Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are Diesels Worth It Anymore

Options
  • 22-05-2008 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

WITH THE UNCANNY INCREASE IN DIESEL PRICES AT THE PUMPS SINCE THE BUDGET, WHERE VRT WOULD BE LOWERED ON LOWER EMISSION CARS SUCH AS DIESELS, HAVE BEEN THINKING LONG AND HARD IF DIESELS ARE WORTH IT.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG PREFER DIESEL CARS TO PETROL..HAVE 1.9 TD BEST ENGINE BUT HAVE TO CHANGE THE CAR.

DECIDED TO DO A COMPARISON, 10,000 MILES A YEAR IN A 1.9 DIESEL AGAINST 1.4 LITRE PETROL. YES BIG DIFFERENCE ON POWER BUT WHEN DRIVE ON M50 OR IN TOWN DOES NOT REALLY APPLY

QUICK COMPARISON BELOW, PRICE OF FUEL AND TAX INCLUDED..SHOCKED TO SEE BASED ON AVERAGE MPG OF 42 FOR PETROL AND 50 FOR DIESEL THAT PETROL CARS ARE THAT MUCH CHEAPER OVER THE YEAR

WILL OF COURSE CHANGE FOR THOSE BUYING A NEW DIESEL AFTER 01ST JULY FOR US IN THE SECOND HAND MARKET SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

Petrol Diesel
    Car 1.4 1.9

Price Per Litre €1.26 €1.34

Average MPG 42 50

Litres Per Gallon 3.78541178

Average Miles per Litre 11.10 13.21

Price of 1 Mile (Fuel) € 0.11 € 0.10

Average Year 10,000 miles

Cost of Fuel € 1,135.62 € 1,014.49

Car Tax €343.00 €590

Total Bill Fuel and Tax Only € 1,478.62 € 1,604.49

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It would be considered polite to switch your capslock off

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aonoco

sorry peasant my bad eye sight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

well in response to op, what is the best value for money, most economical, efficient petrol car?
    I dont mean an annoying little smart car or a hybrd, but what is the best petrol car mpg along the lines of a 318 or A4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

A gallon is ~4.5 litres IIRC. Well whatever 8 pints is in litres anyway!

Diesel is not as good for the environment as petrol, and it never has been.

It's better than petrol on ONE emission, Carbon Dioxide, the very one emission tat our new VRT system is based on, however petrol is better in almost every other area than diesel and specifically for peoples' health and air quality.

In terms of public health(risks to cancer) and clean air, diesel is nowhere even close to as good as petrol. The emissions of NOx and PM are allowed by the EU to be up to 5 times higher from diesels than from petrols. Yes I know that the petrol engine is far from perfect there either(petrol is allowed twice as high a carbon monoxide limit, but that's the only one that petrol gets an easier time in) but it is nevertheless superior to a paraffin stove.

Anyway a 1.4 petrol in say a Focus/Astra etc is only really an Irish special designed to get around our old VRT system which was ridiculously based on engine size. So performance is not going to be even close to good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

aonoco wrote: »
    WITH THE UNCANNY INCREASE IN DIESEL PRICES AT THE PUMPS SINCE THE BUDGET, WHERE VRT WOULD BE LOWERED ON LOWER EMISSION CARS SUCH AS DIESELS, HAVE BEEN THINKING LONG AND HARD IF DIESELS ARE WORTH IT.

Our budget has little relevance. Prices are rising everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aonoco

Good point

Best Saloon Diesels out there at present are the likes of the Jetta 62 mpg, focus 62 mpg

source http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/fuelConSearch.asp

Best Petrol out there seems to be CHEVROLET Aveo at 47.9 mpg or Bravo 1.4 at 47.1

really no comparison

just annoys me to see the price of diesel go so high over the past few months...AA have asked for an EU enquiry, petrol companies say it is supply but my understanding is petrol and diesel made from the same things..oil so why has diesel got more expensive than petrol

Much and all as people might like to blame the Government, (and believe me I'd normally be the first to do so since I can't stand Fianna Fáil and despise the Greens/PDs) it is completely unfair to blame, or attempt to blame them on this occasion.

It would even be unfair to blame the fuel companies!

It is what is going on with OPEC and the ever increasing demand for diesel across Europe, and the possibility of Australia, Japan and the US starting to take a serious liking to diesel that is pushing up and will continue to push up the price of diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Miles? Gallons?
    Our odometers measure kilometres (modern cars anyway) and there is not a station in Ireland that sells fuel by the gallon.
    Welcome to the 21st century OP, litres/100km!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

micmclo wrote: »
    Miles? Gallons?
    Our odometers measure kilometres (modern cars anyway) and there is not a station in Ireland that sells fuel by the gallon.
    Thats all nice n all, but il start using those figures when the last of the mile odometer car is gone and its not better value for money to buy car in uk where they still use miles

• Registered Users Posts: 65,003 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Litres Per Gallon 3.78541178

This is Ireland. Whenever we (still) refer to gallons, it is to British Imperial gallons. Not US American gallons

A British gallon is 4.544 litres...

• Advertisement

This is Ireland not continental Europe and in Ireland we use mpg, like it or lump it.

I don't know what litres per 100 km are, besides which my cars are calibrated in shock horror miles and worse still:rolleyes: is that one of them has an instantaneous fuel consumption meter that measures my fuel consumption in.... miles per gallon(the M50TÜB20 engined E34). The other car has a trip computer and guess what it uses mpg too(B4184SM Volvo).

Even my old man's car which has a km/h speedo told me today it was averaging 35 MPG. Imagine, the "cheek" of a modern car with a km/h speedo to be able to display mpg:eek:! What is the world coming to:rolleyes:?

Most metric cars with trip computers can have their odometers and trip computers switched over to miles at the touch of a button, so I don't see what is so bad about continuing to use miles, apart from the fact that the PC brigade want us to do so and to make us "look good" in front of our European neighbours?

If we really want to impress our European neighbours how about we try and make some effort to learn one of the languages they speak rather than PC symbolic gestures, you'd never know they might just appreciate our efforts to try and speak their language:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

PC brigade? I've been called a lot of things on boards but never been called that.
    Look at Post 11 and now posters are debating the difference between 3.78541178 and 4.544 .
    It's a messy system and even you can agree with that!

And ease up on us young folk, I didn't even know there was two different types on gallons before reading this thread, not my fault they stopped teaching miles and gallons in school 20 years ago. But people still use them??

This is badly offtopic, sorry OP. Motor forum is for motor enthuasists and motorists and if mpg is the standard in Ireland then that's fine with me. In 20 years time it won't be though :)

E92 wrote: »
    Most metric cars with trip computers can have their odometers and trip computers switched over to miles at the touch of a button, so I don't see what is so bad about continuing to use miles.

Because it is slightly more difficult to get the pump to display gallons maybe ?:D

anyway ...back on topic:

For me personally diesel still makes a lot of sense as my yoke uses 9l/100 km on the typical short run to work whereas the equivalent petrol model wouldn't do it under 12 liters (bit of a drinker)

My point being ...depends very much if you got your mind set on a certain type/size of car

Hey I'm young too(under 25, if that's counts as young:D) and if I start talking about car x being able to do 0-100 to my friends they think I mean MPH rather than km/h.

I remember not that long ago telling a bunch of 15-16 year olds that a Veyron could top 400 km/h, and they said 400 what? When I said it does 250+ mph they knew what that was alright though. I know lots of people and I don't know one person who freely refers to things in metric rather than old fashioned. My parents talk about buying pounds of sausages and a room being x feet long, and they might be many things, but they're not old fashioned. When it comes to cars I don't know anyone who uses km/h rather than mph, even for speed limits, be they young and definately those who are not so young.

If we're not au fait with the metric system then who is:D?

old continental farts like me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I thought we were talking about petrol vs diesel...

Talk about attention deficit... stay off the sugar :)

Oilrig wrote: »
    I thought we were talking about petrol vs diesel...

Talk about attention deficit... stay off the sugar :)

the man is right ...back on topic ...shoo

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

The price of fuel has risen almost 30% since the beginning of the year and according to economists reports today fuel prices will be up another 30% by the end of the year. I know if it was a choice of petrol or diesel for me I'd choose petrol.

Even when diesel was still cheaper than petrol, due to the higher initial cost of the engine, diesel only ever made sense over a certain annual mileage.

The issue gets watered down a bit when you're buying second hand, older cars, but even then diesels usually command higher prices for whatever (perceived) reasons.

I'd say if anyone is looking to buy now, they'd do well to seriously consider a petrol car and do their maths thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Surely it depends on the situation... Last time I purchased a motor I had an XL spreadsheet work out the cost of particular cars at varying yearly milage. (real anorac stuff)
    A 1.6 petrol would be cheaper up to about 18K miles and then the diesel came into its own. I do 25-30K per year so I feel diesel is worth it..
    I reckon now the limit must be about 20-22K

Also... I learned to drive at age 9 in a 2.1TD and bar one car I've been driving diesel.... I'll be hard to convert at this stage.;)

• Advertisement

Yeah but you grew up with it.

This whole thing is far too advanced for mere simpletons like me!
    (oh, the irony of what I just said)
    Anyway, back on topic, I wouldn't go for a smaller petrol over a larger diesel engine unless I wasn't losing any power. Power is power, whether it's petrol or a paraffin stove.

What's really interesting is that by 2020, a new study in Germany reckons that only 30% of new cars sold in Germany will be diesel, compared to 49% last year. JHMEG will be delighted to hear that 15% of sales are expected to be hybrids:p!

Actually diesel sales have slipped back in Germany, they're down to 47.2% this year compared to 49.4% last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

micmclo wrote: »
    Miles? Gallons?
    I still think in gallons, my van and bikes have mph, I still measure in inches and weigh myself in stones and LBS, why should we submit to these Common Market bureaucrats are have being trying to force us on a stupid and confusing metric system that has ripped us all off for decades. Imperial is still widely used in Ireland, the UK and the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Whats confusing about the Metric system?

At least you can use a calculator to solve it... try that with Ounces, Pounds & Stones...

The US have been trying to convert to Metric for 40 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Good point

Best Saloon Diesels out there at present are the likes of the Jetta 62 mpg, focus 62 mpg

Best Petrol out there seems to be CHEVROLET Aveo at 47.9 mpg or Bravo 1.4 at 47.1

I would like to see those figures in reality :rolleyes:

I drive a New SEAT Cordoba 1.4tdi and was told of averaging 60mpg.before I bought it.
    They must be leaving roll down hills and getting towed around the country.
    I Filled my one last week and had 430 Kilometers on the clock today. I put another €36 to fill her back up.
    That was mix of town driving and One trip from Cork to Bunratty and not pushing it too hard. In fact i stuck to the 100 kPH limit.
    Anyone car to work that out in mpg ?
    I paid €1.34 today for the diesel.

Now on saying that.
    My last car was a Mondeo 1.8 zetec and I do not put up big miles.
    I was putting minimum of €25 a week into the Mondeo.
    I now normally top up every 2 weeks or maybe near 3 weeks. Averages between €25 & €30 to fill.
    basically 1/3 of the running cost of the Petrol car and Dead pleased with the power of the 1.4tdi
    Even with the current cost of fuel i will deffo be buying another diesel when the time comes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Stekelly wrote: »
    Our budget has little relevance. Prices are rising everywhere.

+1

140.9 in Dry Arch filling station, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal this evening,
    that much be one of the most expensive in the country now?

Older diesel cars with veg oil in them is the future. The fuel prices just keep going up and up every week. And people are so used to it they dont really say anything, but somewhere down the line there is going to be up roar about it. Its likely to be €2 a litre before 2008 is out.

I cant wait till the bloody ice caps melt. Ill row my way to work for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

vectra wrote: »
    I would like to see those figures in reality :rolleyes:

I drive a New SEAT Cordoba 1.4tdi and was told of averaging 60mpg.
    They must be leaving roll down hills and getting towed around the country.
    I Filled my one last week and had 430 Kilometers on the clock today. I put another €36 to fill her back up.
    That was mix of town driving and One trip from Cork to Bunratty and not pushing it too hard. In fact i stuck to the 100 kPH limit.
    Anyone car to work that out in mpg ?
    I paid €1.34 today for the diesel.

Just less than 45 MPG ???
    My 99 passat with 170K miles is doing 43... down from 52+, loan's been paid for the last 5 years so it feels like free motoring and I try not to worry about the cost of fuel..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

bbam wrote: »
    Just less than 45 MPG ???

Thats my point.
    I would love to see the Jetta and the Chevvy do those miles quoted :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Used an 04 prius for a while and the best i got Dub to wexford was 73mpg for the 80 miles (not instantaneous) this was during N11 roadworks.
    Normally 48 mpg around town and 55 on long journeys without trying.
    Was the better halfs car so any attempts by me to go for really good MPG were undone when I wasn't driving.
    See http://priuschat.com/forums/ see how these yolks have turned america upside down. Guys there developed pulse and glide driving techniques and some are approaching 100mpg unmodified.
    Don't knock a prius til you try one. Quite quick too and automatic to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Read the Irish Times this morning.

In short, it says they reckon China is stock piling diesel for the Olypmics.

US output is running low.

Its the start of the winter season in the south hemi, where some countries like South Africa have an energy shortage.

Indsutrialising countries are putting a greater demand on diesel.

China per person uses the same amount of oil as Amercia did in 1905 :eek:

What will they be using in 50 years time.

There is a call in the UK for the government there to lower duty on fuel as prices go up so is the vat intake from sales, so the two should cancell each other out, I think this is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

We can complain about increasing prices as much as we like but this time was going to come eventually. They aren't called non-renewable resources for nothing. It's just a pity this is happening in our lifetime.

Anyway, I'm off to buy a bicycle before they start going up in price too! Better still, a horse and cart would be more suitable....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement