Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are Diesels Worth It Anymore

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

E92 wrote: »
    What I meant is that flooring a petrol at say 2,000 rpm is far worse than flooring it at say 3,000 rpm. It will accelerate much better at 3,000 rpm, therefore you can increase your speed much faster and therefore the time you spend working the engine hard is massively reduced therefore you're saving on the fuel(as well as the engine). I don't mean that you should drive everywhere at 100 in 3rd gear, what I mean is that if you want to overtake at 100 then you would be far better served by going into 4th or better still 3rd for the brief period while you're overtaking and have your foot down and then once you're finished overtaking go back into 5th again. Or if you're going up a hill and are losing speed then instead of putting the boot down that you should go down to 4th and it will be better able to keep the speed and you don't need to have your foot anywhere near as far down on the loud pedal.

Of course I wouldn't get there faster. We are have speed limits ffs! If we were in Germany and had no speed limits I'd get there much faster than you though whether I'm in my Volvo or my E34 if the traffic permitted high speeds. The Volvo does 200 km/h and hits 100 km/h in 10.4 seconds, the BMW hits 100 in 9.6 seconds and can do 211 km/h. Your car does 0-100 in 13.2 seconds and can only do 177 km/h.

As for economy, well your car does 61.4 mpg on average officially, and 68.9mpg in out of town driving, while my Volvo does 49.6 mpg in out of town driving, 40.9 mpg on average and the BMW is so old they didn't do the tests the way they do them now, but you can take it from me that it is nowhere near as frugal as the Volvo.

What was the point of asking how economical it would be when you know that I have a big 1.8 4 cylinder petrol that's 8 years old that weighs 1386 kg according to the NCT people and an even bigger and heavier 15 year old 2.0 6 pot saloon versus a brand new small 1.4 3 pot diesel that officially weighs 1144kg according to Seat?

The only claim about petrol economy I have made is that with comparable petrol versus diesel models(something you've completely ignored as is evident by asking your question) is that the latest direct injection petrols are getting closer to diesel economy than they have been for quite some time.

You got me wrong
    The original question of the OP was
    "Are diesels still worth buying"

I say yes because of economy AND
    As you said we dont live in Germany with no speed limits
    So it is really pointless in having cars with faster engines as you cannot use them.

By the way,
    I wouldnt consider a 1.8 4 pot big.
    Remember, My last car was a 02 Mondeo Zetec 1.8.. And i dont care what figures Ford or Volvo or SEAT or any manufacturere claim.. Those things Love petrol when you floor it.

I do most of my driving in town.
    I dont do much mileage, Probably 100 Miles a week or so.
    Anyhow, On a normal week i would burn €25 Petrol in the Mondeo.
    As for the SEAT.! Same miles.. only.. Less than €10 per week.

OH
    BTW,
    On the Fermoy to Cork Bypass. recently..
    I did a lot closer to your Volvo's Claimed top speed than what SEAT claim, And I also have yet to see anywhere close to 61.4 or 68.9..
    Like I said.
    They are only figures.

The Truth is in the savings :cool:

Now you claim about me being silly about comparing my light car with your Volvo or BMW.
    How about make a comparision with your two to my next car. ( which could hopefully all going well be within the next month or so)
    Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi VRS.. How would your guzzlers compare to that ?

Like this section from an expert review, Especially the Blue Parts :D
    The 2.0-litre direct injection diesel that powers the Octavia 2.0 TDI PD vRS is an impressive piece of engineering. With 170bhp under the bonnet, this car certainly doesnt hang around. The headline figure with this model isnt the power output but the maximum torque output of 350Nm. The BMW 330i, the Ford Focus ST, the Mercedes SL350, the Porsche Cayman S, and the Subaru Impreza WRX all fail to top this figure. :D

Torque is simply defined as rotational force and its best to think of it as the engines muscularity. With this sort of torque on tap, you can rest assured that this Skoda isnt going to get sand kicked in its face. Acceleration figures from rest never do a diesel car justice and the 0-60 figure of 8.2 seconds sounds brisk rather than concussive.

A more indicative test is the 30-70mph time through the gears and here the vRS is quick enough to give many of the cars listed above a real scare. With a top speed of 140mph, the Octavia will have no issues about cruising at British motorway speeds and even on the cut and thrust of a two lane derestricted autobahn it has more than enough mumbo to jet up to speed after dispatching a dawdling artic. The great thing about this powerplant is that the torque is almost omnipresent. That maximum figure is available from just 1,750rpm, little more than tickover.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

JHMEG wrote: »
    Buy a diesel instead of an automatic?

i drive a manual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

vectra wrote: »
    You got me wrong
    The original question of the OP was
    "Are diesels still worth buying"

I say yes because of economy AND
    As you said we dont live in Germany with no speed limits
    So it is really pointless in having cars with faster engines as you cannot use them.

By the way,
    I wouldnt consider a 1.8 4 pot big.
    Remember, My last car was a 02 Mondeo Zetec 1.8.. And i dont care what figures Ford or Volvo or SEAT or any manufacturere claim.. Those things Love petrol when you floor it.

I do most of my driving in town.
    I dont do much mileage, Probably 100 Miles a week or so.
    Anyhow, On a normal week i would burn €25 Petrol in the Mondeo.
    As for the SEAT.! Same miles.. only.. Less than €10 per week.

OH
    BTW,
    On the Fermoy to Cork Bypass. recently..
    I did a lot closer to your Volvo's Claimed top speed than what SEAT claim, And I also have yet to see anywhere close to 61.4 or 68.9..
    Like I said.
    They are only figures.

The Truth is in the savings :cool:

Now you claim about me being silly about comparing my light car with your Volvo or BMW.
    How about make a comparision with your two to my next car. ( which could hopefully all going well be within the next month or so)
    Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi VRS.. How would your guzzlers compare to that ?

Like this section from an expert review, Especially the Blue Parts :D

What do you drive that scares away all the local boy racers? They must all be in 1 litre corsa's. I'm sick of TDI drivers thinking they're in the fastest things since sliced bread.
    you mention the Octavia TDi VRS - but fail to mention that the Octavia petrol VRS will kick the ass of the Diesel one, despite that they're the same car, same sized engine, both with 1 turbo. The petrol is probably close to 2 seconds quicker to 60mph. The lads are right, all things being equal, petrol is quicker than diesel. I own a diesel by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yep it seems the VAG 2.0tdi has taken the place of the legendary 1.9 in the speed stakes :D (in the owners minds anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Biro wrote: »
    What do you drive that scares away all the local boy racers? They must all be in 1 litre corsa's. I'm sick of TDI drivers thinking they're in the fastest things since sliced bread.
    you mention the Octavia TDi VRS - but fail to mention that the Octavia petrol VRS will kick the ass of the Diesel one, despite that they're the same car, same sized engine, both with 1 turbo. The petrol is probably close to 2 seconds quicker to 60mph. The lads are right, all things being equal, petrol is quicker than diesel. I own a diesel by the way!
    +1000.

The petrol would be miles quicker, and it has loads of torque at low revs to boot like a diesel, since it delivers its 207 lb ft at only 1800 rpm. The paraffin stove manages to deliver its 258 lb ft at 1750 rpm. The 2.0 TFSI has 200 bhp over the TDI's 170 bhp, does 0-100 in 7.3 rather than 8.4 seconds, has a top speed of 240 km/h rather than 225 km/h, and averages 36 mpg to the diesel's 49 mpg. Btw the 2.0 TFSI is a design from a few years ago, unlike the 2.0 TDI which has the brand new common rail motor. There is a brand new 2.0 TFSI in the B8 A4(identical engine size but it is in fact a brand new engine) and that has 11 extra bhp over the 2.0 TFSI in the Octavia and 258 lb ft of torque, exactly the same as the 2.0 TDI 170 mentioned here, and in the A4 the same engine can average 42.8 mpg versus the 2.0 TDI 170 in the A4 which averages 53.3 mpg.

What do you drive anyway Biro?

vectra: I wouldn't consider a 1.8 big, relative to your engine it is big though(it's also a lot more powerful);)!

I don't care if the Ocatavia 2.0 TDI has more torque than a 330i, or an SL 350 etc, because any of those cars would eat a 2.0 Ocativa TDI for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

You're after saying that "we dont live in Germany with no speed limits
    So it is really pointless in having cars with faster engines as you cannot use them" and then a few lines later you tell me that "I did a lot closer to your Volvo's Claimed top speed than what SEAT claim", so which is it?

Either performance is good, or it's not and if it is then petrol is better.

I don't do a lot of driving, therefore economy is not a priority for me. I'm not going to buy one car over another because of frugality. There is more to an engine than how many mpg it can do. I will however say this: your diesel Seat is so much more economical than a Mondeo because a) it has 3 cylinders rather than 4, b) it is a suopermini rather than a large family saloon, c) it weighs nearly 300 kg less, and d) it's a 1.4. I seriously doubt that a diesel Mondeo/Ocatvia etc would be able to halve the fuel bills, and I would also be confident that a petrol Cordoba wouldn't be a whole pile dearer to run either.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    +1000.

What do you drive anyway Biro?

6 diesel, 136bhp. It's not quick by any stretch of the imagination, but it'd eat the 1.9 100 and 105bhp VAG cars off the road. It's quicker than the 130 TDi's too. In VAG terms, it's closest rival would be the 2 litre TDi, 140bhp. Not a massive difference between mine and one of those. So I don't heed any VAG TDi driver boasting about their massive performance!
    Diesels are effortless driving for sure, but I prefer petrol. When I'm older and have given up dropping cogs, I'll be happy to settle for diesel!!
    I used have a Celica 140bhp, and it'd easily walk away from the Mazda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

6 diesel, 136bhp. It's not quick by any stretch of the imagination, but it'd eat the 1.9 100 and 105bhp VAG cars off the road. It's quicker than the 130 TDi's too. In VAG terms, it's closest rival would be the 2 litre TDi, 140bhp. Not a massive difference between mine and one of those. So I don't heed any VAG TDi driver boasting about their massive performance!
    Diesels are effortless driving for sure, but I prefer petrol. When I'm older and have given up dropping cogs, I'll be happy to settle for diesel!!
    I used have a Celica 140bhp, and it'd easily walk away from the Mazda.

Now I know you don't have a clue.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=455
    (Mazda6)
    2.0d TS (136ps) 4d 10.1 s
    VW Passat
    1.9 S TDI (130ps) 4d 9.6 s 129 mph 128 bhp

And you're celica isn't much quicker to 60 (1.8 VVTi 3d 8.7 s 127 mph 140 bhp) but no doubt the Tdi would match it from the usual 30-70, 40-60 etc. like all torquey diesels.

ps. the Celica ways 400KG less and has 12 extra BHP. DIESEL POWER!!

Phaetonman wrote: »
    Now I know you don't have a clue.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=455
    (Mazda6)
    2.0d TS (136ps) 4d 10.1 s
    VW Passat
    1.9 S TDI (130ps) 4d 9.6 s 129 mph 128 bhp

And you're celica isn't much quicker to 60 (1.8 VVTi 3d 8.7 s 127 mph 140 bhp) but no doubt the Tdi would match it from the usual 30-70, 40-60 etc. like all torquey diesels.

1.9 S TDI (130ps) 4d 9.6 s

Figures figures figures. Bring me a Passat 130 and I'll demonstrate. Bring me my old Celica and I'll gladly hand you your arse.
    Don't have a clue indeed, you pleb. The 130bhp Passat WILL NOT do 60mph in 9.6 seconds. THe Golf 130 won't even do that!

Figures figures figures. Bring me a Passat 130 and I'll demonstrate. Bring me my old Celica and I'll gladly hand you your arse.
    Don't have a clue indeed, you pleb. The 130bhp Passat WILL NOT do 60mph in 9.6 seconds. THe Golf 130 won't even do that!

If you can't argue the figures don't resort to name calling. You've been served , end of.

If you can't argue the figures don't resort to name calling. You've been served , end of.

I can argue, cause they're false. The 130 Golf according to VW can do 0-60 in 11.3 seconds. You're telling me a Passat can outrun a lighter car with the same engine? You're full of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

tone it down there, Biro :cool:

peasant wrote: »
    tone it down there, Biro :cool:

Sorry. But he's coming on here, raving like a lunatic that diesel is quicker than petrol, and telling me that I don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Kicks its ass with a similar return on MPG ? :rolleyes:

vectra wrote: »
    Kicks its ass with a similar return on MPG ? :rolleyes:

Because all people who buy a car for performance worries about mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

My old Mazda 626 1.8 was 105 bhp, but beat the socks off an Audi A4 1.9 TDi 110 bhp. The diesel had more torque, nicer for overtaking etc, without dropping a cog, but it died after 3,500 rpm. In 3rd gear, the mazda 50-70 mph beat the socks off it no problem.

That's the difference between torque (Nm) and power (kW or bhp).

Take a look at a diesel vs petrol torque/power curve for similiar bhp engines, its utterly different.

Petrols are always better at higher rpms, its their design.

Diesels are best at low down.

Check it out before you argue.

Sorry. But he's coming on here, raving like a lunatic that diesel is quicker than petrol, and telling me that I don't have a clue.
    You really are an ignorant prick.

My Passat does it under 10, I've measured it. I've shown you truth but you just can't accept it. Everybody sees through your nonsense and your rubbish Mazda 6 which can't even go under 10 seconds. lols

Because all people who buy a car for performance worries about mpg.
    all people who ask themselves if it is "worth it" to buy a diesel may well factor mpg into their calculations.

The fact that a modern diesel is well able to keep up with a petrol engined alternative in real life driving situations may be an added bonus :D

You really are an ignorant prick.

My Passat does it under 10, I've measured it. I've shown you truth but you just can't accept it. Everybody sees through your nonsense and your rubbish Mazda 6 which can't even go under 10 seconds. lols

Ah now I'm 100% sure you're talking out of your rectum. You've measured it yourself? At 9.3 seconds? Sonny, I won't even bet, I'll guarantee you I'll beat your car in a race. YOU ARE WRONG! A Passat 130 WILL NOT do 0-60 in 9.3 seconds. Liars don't count on these boards.

ahhh ..I've had it now ...

Warning for phaetonman EDIT and Biro

Thread closed ...this is going nowhere (except the thunderdome maybe)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement