who delivered the mains for cutlery she didn't bring it and in the end I had to go up and get it for myself from the sideboard. Likewise we had to order our drinks twice as the first time we asked it was forgotten.

Overall I think I will leave it a month or so and then give it a second chance - hopefully the waiting staff will be a bit more organised by then. I didn't realise the guy in the tight, white, almost see-through t-shirt was the manager - I thought it looked so unprofessional! I think he was getting a lot of smirks!

Visited the Towers Bistro over the Martello on Saturday night. Excellent food, really superb and top service too. Four people, two bottles of Austrialian house wine, starters, mains and coffees 181 Euro. Just great! :)

Advertisement