Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The tune that got you hooked on dance...

Options
  • 21-05-2008 12:11pm

...can remember hearing 808 State 'Pacific' for the first time back in '89, and that was that for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,063 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not sure of a specific track, would be around 94ish and be something woeful and commercial - possibly MC Sar/Real McCoy - Runaway as that sticks in my mind all of a sudden.

What got me hooked on trance I can pin point to a specific track and a specific occasion. First time I heard Coast 2 Coast - Home when it was on promo in 2000. Given me an 8 year (to date) very expensive trance addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

The first "dance" track I ever liked was Tim Deluxe - Just Won't Do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Good thread conner!!

Well where do i start...For me it had to be

Leftfield - Not Forgotten
    Voodoo Ray - A Guy Called Gerald
    Pacific - 808 State

and many more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

excellent idea for a thread.

mine was shamefully only last year, Gui Boratto - Mr. Decay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Well there was a few that got me hooked

Tyree - Turn up the Bass

Gene and Jim are into Shakes - Hows about a shake Gene

Garden of Eden - Garden of Eden

808 state - Pacific State

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

cant honestly remember-probably somethin really commercial when i was a kid.some proper dance that sticks out in my mind from being a kid would be

early prodigy stuff
    serial diva-pearl river, heard it on holidays in lanzarote at a funfair when i was about 12.didnt find it again for years but always remembered it.
    first dance compilation i bought was cream anthems 2001-15 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭francois

Nitro Deluxe - Let's Get Brutal-This brutal House Mix
    http://www.discogs.com/release/49919
    fcekin fab

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Baby D- Let me be Your Fantasy
    Gat Decor- Passion
    Livin Joy- Dreamer
    Snap - Rhythm is a Dancer
    Scatman- Scatman (HAHA!!)
    Candi Station- You've got the Love
    Ce Ce Peniston - Finally
    Robin S- Show Me love
    Armand Van Helden - You don't know me
    Blackbox - Ride on time
    David Morales - Needin U
    Inner City - Good Life
    Moby - GO
    Grace - Not over Yet
    Robert Miles - Children

That's all i can think of!!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

...can remember hearing 808 State 'Pacific' for the first time back in '89, and that was that for me.

Yeah, same here, or maybe a little later with Cubik. Although the electronic seed had already been sewn prior to that with some cheese from the likes of Axel F and Jan Hammer (Crocketts Theme etc!). Oh the childhood memories, I wanted to be a drugs cop when I grew up because of Miami Vice... did the drugs bit alright! :pac: I used to play Crocketts Theme actually on an old Yamaha keyboard back then, my party piece :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭manufan

I was lying in bed one night with the radio on and (Capella - U got 2 Know) came on the radio. I was 12 at the time and i remember thinking, "What the hell is this". This music is the business". Never heard anything like it. Started going into places like Music Power under the arch not long afterwards to collect mix tapes from places like the "Tresor Techno Club" in Germany. Still love Dance music as much today as i did all those years ago.

I think the first Mix Tape i bought was "Graham Keeley - Eastern Promise" Still one of my fav mixtapes today even though i lost it many years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭CTRob

My Brother was in 5th year on summer holidays and he was working in Michael Dohertys school supplies in Bray part time during the summer months. He had saved up and bought the first CD player my family had lol along with a load of dance albums one of which being The Prodigy Experience.
    I still remember that sunny summers day when I was 10 years of age, was coming home from playing football with the kids up on the green of our estate. The folks where out and my bro was blasting the above mentioned album out...
    Muisc Reach 1,2,3,4 was playing... I had never heard anything like it... 10 years of age and I thought this stuff was mind blowing!!!
    We must have listened to that cd 15 times that day lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Does 'Blue Monday' count?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Prodigy - Out of Space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

People Can Fly by Astral Projection

amazing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

It was probably the first time I'd heard Prodigy - Hyperspeed, I was like !:eek:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

It wasn't one tune that got me hooked. I was in UCD in 99/00, and went to my first dance gig. It happened to be Decal live, and that opened my mind to the fact that there was more than rock/metal. Have not looked back.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Although the electronic seed had already been sewn prior to that with some cheese from the likes of Axel F and Jan Hammer (Crocketts Theme etc!).

Oh yeah, and Paul Hardcastle, and even the synthier new romantic stuff like Visage always appealed. And of course you had artists like New Order, and Inner City weer around a good few months by the time I heard Pacific - I guess I just wasn't aware whether this was some fleeting fad (like new romantic had been) or a whole new genre of music. It's just that I can remember the exact moment I heard the 808 State anthem for the first time. Then the next 2 years were a whirl of house and electronic and life would never be the same.

Oh yeah, and Paul Hardcastle, and even the synthier new romantic stuff like Visage always appealed. And of course you had artists like New Order, and Inner City weer around a good few months by the time I heard Pacific - I guess I just wasn't aware whether this was some fleeting fad (like new romantic had been) or a whole new genre of music. It's just that I can remember the exact moment I heard the 808 State anthem for the first time. Then the next 2 years were a whirl of house and electronic and life would never be the same.

Absolutely, there was a big leap when house and acid kicked in... who would have thought all these years later we would still be so obsessed. I will always remember too when I got a copy of N-Joi live in Manchester '92, that was on repeat on my walkman throughout the summer of '92! Picked up a nice MP3 version a while back, must upload it here if anyone wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Well, my brother always used to play dance tunes when I was a kid, 10 year difference between us so I was only, what, about 8 or 9 so I was in love with the Spice Girls and Boyzone. Bought those compilations like Now 39 etc... listened to a couple of the commercial dance tunes on them, got really into Alice Deejay for a while, then heard Gigi D'Agostino - Passion and started buying Godskitchen compilations etc... but remember hearing this trance tune that ultimately got me into the whole scene. It was Red Carpet - Alright. Still get goosebumps every time I hear it. Into Progressive mainly now but not to be "pigeonholing" anything, my taste in music is very broad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭manufan

JC 2k3, i have to second that. "People can fly - Astral Projection" is one of my favourite tunes of all time.

Zero, Ambient Galaxy and Nilaya - Astral Projection, are all animal tunes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I can't remember the name of tune, but it was midway through Mick Walsh's Gravity 5 or 6 - lovely little female vocal in it. Also, Playing with the Voice was another that really stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

The prodigy experience album got me right into the whole dance music scene. Away from the prodigy i always loved this little belter in the teenage disco :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

SuprSi wrote: »
    I can't remember the name of tune, but it was midway through Mick Walsh's Gravity 5 or 6 - lovely little female vocal in it. Also, Playing with the Voice was another that really stuck with me.

Playing with the voice is a real gem alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Scooter- Logical Song :pac: Summer of 2001 iirc. Bought the 1994-2001 singles album off a lad in school who was copyin soon after :)

Apart from one pretty good trance comp I bought that hasnt been seen since I played host to my own gaffs free destruction during a lethal party way back when, I didnt get proper into it really until I went to ****** 2004. Madchester Experience, Darren Emerson, Felix and Faithless......ah good luck to yis! :p :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Luke! Broughan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhAyhAg_Rmg

i really began to love all sorts of "dance" music after this,its not my favourite song at all,god no....,but this just did it for me.

i used to hang around,listen to Pulse FM,they played this song a lot.
    I lost sleep one nite,and this song kept going thru my head,the music video,and the really weird gurgly "bird like" synth used through out the song,it was all there for me.It just got me into electronic music,i dunno.stil remember it like yesterday.

im not saying its the best song ever composed,or whatever,it just "got me into" "dance music"...

mad

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭turks

snap!ryhthm is a dancer real done it for me hearin on the radio and always wathin the vid on mtv class vid at that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

I was big in to heavy/thrash metal back in early '92. I had no idea about dance music before then. My brother had two albums on cassette - Spirit of Ecstasy http://www.answers.com/topic/spirit-of-ecstasy and Hit the Decks. Really got hooked on it then and 16 years later, i still am.:)

holton wrote: »
    I was big in to heavy/thrash metal back in early '92. I had no idea about dance music before then. My brother had two albums on cassette - Spirit of Ecstasy http://www.answers.com/topic/spirit-of-ecstasy and Hit the Decks. Really got hooked on it then and 16 years later, i still am.:)

Funny you should mention thrash metal, I knew/met a lot of people who were into that back then and slowly but surely the hair was cut, bikers jackets went and were transformed into ravers :D I remember being at a good few regular parties where there were lots of 'rockers' as we called them off their heads on E and bouncing around to techno... they all over time lost the look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Candi Station ,you've got the love. One of my all time favourites:)
    http://www.myspace.com/candistaton

Technotronic - Jammy bastids. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=222257090

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

probably something from The Prodigy Experience or actually some cheese from Alex Party or Atlantic Ocean (oh how young I was:D).

Advertisement