Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

No, it won’t. People heading for West Cork don’t leave N22 at Crookstown to avoid Macroom, they do it because it’s a much shorter route. Also, going from Kilgarvan to Bantry means using this road: Google Maps.

If you insist on using the new road to get to Bantry, you'd be better off to leave N22 at the Toonlane junction, and head for Ballingeary, then Kealkill via R584, but you’ll have taken a 20km diversion to do end up on the same road you’d be on if you’d just turned off N22 at Crookstown, and you won’t make up that lost time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I think you’d want to be mad to go to Bantry via Kilgarvan. The road through Coppeen is a much better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yeah Bantry is too far. But maybe people going to Adrigole, Eyeries etc will go via Loos Bridge. Glengarriff would be a serious push I'd say, only if there was something wrong with the Coppeen road. Bantry no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Any updated videos recently of progress?

I wonder are they ahead of schedule at this stage, updates have been a little slower since the Macroom segment opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

DEN TV Drive along the eastern section of the bypass heading eastwards.

DEN TV Drive along the eastern section of the bypass heading westwards.

Why did they go with an at-level roundabout at the eastern tie in but a split level interchange at the Western tie in?

For a couple of reasons, I think:

First, the existing N22 at the Eastern end is of significantly lower standard than at the western end. The western end is a change from 2+2 to wide single carriageway with hard shoulders and climbing lanes, but there’s a really big drop in standard at the eastern side: from a 2+2 to a narrow winding single carriageway with no hard shoulders. A roundabout interchange makes good safety sense as it will slow eastbound traffic sufficiently so that they don’t get caught out by the narrow, twisty section and Two Mile Bridge.

Second, the western tie-in isn’t likely to be replaced in the medium or even long term, so it makes sense to provide a free-flow merge into it now. If N22 westward to Killarney is improved, it will at most be brought up to 2+2. In contrast, the final route of N22 Eastward toward Ovens is not yet finalised, so a separated junction here could end up limiting the options for N22 Macroom-Ovens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Dronehawk has been out again.

Fantastic progress on the temp roundabout to Ballyvourney junction - that really has moved on in the last while. I reckon that'll open this summer. There still seems to be a bit of work to do on The Big Cut, which is part of the Ballyvourney bypass itself.

My GUESS is that there'll be a sectional opening to the Ballyvourney junction next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGEqYdUXNzg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Wow. It certainly is looking fantastic.

I believe the last mentioned plan is to have it open to Toonlane in July and beyond that later in the year.

I didn’t realise the big cut was 30m. That terrain is hugely troublesome though. I assume that was part of the reason why the bypass is only happening now.

It’s definitely one of the reasons why just 22km of road has cost €280 million to build, or €12.7 million per kilometre. For comparison, the 2+2 N4 Collooney to Castlebaldwin road came in at around €8.9m per km. Twelve million per kilometre is more like the cost to build a motorway.

M11 Gorey-Enniscorthy, opened in 2019, was around €10m per km overall (for 26 km of motorway, 4km of 2+2 and 8km of Type 1 single carriageway), and the M17 Gort to Kilmore motorway, opened in 2017, cost €10.3 million per km. The only recent project to cost more was another 2+2 road, the N25 New Ross Bypass, at €15m per km, but that project included building Ireland’s longest bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

TomTom sat nav is seriously out of date. When driving the route over the weekend it was continuously trying to take me off it onto the old road when traveling west. It also isn't showing a through route at the tie-in to the west of Ballyvourney.

Before anyone asks, I do have the latest available map updates installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭cantalach

Yeah, some of the supposedly “latest” maps are still hopelessly out of date. My car gets over-the-air map updates every few months but it took two years before it started showing the New Ross bypass.

Much better using a phone app via Bluetooth. At least those apps get updated usually within a week or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Question regarding travelling to Killarney from Dublin in June. Would this bypass make Dublin > Cork > Killarney a more usable route than Dublin > Limerick > Killarney?

I'd say not by June 2023.

Possibly by March 2024 when Dunkettle is done and the Macroom bypass is fully done it would take around the same time (or even quicker) going via Cork.

• Advertisement

For sure when this is open.

Once the next section is open (current temp roundabout west of Macroom bypass to the Ballyvourney junction) I reckon it already would be for a weekend trip. It'd be fine if you just avoid hitting Dunkettle at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

i would suggest dublin-mitchelstown-mallow-rathmore-barraduff-killarney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Shorter but terrible roads.

Dublin - Limerick - Newcastlewest - Abbeyfeale - Castleisland - Farranfore - Killarney is the most direct route and it's motorway and good N roads all the way. Google Maps says, 3 hr 44 min (308 km). Going via Cork = 4 hr (351 km). Going via Mallow = 3 hr 42 min (307 km) but sections of the N72 are seriously crappy.

I would have always used the via Limerick option without question.

Obviously, the time can be different depending on traffic delays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Keep it simple and stress free and go Dublin-Cork-Killarney, it's a no brainer for anyone used to doing the journey.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Agreed.... but just for the time being don't hit Dunkettle at rush hour either end of the day.

• Advertisement

I don't know about it being stress-free. The JLT & N40 can be a nightmare and the current Macroom - Ballyvourney old bit of the N22 is no fun either. Plus it's 43km and at least a quarter of an hour longer.

When I lived in Dublin I never gave the via Limerick route a second thought, but everyone to his/her own 😀

I'd find the Cork route less stressful outside of peak hours alright. Abbeyfeale, Newcastlewest, Adare versus JLT and Baile Bhuirne.

And soon only JLT, and also soon no more JLT. It will be a much more relaxing journey I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Adare alone is worse than what Macroom used to be.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I have foreign friends who went on holiday in Kerry last month. I told them to go via M8 all the way to Cork then take N22. Driving in a foreign country is stressful enough without having to negotiate small towns too. And it’s not even that much longer in journey time: When the western section of this new road is open, the travel time difference between going via Mallow or via Cork will be only 10-12 minutes or so, but the drive itself will be so much easier.

I don’t know were other people are working these things out from, but using Google Maps: from Dublin Airport to the little park in Killarney where the jaunting cars are is 315 km and 3h21 (best time) via M8, N72 (the shortest route).

If you go all the way to Cork and take N40, N22 to Killarney, then it’s 353 km (+38 km) and 3h36 (+15 minutes) now. You really won’t notice the extra 15 minutes travel time on a journey that’s the guts of 4 hours anyway, but staying on major roads for the biggest part of the journey will mean you arrive far less tired than if you took the “shortest” way.

As for Limerick, I could understand why you’d to that if you were heading for the Dingle peninsula, but I’d never send someone that way for Killarney: it’s no shorter in distance than N72, and you have to go through so many towns and villages after Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I go down a lot and it is far superior to the N72. The roads are of a decent standard, the only issue is the traffic in the towns which you would also get with N72 and, currently, via Cork/N40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

Any date for when the next section is open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭cantalach

June, apparently. Oh that’s next month. Hmm.

Doesn't look like it's that close to being ready, as I pass. June would be great.

My understanding is that this next opening is only to the junction at eastern side of Bailie Mhic Íre.. the final small section out to the Western side of Baile Bhuirne won’t be ready until October.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes indeed, Carrigaphooca-Tonn Lain in June/July, the rest later in the year.

Noticiable from DroneHawk's videos recently also with tarmac down on the intermediate section.

That intermediate section opening would be great as it has by far the bit of road being replaced on the whole scheme.

Yes, and it will get rid of that really unsafe temporary tie-in. I’ve only driven this road four times since it opened, and on three of those, I saw a near-miss involving traffic between the old and new roads on that temporary roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Does anyone have any update on the (rumoured) early opening of the next section?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Torrey

I don't see the point in opening the carrigaphooka to Ballymakeera section if the whole thing will be finished a couple months later, they are flat out laying the road surface as far as the steel bridge on the western end. With good weather all summer it could be open by September.

If it’s ready to go it’ll get traffic off that horrendous section between Lissacresig and Ballymakeera.

It may save someone’s life.

• Advertisement

Correct - if it can save 1 life get it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Has there been any updates recently around progress, surely the weather conditions are enabling the pace to be maintained or increased?

June 2023 DroneHawk Update:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cartoncowboy

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭rounders

Post edited by rounders on

11th of August is the prelim date. To be confirmed but fingers crossed.

A pity, two weeks after the homecoming for the Cork footballers if last weekend is anything to go by so Ballyvourney residents will have to navigate the bends on route to the South Mall

(N22 Macroom bypass will close from the 8th to the 11th to facilitate the removal of the roundabout at Carrigaphooca)

October then for the last 6km

All per Radio Kerry just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Torrey

There will be a big clamour for the temporary roundabout at Carrigaphooka to remain I'd imagine, the local councillors will be out in force!

Thankfully decision making isn’t at a councillor level.

What clown would want an at grade roundabout permanently plonked in the middle of a 2+2 road.

Good news that there's less than eight weeks left for that roundabout. I think I've used this stretch of road just six times, but have seen some pretty close shaves at this roundabout on three of those occasions - it appears to be blind for traffic heading west on the old N22. The old-road traffic actually has priority heading west here, but it seems most drivers on the new road don't realise this fact, and just keep driving.

The sooner it's gone, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Those who designed the Turlough-Westport bypass apparently ...

Advertisement