Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

batm!ke wrote: »
    Which of the two is the lesser evil though...

1) Try and get out of dodge in the initial outbreak and madness, hope there is so much chaos that you could slip out unnoticed and possibly grab some supplies on the way. Less Zeds around and more moving targets for whatever Zeds there are

or...

2) Sit tight, confident in your hiding place/residence with a limited supply of food etc. and once everything has died down try to make your way out and have less competition for vehicles/food but facing a lot more Zed activity?

Hmmm...
    Or with a small bit of planning you could have a plentiful supply of food and water in your house and means to barracade it and defend as necessery!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Shotguns? Meh. You blow a whole in a zombie's torso, it won't notice. Blow it's arms off, it won't notice. It's legs? It'll be slowed down, but it still won't notice. The head? Let's be honest; when the adrenaline is pumping and you're shítting enough bricks to build a housing estate, the head isn't going to be a target you can hit consistently. Even if you can, unless you're a war veteran you're going to be fumbling when you try and reload, and the other ones will catch you then. And of course, a gun shot is going to attract the attention of every zombie in the area.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.,that just about contradict everything known on learning some pretty simple drills and skills that have been used for oh the last 80 years in police/military training with one of the most effective short range firearms on the planet!:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

what would ye do when you run out of ammo?

fine and dandy having a massive calibre weapon, but when you've no ammunition left for it to fire, its basiclly just an expensive club that'll probably break when ye smash it over a Z's head :D

As for the tank, same question.. plus its a noisey bugger to boot. Starting that thing up or trying to get out of it ina safe place without being noticed by zombies would be quite hard. Imo its a noisey and perfectly safe mobile tomb.

Well a tank is, if it is a Main battle tank that weighs around 60 tons of plate armour steel with some nice tracks.I reckon you could certainly drive thru a mass of Z's and turn them to mush.And if it got too much nothing to stop you backing up and through a building to get away from a huge crowd.Dont think they will bite thru 4ins of plate and chobam armour.
    And it has got some nice anti personel features these days ,like smoke cannisters in board MGs ,rebreathing equipment and some have a top speed of 70 mph Should be fast enough to outrun most Zs.

Thing is you are not very likely to find a proper MBT parked around in the ROI .We dont have any in the Irish army,so you might have to make do with a MOWAG armoured personel carrier.Faster and easier to drive,but not as well armed and wont take the punishment of a tank.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Thing is when you run out of ammo for all of the tank's weapon systems you're pretty much boned. Same for APC's and tbh any combat vehicle. Fuel would be another problem, powering 60tonnes of armor takes a hell of a lot of fuel!

Realisticly, (i know...zombies) how many people are going to be able to drive one, have access to one and have a plentiful supply of ammunition for one?

Pretty sure the army would have them all fielded either way.

Would be nice though, smushing Z's in a tank :D

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

Peetrik wrote: »
    I'm in the city center right beside the park. Magizine hill would be my first port of call to wait out the initial frenzy.

magazine_fort_dublin.jpg

Seems like it would be well-fortified if the Zeds cannot climb.

I've climbed over the three gates there, it's possible to get over them if you're spry and small, but should be Zed proof. I don't know about the whole perimeter though. There might be places that are climbable where the stone has deteriorated or where ivy has grown up.

inside, the buildings on the perimeter are absolutely dangerous and should not be used. on the second floor, you'll fall through the floor; on the first floor, you'll get crushed by the falling ceiling.

however there are several storage areas and sheds in the back. also a ****-ton of roofing tiles in boxes if that's even remotely useful.

none of the buildings inside have lockable doors. most of the doors are off the hinges. the layout inside is also very open, so if the zeds got inside there's no secondary place to hide or fortify.

However, it seems solid enough if they don't get in to begin with. my only concern would be the difficulty of stocking it with supplies, since to climb the gates to get in you can't take too much stuff over, maybe just a backpack since you need your hands and feet to climb. and breaking down the gates to the point where you can get through easily means the Zeds can get through easily.

maybe if you could shove canned goods through the window holes or something? throw stuff over the wall?

there does seem to be running water via a broken dripping pipe in there. Although it may have been rainwater runoff, I'm not sure, but it was a dry day when I checked it out so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Madbod

i have often thought Phoenix park would be a good place for Dubliners to hold out, there are fences and moats to stop deer around most of the properties which would stop zombies, plus good security and a degree of self sufficiency. Also, since it's out of the way, if you observed blackout and didnt make much noise, you wouldnt attract walkers

the magazine looks great, but even if youre able to put a good door on the place, i think it would be your tomb.. probably better off trying the american ambassadors gaff, or the aras. The key would be to bring a load of tobacco, tinned food (pay your way in) and to say you had awesome skills (useful maintanance type stuff, hand to hand combat, military training etc)

once things settled down a bit, the zombies could be drawn away from the area and led into the river where they could be dealt with

the advantage of the park is the trees and deer (as well as plenty of land including the gardens at the visitors centre) would be a logical centre for survivors and the eventual re growth of civilisation. And for mounting rescue missions to the magazine

Viva los survivors

QUOTE=degrassinoel;78191667]Thing is when you run out of ammo for all of the tank's weapon systems you're pretty much boned. Same for APC's and tbh any combat vehicle. Fuel would be another problem, powering 60tonnes of armor takes a hell of a lot of fuel! [/QUOTE]

Indeed,but tanks are mostly designed for fighting other tanks or blowing up things,not for fighting off hordes of the undead.So I wouldnt be too upset if I couldnt use its main armament too much as a DU sabot slug isnt going to be much help against a mob of Z's in the first place.You are looking at using a tank /APC as a mobile fortress to basically smush through crowds of the undead. So long as your fuel supply is available.MBTs do drink alot of diesel/petrol/LPG/Kerosene.As the more modern engines in them are multi fuel engines.
    Realisticly, (i know...zombies) how many people are going to be able to drive one, have access to one and have a plentiful supply of ammunition for one?

Not that hard to drive anymore.The US Abrahms MBT has a steering system like a motorbike handle these days,as well as ASFIK CCTV to direct it in backing up..and if you can drive a tracked vechicle most of the older ones arent that much of a problem.Big problem is seeing where you are going and backing one up in a place you dont want to demolish without somone guiding you.:D

Pretty sure the army would have them all fielded either way.

Getting one here in the ROI would be a problem however,as we dont have any.:D

Not an abrahms anyway.

I've seen a few MBT's though, old ones. And if i recall, there's a paintball place in wicklow that has an old (possibly a vickers mbt) MBT parked outside it's front gate. Though the last time i seen that was about 8 years ago, possibly longer. This is as close as i can get to a proper description of it.

vickers-mbt.jpg
    started service in 1965 apparently.

imo an industrial strength tractor with protected cab would be as good as a tank - if the zeds hit during the ploughing championships i dont think they would stand a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Madbod wrote: »
    imo an industrial strength tractor with protected cab would be as good as a tank - if the zeds hit during the ploughing championships i dont think they would stand a chance

The untidy ill fitting clothing. The unwashed scraggy hair. The limping ungainly walk. The vacant open mouth stare. The strange moan like sounds that seem to be some form of communication. The smell. How would you identify the Zeds at the ploughing championships? ;-)

• Advertisement

the difficulty is pulling off the headshot in a panic/zombie attack situation, if you fire a load of bullets or buckshot or even tank rounds into the chest/arms/legs, you might buy yourself time but since trauma, pain and shock are ignored by the undead, you won't have eliminated the threat.. instead you will have converted walking dead into crawling dead which would scare the bejeesus out of me cos you can just imagine them in every deep puddle, creeping through grass, through sewer grates.. hard to spot

and if say a hi ex shell exploded and killed 20 living people, perhaps 15 of them would die through blood loss and shock and 5 blown to pieces.. but in zombie terms if you fire the same shell into 20 zombies, 5 are blown to pieces, but the 15 others might well be able to actually carry on, which is not very effective considering how rare and valuable a hi ex shell is

tbh i would avoid guns altogether, as they attract zombies which means you have a thousand lining up outside your hideout the day after you took out 20 with your shotty

Madbod wrote: »
    tbh i would avoid guns altogether, as they attract zombies which means you have a thousand lining up outside your hideout the day after you took out 20 with your shotty
    i reckon you would regret that decision fairly quick especially if you passed up a chance to awuire some. Use them smart and you will be fine. Id want them moreso to fight off other survivors who wanted to take what i had!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

i reckon you would regret that decision fairly quick especially if you passed up a chance to awuire some. Use them smart and you will be fine. Id want them moreso to fight off other survivors who wanted to take what i had!

I wouldn't even consider using a gun on the undead - slim chance of hitting the head without proper firearms training, especially when adrenaline and the like is taken into account.

That said, I wouldn't ignore one if I found one. Like you said, it'd be a great deterrent for raiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    I wouldn't even consider using a gun on the undead - slim chance of hitting the head without proper firearms training, especially when adrenaline and the like is taken into account.

That said, I wouldn't ignore one if I found one. Like you said, it'd be a great deterrent for raiders.
    I don't see why every ones trying to pull off long range head shots, just walk up to them and shot them point blank.

yeah, youre right there about guarding your stuff from other survivors, and of course i would grab guns if i could, but they would be a weapon of last resort for me, rather than a sunday afternoon popping zombie heads type thing. Speed and stealth would allow you to move about in a zombie infested world, not guns. In fact a pistol would have huge comfort value as a quick way out if you were trapped or about to be zombified

a 10 foot deep moat would be better than a tank in zombie defense imo

in world war Z, the best weapon for the war was the sharpened spade/axe, and the guns used were silenced .45 pistols with scopes and shoulder stocks, which were designed purely to pull off the headshot without bringing the horde down on you, and i agree with that logic. I'd also be a great fan of the hillbilly dude in Walking Dead cos his crossbow with reusable ammo and scope is the best ranged weapon they have

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see why every ones trying to pull off long range head shots, just walk up to them and shot them point blank.

If you want to get close enough for them to grab you with a weapon that could jam (or run out of ammo sooner than you're expecting), that's your choice. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I don't think too many people in this country would have the luxury of deciding where to place a shot considering I saw a survey a while ago that said there were 8 guns per hundred people in the country:pac:

Blay wrote: »
    I don't think too many people in this country would have the luxury of deciding where to place a shot considering I saw a survey a while ago that said there were 8 guns per hundred people in the country:pac:

Of course. I can't speak for the others but I'm talking about the (very) slight possibility of finding one in my recent posts on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Of course. I can't speak for the others but I'm talking about the (very) slight possibility of finding one in my recent posts on this thread.

Well if you found one you would be mad not to take it, even to trade on later. You may bet that they person who said they would avoid them would be clawing your arm off to get it off ya when Z day comes:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you want to get close enough for them to grab you with a weapon that could jam (or run out of ammo sooner than you're expecting), that's your choice. :D
    Well they are slow, you can get close enough without letting them grab you. Or just get someone to distract the zombie while you shot it from behind.

• Advertisement

that's fine if youre in a field with a few scattered through it, but if youre in the town or city and theres a couple thousand walking towards the sound of your shotgun from all directions, you would need to be John Rambo with a machine gun in each hand, standing on a mountain of ammo

**** yeah

ScumLord wrote: »
    Or just get someone to distract the zombie while you shot it from behind.
    this is where they young children who are not big enough to hold a gun yet will come in handy

lol that's harsh man :D

Everyone will have their own part to play, i can imagine my 4 year olds face when i tell him to go play chasing with the dead lads who are trying to eat us!

Advertisement