Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The tune that got you hooked on dance...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Yeah, same here, or maybe a little later with Cubik. Although the electronic seed had already been sewn prior to that with some cheese from the likes of Axel F and Jan Hammer (Crocketts Theme etc!). Oh the childhood memories, I wanted to be a drugs cop when I grew up because of Miami Vice... did the drugs bit alright! :pac: I used to play Crocketts Theme actually on an old Yamaha keyboard back then, my party piece :D

hahah no way we're 2 of a kind mate i was mad into Miami Vice as well i used to model myself on Dom johnso the and the glamorous Miami scene :o:D did the drugs bit as well.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I suppose this really had an impact on me getting into Acid House still a classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSKTeKi-zfM

BUT ultimately this seminal classic really done it for me, more powerful than you can possibly imagine, this song was light years ahead of anything that was around back then,i remember the first time they played this in Sides in 1990 the cheer that went up..incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXlUygsJteE&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

jonny68 wrote: »
    BUT ultimately this seminal classic really done it for me, more powerful than you can possibly imagine, this song was light years ahead of anything that was around back then,i remember the first time they played this in Sides in 1990 the cheer that went up..incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXlUygsJteE&feature=related

And it still sounds f****** amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

More than likely one of these:

bomb da bass - beat dis

s-express - theme from s-express

marrs - pump up the volume

d-mob - it is time to get funky

Simon Young in the mix!!!on 2fm backin the day:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Swain

Kraftwerk - The Model.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

jonny68 wrote: »
    hahah no way we're 2 of a kind mate i was mad into Miami Vice as well i used to model myself on Dom johnso the and the glamorous Miami scene :o:D did the drugs bit as well.:pac:

lol, I wanted my hair cut like Don Johnson back then (admitting that on a public forum :o ) :D

(the memories listening to this)

(and this, seems like only yesterday)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Trab

Probably Everybody in The Place (155 and rising) from The Prodigy Experience.

There were loads of tunes on Sunset FM back in the day and I can't remember the names of a lot of them, but OT Quartet - Hold that Sucker Down, Moby - Feeling So Real and Liquid - Sweet Harmony all stand out in my memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Sunset FM? Great station!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Trab

Sunset FM? Great station!!

I used to have loads of tapes of stuff I recorded off that station but seem to have taped over / lost the majority of them now. I'd love to have a listen to some of that stuff again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

Underworld - Dark and Long

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭moany

the age of love - the age of love
    i was sixteen at the time on the ferry to holyhead and managed to get DLR 106 on the walkman in the middle of the irish sea , went mental to it never heard anything like it b4 always listening to hardcore and other stuff . this song made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I remember being at a wedding in 1988 and hearing Jack to the Sound of the Underground by Hithouse, blew me away though it is quite cheesy in retrospect. hadn't heard samples and piano's used like that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

could have been something like Ride on Time by Black Box but a few years later Block Rockin' Beats and that whole Dig Your Own Hole album by the Chemical Brothers changed the way I thought about a lot of music and remains a favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭francois

I always liked electronic music so when rave came along it fitted like a glove, loved all the early house and rave stuff, but I'll never forget the menacing low rumble of this in the mansion house, coming out of the mix, it all suddenly made perfect sense, the moment I'd been waiting for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

francois wrote: »
    I always liked electronic music so when rave came along it fitted like a glove, loved all the early house and rave stuff, but I'll never forget the menacing low rumble of this in the mansion house, coming out of the mix, it all suddenly made perfect sense, the moment I'd been waiting for

Another mansion house survivor:D I can relate to that francois!
    Superb tune!
    Where you there the night of the bomb scare? where everybody had to leave and wait on the street, people dancing on the pillers outside - after about 30 minutes they let everybody back in but a lot went there way and wasn't that busy for the last 2 hours.
    Then DJ Bass droped this - :D

Place went nuts :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Even though I was only 10 when this was number 1 in '87 I thought it was deadly. Guess I caught the dance bug at an early age. Caught Josh Wink 3 years ago in a sweaty little basement club in New York and I couldn't believe it when he opened his set with it.:D:D Still sounded great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭francois

Another mansion house survivor:D I can relate to that francois!
    Superb tune!
    Where you there the night of the bomb scare? where everybody had to leave and wait on the street, people dancing on the pillers outside - after about 30 minutes they let everybody back in but a lot went there way and wasn't that busy for the last 2 hours.
    Then DJ Bass droped this - :D

Place went nuts :cool:

I was-what a night! :D

first memory is liking what was in the charts and on the radio, the prodigy, 2 unlimited etc
    Soon after i remember picking up a copy of Muzik magazine in a newsagents which had a Darren Emerson mix tape attached, one of the first tracks that hit me was by Jark Prongo, "Whatchagonnado" i think it was called, hooked ever since

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

i think it started with Technotronic (Get up) , Klf (Last train to transcentral), 2 in a room, dee-lite, bomb da bass , Josh wink, altern-8 ETC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

careca11 wrote: »
    i think it started with Technotronic (Get up) , Klf (Last train to transcentral), 2 in a room, dee-lite, bomb da bass , Josh wink, altern-8 ETC

I forgot technotronic, I also got this compilation on tape when it came out a little later, (1992)

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Kaos-Theory/release/22549

R-22549-1253108314.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

The cross album by Justice was the first electronic CD I got, and following on from that, Body Riddle by Clark really got me into electronic music properly, going mad for warp records, planet mu etc...

this is just insane, i'd love to hear this live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Probably Theme from S Xpress or Pump up the Volume by M.A.R.S

Also all the Technotronic stuff - loved them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

was well into my acid house as a kid (and i mean kid), used to be in older cousins gaffs at the age of 7/8, buzzin around while the likes of these was gettin played

then seen a vid of an acid house party in uk, think it was one of those sunrise parties from 88/89 and this was the main theme to it (or one of the main tracks in the vid sound track anyway)

then that was it, hooked ever since. still love all those tracks and have alot of great memories from that time of these tunes, albeit from my cousins houses as i was way too young to do anythin after 10pm let alone go to a rave :D

es-cee wrote: »
    was well into my acid house as a kid (and i mean kid), used to be in older cousins gaffs at the age of 7/8, buzzin around while the likes of these was gettin played

then seen a vid of an acid house party in uk, think it was one of those sunrise parties from 88/89 and this was the main theme to it (or one of the main tracks in the vid sound track anyway)

then that was it, hooked ever since. still love all those tracks and have alot of great memories from that time of these tunes, albeit from my cousins houses as i was way too young to do anythin after 10pm let alone go to a rave :D

One of the first "raves" I ever saw was the Ratpack and UltraSonic Live at fantazia - remember me oul lad going mad as I'd recorded it over his John Wayne vids. Would love to see it again.

SteoL wrote: »
    One of the first "raves" I ever saw was the Ratpack and UltraSonic Live at fantazia - remember me oul lad going mad as I'd recorded it over his John Wayne vids. Would love to see it again.

i used to like ultra sonic bitd, still have all their albums from back then tekno junkies etc, even have a live pa they done in club kinetic in 96 i think it was, very good indeed ;) was never really a fan of ratpack.
    let us know if ya want that ultra sonic kinetic gig and i'll up it for ya mate :)

es-cee wrote: »
    i used to like ultra sonic bitd, still have all their albums from back then tekno junkies etc, even have a live pa they done in club kinetic in 96 i think it was, very good indeed ;) was never really a fan of ratpack.
    let us know if ya want that ultra sonic kinetic gig and i'll up it for ya mate :)

Yeah man sound appreciate that thanks, I seen them live a few times back then as well. Remember going somewhere halloween night in Dunshaughlin (I think) about 94ish and then going into TOMMC the next night to see them again. Ultimate Buzz supporting (but wasn't mad about them).

SteoL wrote: »
    Yeah man sound appreciate that thanks, I seen them live a few times back then as well. Remember going somewhere halloween night in Dunshaughlin (I think) about 94ish and then going into TOMMC the next night to see them again. Ultimate Buzz supporting (but wasn't mad about them).

yeah man, UB weren't as good altho they did have some pretty decent tunes i have to say. your man mc bee used to do too much wafflin on all their tracks instead of just leavin that crap to the live gigs.
    i'll up that for ya now man i'll pm it to ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

I was 13 when acid house arrived in late '87. Like many others I was listening to synth-pop & new wave bands of the mid/late 80s (Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Joy Division, Pet Shop Boys, New Order, Talking Heads etc.) so it was a small progression to this crazy new music.

I distinctly remember a friend giving me a C90 cassette with Acid Trax on it and was blown away by the music. Then I got some 'Now' tape which had "Coldcut - Doctorin the House" , "Krush - House Arrest", "Beat Dis - Bomb Da Bass" and a few other early house tunes tucked away on Side 4 and was hooked.

1988 was filled with amazing tunes like "Theme from S-Express" and "Salt 'n' Pepa - Push It", "New Order - Blue Monday '88" and "D-Mob - We Call It Acieed" to name a few.

Sadly there was utter bilge back then too such as "Sabrina - Summertime Love" and all that Stock Aiken Waterman scheisse.

Simon Young was doing a Dance Show on 2FM every Saturday during the late 80s/early 90s which was great. Also remember the first CD I bought was "ex:el - 808 State" in 1990 in the Virgin Megastore on Aston Quay :)

Advertisement