Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurant in Bray?

Options
  • 25-05-2008 10:19pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Meeting a friend for dinner during the week in Bray and I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that there isn't a good restaurant in Bray!

Anyone have any recommendations?

t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

There is a nice Italian restaurant, I can't remember precisely where, but it's just the promenade side of a railway bridge, and I know it's down the Heather House end of the prom. I'll see if I can't Google-map it.

http://www.braytourism.ie/restaurants/campo_de_fiori.htm

^ It has a Google map too. It's quite nice there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pizzas and Cream near the Dart station.

It's fairly informal, but the Ice-Cream is bleedin' delish.

My gf is from Bray, I'll point her in the direction of this thread.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

have to agree with you tbh.

bray is a much worse place for loss of Escape

there is a new italian where escape is, its not too bad and the one across from it, isnt too bad either.

my parents seem to like this selbys place, havent been to it myself though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Moved to Wicklow from Food & Drink, where I belive this will get a better response.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This place gets good reviews barracuda - still haven't been yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

barracuda can be very hit and miss. have had good meals there and had some terribe ones there. Bit pricey too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

RuggieBear wrote: »
    barracuda can be very hit and miss. have had good meals there and had some terribe ones there. Bit pricey too
    Totally agree Ruggie.

I've had some great meals and some terrible ones in Barracuda. The service isn't great and on my last two visits they've mucked up the orders.

Also, the toilets aren't kept in great condition, tiles missing from the walls, floor not mopped etc. If they're like that about the areas you can see, it does raise the issue of what it's like in the places you can't see.

I've always been tickled by the fact that it's a seafood restaurant located directly above an aquarium.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've always been tickled by the fact that it's a seafood restaurant located directly above an aquarium.

You could be eating a slow learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yikes you could be in a spot of bother. Pizzas and Cream is a real love it or hate it place. I'm afraid I'm the latter. Haven't been into Barricuda as I've heard so many mixed reviews. To be honest if I were you I'd go the extra distance and head to Greystones. There's LOADS of good resteraunts in there from Italian (Bochellis is a decent cheap and cheerful) to Indian (Chakra is gorgeous). As for The Hungry Monk on the main street, well if you can get in there I'd well recommend it.

Either way check out menupages.ie for ideas for Bray if thats where you're gonna end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Prenderb wrote: »
    There is a nice Italian restaurant, I can't remember precisely where, but it's just the promenade side of a railway bridge, and I know it's down the Heather House end of the prom. I'll see if I can't Google-map it.

http://www.braytourism.ie/restaurants/campo_de_fiori.htm

^ It has a Google map too. It's quite nice there.

Had a meal here just recently. Excellent food and excellent service, I don't drink and was only having water and the jug of water never emptied, once it got low, it was replaced with a new one. I was with a group of about 15 and I try to be vegetarian when I can and they were very accommodating to me and paid me special attention even when dealing with such a large group. Oh and the waitresses are very hot :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I like Campo de Fiori too, much better than the old Escape IMO. OK, it was a bit 'quirky', and the owner was even more so, but the food in my view was very average. Also, it's funny that people still refer to the Campo de Fiori as a "new" restaurant .. I reckon it's been there at least 4 years, anyone know for sure?

As for the Barracuda, it's always been the building itself that puts me off .. if you walk behind it along the prom, and look up towards the first floor restaurant (above the public toilets) it always looks decidedly grubby to me.

BTW the missus was telling me today that the Weeping Thaiger in the Village Arcade in Bray appears to have closed down. I don't know what it is about that location, but no-one seems to be able to make a go of it for more than 18 months without going out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Barracuda is lovely if you get them on a good day and the scenery is unbeatable.
    Shelbys is nice but a bit quick. You could be in and out in an hour after a 3 course meal.
    The Jasmine is a lovely Chinese and I love the booths.
    Pizza and Cream has the nicest Pizzas I have ever tasted but I know some people that don't like the clay oven taste.
    The Tower Bistro is a little gem hidden in the Martello. Good food and service and they have an early bird menu that you simply won't beat in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Agree with a few of the previous posters:
    Barracuda - had some good meals but most of the most recent ones have been poor. I'm not going back in a hurry.
    Shelby's Brassery - Serves up some very good food at a very good price (particularly the early bird), but the dining experience is quite hurried.

Greystones has a wealth of good choices, and is only a Dart Stop away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

What about the Tower Bistro in the Martello? I've never actually eaten in there coz I go for the pub grub, is meant to be nice.

On that note, anyone had pub grub in the Maretello lately? I'm not loving it so much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

What about the Tower Bistro in the Martello? I've never actually eaten in there coz I go for the pub grub, is meant to be nice.
    The Tower Bistro got really nice quality food there. We go there from time to time and have never been disappointed. Same with Campo (love their pasta and side orders of spinach). The few times I went to the Barracuda it was good. No complaints. But then I am a meat man and love my steaks/crispy ducks/pork chops ....etc. ;) So i cannot speak for seafood.

A very nice brunch is to be had at the Esplanade Hotel on Saturdays and Sundays. I recommend eggs benedict with creamed spinach and the homemade burger (yes, I know these are two dishes but it is a mixture of breakfst and lunch after all) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Barracuda is overpriced and the food more often than not is terrible. The tower bistro has a good rep also the thai place up the arcade on the main street.
    Pizza and cream really is a love hate type place. I love it the best pizzas around but can get very busy.

Is the Thai place up the arcade not closed? Nothing ever lasts when it moves in there anyway!

I really wanna try that campo de fiori place. i rememember about 2 years ago, I went on a Monday night in August because i got my exam results, went at about 7 and it was full, completely full and no tables til about 9.30!!! crazy!

Palazzo across the road from it is ok, haven't been in a while but was never anything special but certainly somewhere I wouldn't avoid going to

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is the Thai place up the arcade not closed? Nothing ever lasts when it moves in there anyway!
    That's what my wife said the other day ... she was walking up there and noticed it looked all closed up. They're usually open for lunch, although I suppose they could have decided that wasn't worth it and only open in the evenings. I'll take a look myself if I'm down there any time soon.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the campo de fiori place is really nice.

not a huge fan of barccuda, too many hit and misses with it.

Does any one else miss Escape? i loved that place, i really did, i would love a bit of their bunratty pie right now and some of their chocolate orange cookies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Cafe Greko (hope it isn't closed or anything as I left Bray a year ago) on the Main Street by the town hall is very nice also and very reasonable. I didn't think I would like Greek food but it is good and also very handy for Duffs next door for a nice few pints afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,040 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Weeping Thaiger is gone. I greatly mourn its loss. Tasty tasty curry. Never actually ate there though, just takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Ludo wrote: »
    Cafe Greko (hope it isn't closed or anything as I left Bray a year ago) on the Main Street by the town hall is very nice also and very reasonable. I didn't think I would like Greek food but it is good and also very handy for Duffs next door for a nice few pints afterwards!

Sorry to inform you but yes it's closed! Don't know what it is in Bray with restaurants. they just don't seem to last. The Weeping Tiger is gone altogether, not just closed at lunch and Kask that was down the seafront where Cassonis was (and is now back!) is closed too.

Ludo wrote: »

Yep it's gone!! was there once but was really nice!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

McDonalds in the town hall :pac:

Ah ha ha ha... actually now that you mention it, Henry and Rose hasn't been as good as it used to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Campo de Fiori is a nice spot, genuinly italian, although have been there four times and i have found the food hit and miss sometimes, sometimes excellent, sometimes not so good!

I'll definitely have to check it out over the summer!

I've heard mixed reviews about the new place Shelby's on the main street that it's nice but menu isn't hugely varied

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Way late for this thread (or early), but cafe Greko is to reopen soon as CafeBarDeli. It is being fitted out now. (up near the town hall).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

same crowd as the one on Georges St?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Yep, same menu, decor the lot. I would say another two weeks and it will be open.

Advertisement