Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Basis for no overtaking in the left lane ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Can someone please refer me to any publication where the use of the word "undertake" is defined in the current sense.
    Probably not, but, seriously, what does it matter? Everyone here, including you obviously, know what it means.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can someone please refer me to any publication where the use of the word "undertake" is defined in the current sense.

Here you go

(informal) to overtake on the wrong side.
    I hate people that try and undertake on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Wiktionary

Hmmm, not exactly what I would call an authoritative source.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Wiktionary

Hmmm, not exactly what I would call an authoritative source.

Why do you have a problem with the word 'undertaking'?

Did you not understand it and couldn't find a definition for it?

NEWS FLASH: the interwebs full of words like that.

I shouldn't have wasted google's time looking it up on your behalf.
    You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I googled it myself but really didn't waste too much time reading through all the known definitions. Probably an Irish thing I guess...;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement