Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options
  • 22-05-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

So it happens the world is overrun with zombies and a demise of civilization is at hand. What would you do? Since the majority of us here are in Ireland and thus lacking in the possession of any firearms, easily the most essential of zombie survival tools, how would you cope?

Heading west to a remote location would be the most viable option but it presents a number of problems, namely;

1 - Getting out of Dublin. Bound to be absolute carnage and actually escaping would be highly unlikely.

2 - Food. To survive in the long run you'd need to either grow your own - I ain't no farmer. Or raid canned goods from shops - risk running into more dead.

3 - Security. Unless the house is completely alone on the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere or on an island the zombies will eventually come. An isolated island would be perfect but getting to one is highly unrealistic. I don't own a boat or plane and even if I magically stumbled upon one I wouldn't know how to use it.

I'd probably just go with the suicide option. I'd pull out the gas mains connected to the cooker or fireplace and blow myself and the house up. That way I wont be coming back at least and it wont be a painful drawn out death by being eaten.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

I would google 'how to catch and cook seals' and head for Dalkey island via the Great Outdoors!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Firearms are not the most essential of zombie survival tools.

If youre in a built up urban area your survival chances are low, Trying to escape with everyone else lowers them further.

Everybody else is trying to get to a remote location to be safe, which makes them unsafe.

Stay where you are and hold up until the initial panic, looting, rioting etc is over and if you survive that, take it one day at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

in castlebar here. feel sorry for anyone in a major city if a zombie outbreak happens.

I would run down to the army barracks, climb over the wall, hope i dont get shot, and ask for some firepower.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

You guys would all be screwed in a zombie outbreak if takes you almost 4 years to reply to a thread. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I'm in the city center right beside the park. Magizine hill would be my first port of call to wait out the initial frenzy.

magazine_fort_dublin.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Since the majority of us here are in Ireland and thus lacking in the possession of any firearms

Some of us have guns :D

Join a club, apply to the gardai, do not mention Zombies and you may join the ranks of the cleared to own a gun.

Simples!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

My fantasy zombie survival setup would involving commandeering an aircraft carrier, arming it to the teeth, setting up farming systems on a portion of the ships deck to sustain the crew.

For up close and personal, an AA12 full auto shotgun and a Juggernaught suit. Those not familiar with Call of Duty, it is extremely similar looking to a bomb disposal suit!

Thats just the fantasy!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭OutsiderAkuma

Cry and die...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

an AA12

Guns are over-rated for Z Day, especially flame-throwers and shotguns, the ever-present fan favourites.

What you want is a solid, heavy blunt object for breaking skulls. Like a halligan bar. A flamethrower? The zombie'll catch fire but flesh doesn't burn very well. If you're lucky, it'll stumble about for a few hours while it's reduced to a skeleton. If you're unlucky, the fire will go everywhere. No firefighters after Z Day, remember.

Shotguns? Meh. You blow a whole in a zombie's torso, it won't notice. Blow it's arms off, it won't notice. It's legs? It'll be slowed down, but it still won't notice. The head? Let's be honest; when the adrenaline is pumping and you're shítting enough bricks to build a housing estate, the head isn't going to be a target you can hit consistently. Even if you can, unless you're a war veteran you're going to be fumbling when you try and reload, and the other ones will catch you then. And of course, a gun shot is going to attract the attention of every zombie in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

zombie1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I love when people go on about the guns they would use; 'I'd have a Barrett .50 with an M249 for back up'. It's Ireland, if you're lucky enough to have a firearm at all you'll likely have an over and under shotgun or a .22lr. Good luck to you:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

truedoom wrote: »
    in castlebar here. feel sorry for anyone in a major city if a zombie outbreak happens.

I would run down to the army barracks, climb over the wall, hope i dont get shot, and ask for some firepower.

arent they closeing that one down :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

As has been discussed countless times in this forum. Everyone is fairly quick to write off the humble shotgun. Even with the light bird shot that is common place in Ireland. The trauma caused by a shotgun blast is extensive. The Zeds mightn't react to a peppering but at close range torso shots will put a Z on the ground at best and worst stop / knock back. Leg shots will immobilize, feeling pain or not makes no difference if knee caps are blown away and tendons & muscle shredded they won't be running after you and head shots will disable.

Coupled with the readily available supply (relatively) its your only man in Ireland. As for .22lr unless you were held up in an elevated sniper position and had all day to take head shots at your leisure I wouldn't be rushing out to pilfer a CZ unless I happened by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Well if we are all going to be wishful thinkers with our high calibre guns I think I would just take an army tank!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

what would ye do when you run out of ammo?

fine and dandy having a massive calibre weapon, but when you've no ammunition left for it to fire, its basiclly just an expensive club that'll probably break when ye smash it over a Z's head :D

As for the tank, same question.. plus its a noisey bugger to boot. Starting that thing up or trying to get out of it ina safe place without being noticed by zombies would be quite hard. Imo its a noisey and perfectly safe mobile tomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Sharpen the machete and sort out my bug-out bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dancesatnight

i live in the top floor of a 5 floor apt so as long as the dopes down stairs dont let them in im fairly ok. nail all the door shut coz the magnets that they work on id say with stop working once the power goes off. blunt heavey things as weapons sorted ive a bucket load of tools and with the car park under ground u can steal petrol and make petrol bombs to lob off the balconey. theirs a hatch to the roof to collect rain water. and im sure i can find keys to the car vans and what ever is in the car park from the people who choose to opt out if ya get me. id let the first few weeks pass by and the maddness to settle a little then try and make my way to a safer area. fire arms would be a waste of time. ideally a money transport truck would be your best bet for moving places coz its basically a tank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

and make petrol bombs to lob off the balconey.

Very, very bad idea. If the fire spreads to a building, it will catch light. As will the building next door. And the one next to that. Within hours you'd be trapped in a burning city. The firefighters will be too busy looking after themselves or trying to eat you to put it out. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Join a club, apply to the gardai, do not mention Zombies and you may join the ranks of the cleared to own a gun.

Simples!
    Please state why this type of firearm is required. Protection from zombies when they come. And they are coming:D

not only would you be refused but you might get a knock on the door from the men in white coats!!!
    Blay wrote: »
    I love when people go on about the guns they would use; 'I'd have a Barrett .50 with an M249 for back up'. It's Ireland, if you're lucky enough to have a firearm at all you'll likely have an over and under shotgun or a .22lr. Good luck to you:pac:
    ha im better off so with my O/U and my .223:cool: have been considering trading up to a pump tho, Just incase........

My da's 22 semi auto would be handy with open sights runng around a city!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dancesatnight

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    Very, very bad idea. If the fire spreads to a building, it will catch light. As will the building next door. And the one next to that. Within hours you'd be trapped in a burning city. The firefighters will be too busy looking after themselves or trying to eat you to put it out. ;)

very true didnt think of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

1. Go to Clare Hire and Centra, grab as many weapons, and supplies that I can

2. Get to Doolin as fast as I can, hop on Ferry/boat and head to Aran Islands

3. No one on the Aran Islands died in the famine/Great Hunger FACT so I reckon odds are good

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

Get high into the Dublin/Wicklow mountains with plenty of supplies.

Find a cave. And wait it out. :D

I'm sure there's plenty of loopholes in that strategy tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Get high into the Dublin/Wicklow mountains with plenty of supplies.

Find a cave. And wait it out. :D

I'm sure there's plenty of loopholes in that strategy tho!
    Spent much time in the mountains? If not bet your dead before most!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Unless you know exactly where there is a weapon, which will still be there, going looking for one will probably get you killed. Getting away from a populated area is essential but going with a group will not likely be a good idea.

Crowds are a lot tougher to move in the open drawing a lot of attention and requiring a large vehicle - the choice to help others will affect your odds of survival. But you cant stay awake all the time, you will need to sleep and its always nice to have somebody to watch your back without biting it.

Your best chances are to get to an isolated place as the countryside is a lot tougher for a zombie to cross then the open grid layout of the town or city, but in the countryside you will have a better chance of finding survivors. How you will be welcomed will depend on the event which triggered your exit from your urban wonderland, (and you can also take your tie off now, if you left your boss to his own fate, and if he is there with you, tell him what you really think of him, and quit.)

if you run out of bullets, you can always throw your imaginary gun at them the barrett would be painful, saw a marine on youtube shoot the barrett .50 cal standing up, impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I saw that too Southcentral, but (at least in my video) the marine could only hold it up for about ten seconds before saying that it was too heavy to hold like that.

Seems like the gun would be too cumbersome to carry around with you in a zombie-infested world...

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

That's the one ,eh, a fat guy, but to shoot it while standing and stay standing, was pretty epic. He couldn't hold it on target to shoot it, had to shoot as it was dropping from pointing straight up, don't think i would want to lie down to shoot zombies chasing after me, and the sound of it would not do you any favors, might as well be ringing a lunch bell.

Given any thought to what to do when zombie killing is a routine daily job and you have survival nailed down, what do you do, go live in a mansion? get a speedboat? get a tank and destroy a building? set a new record time for Dublin to Cork, in a Bugatti Veyron, if you can find one.
    New revamped version of the rte news?

if you are the only survivor and have not seen another in weeks what do you do now, focus on survival or fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NoobSaibot5

Idealistically I'd want to get two hatchets and try fight my way to an Army Barracks. But even at that, your not guaranteed that the barracks is safe, soldiers might not want to run the risk of infection by allowing civilians inside the barracks.

Logically though, I wouldn't stand a chance living right in the centre of Dublin. There'd be too many infected to try reach a quarantine area, I'd die a painful death trying to escape. I suppose if there ever was an outbreak I'd just end up topping myself before I got infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LadyHeart

My fantasy zombie survival setup would involving commandeering an aircraft carrier, arming it to the teeth, setting up farming systems on a portion of the ships deck to sustain the crew.

Brilliant!

Mine would be to get a yacht or some form of boat from dollymount. I cant sail or even have any idea how to so I'd prob die in some sort of boating accident but I'd rather that than being zombified!!!

I would of course wait until the innitial madness dies down and then make it to dollymount or anywhere along the coast road in clontarf and hope that there's one left :/ dunno how likely that would be! Maybe as likely as a zombie outbreak :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

It seems like the boats are the way to go. Maybe head to an island off the coast and clear it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Which of the two is the lesser evil though...

1) Try and get out of dodge in the initial outbreak and madness, hope there is so much chaos that you could slip out unnoticed and possibly grab some supplies on the way. Less Zeds around and more moving targets for whatever Zeds there are

or...

2) Sit tight, confident in your hiding place/residence with a limited supply of food etc. and once everything has died down try to make your way out and have less competition for vehicles/food but facing a lot more Zed activity?

Hmmm...

Advertisement