Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [under construction]

«13456757

Comments



  • Sorry I wasn't at the meeting, though I've been on that road a few times myself, and I understand your pain, brother. The road around Ballyvourney is particularly shocking.

    To make it even worse, I'd say the chances of this road being started before 2015 are pretty slim. Based on what I've been reading, and what people are saying in boards, any of these non-MIU, non ARC (and even the funding for that is waning) roads are being pushed out into the never never. If you see one sod turned on that road before the next election, I'll eat my (insert particularly tasting article of clothing in here).




  • I am sure Jackie-Healy Rae will have got assurances that this will start & be finished before the next General Election




  • Bards wrote: »
    I am sure Jackie-Healy Rae will have got assurances that this will start & be finished before the next General Election
    I am sure people would like to believe it, but have you got any evidence for this?




  • only that he has been looking for this for years and was pretty happy after the formation of the govt holding his little piece of Govt paper.

    other than that no




  • Any info from the meeting? IIRC someone (Chris?) in C&T said the Macroom bypass was intially single carriageway but now being re-considered as DC/2+2?


  • Advertisement


  • :D

    I got my info off the Cork RDO website, but thats out of date now.
    In order to cater for projected traffic levels in 2019, the National Road Needs Study proposed the following improvements to the N22 between Ballincollig and Ballyvourney (currently National Primary Route):
    # Ballincollig to Coachford Junction (R619): Reduced Dual carriageway improvement.
    # Coachford Junction (R619) to Macroom: Wide 2 Lane carriageway improvement
    # Macroom bypass to Ballyvourney/Ballymakeery bypass: Standard 2 lane carriageway improvement

    Since publication of the Road Needs Study, the NRA and Cork County Council (CCC) have requested that the need for a dual carriageway between Ballincollig and Macroom, and a wide single carriageway between Macroom and Ballyvourney be investigated.

    So I dunno really, its leaning towards DC to Macroom. With the recent scrapping of WS2 and 2+1 could it be 2+2 from there on? No idea :(




  • :D

    I got my info off the Cork RDO website, but thats out of date now.



    So I dunno really, its leaning towards DC to Macroom. With the recent scrapping of WS2 and 2+1 could it be 2+2 from there on? No idea :(

    is the N22 upgrade the closest to construction date in the Cork area?




  • AFAIK yes, they seem to be pushing it but with all the hoopla thats going on with the roads program I dunno.

    N22 top priority.
    N25 Carrigtwohill - Midleton, N28 upgrade and N25 Sarsfield/Bandon are all about equal priority I think
    N20 lowest priority but being pushed a bit now.




  • Guy's anyone got a map of the final route?? Like to see it! Can't find it anywhere online.

    Bar the CPO news any other updates on the road while im on??




  • For the love of god.

    Sufferer of traffic jams. pffft what is it a 10 minute delay on a friday evening.

    That road does not carry a fraction of what Adare carries, and Adare isn't bypassed yet.

    At most 4,000 cars would use the Macroom bypass. Get over it locals. People down there don't what traffic jams are till up your up in Dublin are as I said going through Mountrath or Adare.


  • Advertisement


  • AFAIK yes, they seem to be pushing it but with all the hoopla thats going on with the roads program I dunno.

    N22 top priority.
    N25 Carrigtwohill - Midleton, N28 upgrade and N25 Sarsfield/Bandon are all about equal priority I think
    N20 lowest priority but being pushed a bit now.


    N20 is higher prority than the N22

    Give us a break with your fantasy priority list:rolleyes:




  • If you actually read my post you'd see that it was from May 2008, before this ****storm went down. Yes the N20 is the highest of the priorities in that list now, N25 Carrigtwohill next, then N22, N28 and the roundabouts.

    At least read my post properly before jumping down my throat.




  • How about the Dunkettle upgrade Chris? any news on it and where is that on your list of priorities?, suppose it may as well be on the list for santa given the way things are:p.




  • Heard nothing at all about Dunkettle but I imagine its just sitting in the pile. A LONG way off I'd hazard.




  • This is the route:

    n22.jpg




  • Anyone hear the latest about the proposed bypass, the last i heard it wont be going ahead ???




  • Its certainly been put on hold along with everything that isnt going to be PPP funded (and even they are looking dodgy). It wont have been canned altogether, just delayed. If its any consolation tho this one seems to be fairly high up the priority list so should be one of the first Government Funded ones if things pick up (after maybe Longford).




  • How about the Dunkettle upgrade Chris? any news on it and where is that on your list of priorities?, suppose it may as well be on the list for santa given the way things are:p.

    check out this

    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055546082


    things moving anyway




  • *warning* - Political PR in no way connected to recent tragic events
    THE National Roads Authority has given Cork County Council the go-ahead to publish the compulsory purchase order (CPO) for the 22km dual carriageway between Ballyvourney and Macroom, according to the Minister for Education and Science and local TD, Batt O’Keeffe.

    The CPO will show the area of land it has identified for the bypass project.

    Minister O’Keeffe said, “The National Roads Authority (NRA) has informed me that Cork County Council has finished studying the blueprint for the new bypass and it has identified the zone for CPO.

    “The local authority can now publish the CPO, a move that signals clearly that the NRA considers the route a priority.

    “It’s a welcome step towards our collective efforts to get work under way on the project which has been among my priorities as a local TD for some time.

    “It’ll also be welcomed by local people who want to see progress on the route.

    “I consider this project a vital strategic investment in the roads infrastructure here in the county.

    “I’ll continue my work to move the project on even as we face much scarcer public resources during this difficult time for our country.

    “I hope that Cork County Council will now move ahead with publishing its blueprint so that we can continue to take the necessary steps to progress this important project.”

    http://corkpolitics.ie/wp/?p=2292




  • gobdaw, there will be no $$ for this before 2020 when he will have long retired on his fat pension :(


  • Advertisement


  • Has there been any update on this? The NRA (http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/CorkCountyCouncil/N22BallyvourneyMacroom/SchemeName,16547,en.html) still has the scheme at Preliminary Design.

    Drove it again at the weekend, and although the worst stretch through the Gaeltacht Mhúscraí was improved last year, the road through Macroom is still completely inadequate for the traffic using the road.




  • No word on this for a long time. Its not on PPP Round 2 so we're talking at least 2015 before anything happens.




  • got e mailed this;

    Update Re: -** Macroom to Ballyvourney Road Development N22 – including Macroom Bypass –


    Compulsory Purchase Orders (CPO’s) for the above route have been published on today Thursday 29th October ’09 in the Irish Examiner.
    A total of €1.28mil was allocated to the scheme this year to cover the publication of the CPO’s.

    At last this scheme has moved a step further.
    We will of course keep you updated on further developments.

    Lee Valley Enterprise Board
    Macroom-e Business Centre
    Bowl Road
    Macroom
    Phone: - 026 20544
    Email: - [email protected]
    Web: - www.macroom.ie <http://www.macroom.ie&gt;




  • was this project not originally Ovens(Ballincollig by pass) to Ballyvourney, inclusing macroom by pass?
    i.e. http://www.corkrdo.ie/n22_ovens_to_ballyvourney.php

    What happened to the Ovens to Macroom part of the scheme, was it jettisoned?
    Are they going down the pragmatic road and upgrading the very worst section of the road first or whats the story?




  • Effectively joined Boards to rant about the N22. Long suffering motorist from Killarney, working/renting in Cork and regularly travel to Killarney for most weekends. Long term would be willing to commute on a decent road. The grand scheme idea of Ballyvourney to Ovens is definitely gone. In fairness, in these tighter financial times, the Macroom-Ballincollig section was never going to be developed. But the fact that Ballyvourney-Macroom has not been developed is a JOKE. The main problem with this route however is not financial constraints or the slug they found in Ballyvourney. The problem is that the underdeveloped section of the N22 is in a political nowhere. When did you last hear of national political influence from Macroom? And unfortunately Healy Rae cannot see beyond his cap to see that a high quality connection between Cork-Kerry would be certain to attract trade/weekend trips/shoppers/golfers etc. from Cork/Waterford to Kerry (and indeed the benefits would reverse direction).

    Batt O'Keeffe is an insufferable waffler on this one. He lives in the extreme east of his recently adopted constituency, with no interest in roads west of Ballincollig. He will push for the Bandon/Sarsfield interchanges (also needed, admittedly) and Dunkettle. But he will also prob push first for Cork N Ring Road (not needed before Macroom bypass), N25 and even M20.

    Only hope is FG in next time and Michael Creed is a dark horse selection for minor Cabinet post. Why wouldn't the FF Macroom Moynihans demand the bypass be built?? If two FFers can get money for a hospital in Sligo/Leitrim, then surely the Moynihans via Batt O'Keeffe can get just even the bypass for Macroom started? Or are they just evidence of FF stereotype of party/power first before the people?




  • imangry29 wrote: »
    Effectively joined Boards to rant about the N22. Long suffering motorist from Killarney, working/renting in Cork and regularly travel to Killarney for most weekends. Long term would be willing to commute on a decent road. The grand scheme idea of Ballyvourney to Ovens is definitely gone. In fairness, in these tighter financial times, the Macroom-Ballincollig section was never going to be developed. But the fact that Ballyvourney-Macroom has not been developed is a JOKE. The main problem with this route however is not financial constraints or the slug they found in Ballyvourney. The problem is that the underdeveloped section of the N22 is in a political nowhere. When did you last hear of national political influence from Macroom? And unfortunately Healy Rae cannot see beyond his cap to see that a high quality connection between Cork-Kerry would be certain to attract trade/weekend trips/shoppers/golfers etc. from Cork/Waterford to Kerry (and indeed the benefits would reverse direction).

    Batt O'Keeffe is an insufferable waffler on this one. He lives in the extreme east of his recently adopted constituency, with no interest in roads west of Ballincollig. He will push for the Bandon/Sarsfield interchanges (also needed, admittedly) and Dunkettle. But he will also prob push first for Cork N Ring Road (not needed before Macroom bypass), N25 and even M20.

    Only hope is FG in next time and Michael Creed is a dark horse selection for minor Cabinet post. Why wouldn't the FF Macroom Moynihans demand the bypass be built?? If two FFers can get money for a hospital in Sligo/Leitrim, then surely the Moynihans via Batt O'Keeffe can get just even the bypass for Macroom started? Or are they just evidence of FF stereotype of party/power first before the people?

    Haven't you figured it out yet? It's a cunning Cork chamber of Commerce plot. Delay the bypass to keep stop the Kerry boys taking the money and the women back over the border,. The possibility of kerry people commuting over and back every day horrifies them.




  • Well to be honest I kinda agree. I say build a bypass of Macroom and demolish a few miles of the road further west of that.




  • Destroy the road west of Macroom...you mean the one through Ballyvourney? Don't worry - the weather and consecutive years of not repairing that road has already taken care of that. :)


  • Advertisement


  • mysterious wrote: »
    For the love of god.

    Sufferer of traffic jams. pffft what is it a 10 minute delay on a friday evening.

    That road does not carry a fraction of what Adare carries, and Adare isn't bypassed yet.

    At most 4,000 cars would use the Macroom bypass. Get over it locals. People down there don't what traffic jams are till up your up in Dublin are as I said going through Mountrath or Adare.

    I meant to take issue with this a long long long time back but only reading it again now. The AADT through Macroom in 2005 was over 13,000, check NRA figures. Noone is looking for infrastructure on a par with the needs of Dublin. What we would like is a road that is reasonably wide, reasonably pothole free and reasonably straight for at least two minutes driving. The delays in Macroom are compounded by the fact that the road for 20km west of Macroom accommodates an average safe speed of about 50-65 km/h from my years of experience. Its a crawl. If you are behind a truck, you may not get an opportunity to overtake for an hour on the N22. Its a joke!


Advertisement