Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution: A Fairytale For Grown-Ups!

Options
  • 18-05-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

CREATION SCIENCE MINISTRIES
    -PRESENT'S-

**A MULTI-MEDIA PRESENTATION**

They say a frog that turns into a prince by a kiss is a fairytale for kids
    But a frog that turns into a prince (man) over million of years is called modern science!!

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

Come and hear the scientific and biblical evidence that shows that the Theory of Evolution as taught in our schools and colleges is really just a fairytale for grown-up!
    Colourful Powerpoint Illustrations!

ADMISSION FREE!
    TOPICS COVERED OVER TWO NIGHTS:
    The Big Bang!
    Ape-Men
    Missing Links
    Laws of Science
    Biblical Scientific Accuracy
    Made in God's Image?

***First Night:Spa Hotel Lucan
    Tuesday 27th May, 2008
    7:30pm

Second Night***:Lucan Youth Centre
    Wednesday 28th May, 2008
    Primrose Lane, Lucan Village
    (near Gardai Station)

Sponsored by Gospel Baptist Church, Lucan
    Email: gospelbaptistchurch@eircom.net

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

izzyflusky wrote: »

Bright, colourful powerpoint presentations? Sounds like the kind of thing that would amuse simple-minded people who stil believe in Creationism. :)

Honestly, enjoy yourselves, though - could I suggest you bring along some crayons and maybe tinfoil? The shiny reflective material will entertain you all day long. Just remember: the crayons are for art, people - they're inedible!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Aww man, now I'm ashamed to live in Lucan.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

right, so the scientific theory of evolution, supported by overwhelming evidence is a 'fairy tale' but 'An invisible man did it by magic' is a science'?

That must take an astonishing level of self deception to actually believe that

See, it's not really to hard to grasp, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Sounds like the kind of thing that would amuse simple-minded people who stil believe in Creationism. :)

Honestly, enjoy yourselves, though - could I suggest you bring along some crayons and maybe tinfoil? The shiny reflective material will entertain you all day long. Just remember: the crayons are for art, people - they're inedible!

:rolleyes:

I don't accept creationism in a young earth sense; however, I can accept that people have opinions separate to mine without resorting to childish taunts. You debase yourself.

You debase yourself.

I suppose that's meant as an insult of sorts, but seeing as you don't know my character you can't really comment on whether not I've "lowered" myself, as you don't know from where I started (apart from not monkeys, of course ;)).

I'd normally totally agree with you on the respecting-others'-opinions/viewpoints thing but Creationism is a step too far.

I suppose that's meant as an insult of sorts, but seeing as you don't know my character you can't really comment on whether not I've "lowered" myself, as you don't know from where I started (apart from not monkeys, of course ;))

No, it wasn't meant as an insult. I merely pointed out that your use of belittling language was unacceptable. The bottom line is that you intended to insult and inflame others, any valid expression of opinion you might have on creationism was secondary to this. I suggest you read the charter if you are in any way unclear as to your position.

You are correct that I don't know your character. Though, like everyone else, I expect certain levels of decorum between people. However, if you normally resort to mocking those you differ with, I'll cheerfully withdraw my debasement claim.
    apart from not monkeys, of course ;)
    Unlike you, I don't believe that we 'came' from monkeys - that is such an open ended assertion. The general scientific consensuses is that we share a closer link to African apes than we do with monkeys. Indeed, it is currently believed that we humans and apes evolved from a common assessor. Finally, to quote myself: 'I'm not a creationist in the young earth sense'.

There is a monstrous thread with 10,000+ posts on the subject of creationism on this forum. I suggest you take your opinions on the validity of the topic there. I, for one, won't be joining you.

I don't accept creationism in a young earth sense; however, I can accept that people have opinions separate to mine without resorting to childish taunts. You debase yourself.
    You can hardly expect him to reply to a thread calling evolution a fairytale with a serious reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    You can hardly expect him to reply to a thread calling evolution a fairytale with a serious reply.

i agree. ridicule is a perfectly acceptable response to ridiculousness. the creationism thread with 10,000+ posts proves that debate is fairly ineffectual with people who believe we are all descended from a single incestuous family in the fairly recent past. decorum is all well and good, but sometimes it's best just to point and laugh.

• Advertisement

Where is this "Gospel Baptist Church, Lucan" :confused:

The only thing I can find about it is a PO box address

EDIT: And there seems to be no "CREATION SCIENCE MINISTRIES" either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

-PRESENT'S-

Religion: A Fairytale For Grown-Ups!

Every Sunday at your local Church
    There, fixed it for you

Don't you just love the utter stupidity of the notion that they can describe a scientific theory like evolution as a fairytale and completely ignore the huge elephant in the room which they seek to replace it with?

Intelligent Falling FTW!
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512

Ciaran500 wrote: »

I do. After all, I don't feel the need insult posters in a thread entitled The God Delusion.

Entering into a debate is preferable to insulting other for many reasons. Of these, the two main reasons that spring to mind are: firstly, it often strengthens your own understanding. Secondly, a well reasoned argument can convince others not directly involved in the debate, albeit not often the entrenched opponent. As a Christian, I believe that evolutionary theory is a well reasoned argument. Childish name calling is not an argument from intellectual grounds; it does nothing to strengthen your position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

I do. After all, I don't feel the need insult posters in a thread entitled The God Delusion.

Entering into a debate is preferable to insulting other for many reasons. Of these, the two main reasons that spring to mind are: firstly, it often strengthens your own understanding. Secondly, a well reasoned argument can convince others not directly involved in the debate, albeit not often the entrenched opponent. As a Christian, I believe that evolutionary theory is a well reasoned argument. Childish name calling is not an argument from intellectual grounds; it does nothing to strengthen your position.

Don't you see that the whole creationism thing is gone beyond rational debate The lies and deceit alone show the lengths such people are willing to go to.

The Creationism thread is a case in point. The creationist posters there have engaged in the kind of intellectual bankruptcy that is beyond comprehension. If anything ridicule is too good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Xhristy wrote: »

I'm very happy for you, I often laugh at the theory of evolution. As FC said, if you have anything constructive to add to the evolution v creationism debate there's a rather sizable thread for that. Personal insults and attacks on peoples opinions because they differ to yours is rather unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

Willful ignorance TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'm very happy for you, I often laugh at the theory of evolution.

We don't mind you laughing at it. It suggests that you don't at all understand it (it's a pretty dry and humourless theory), but it certainly doesn't do the theory any damage. We would love to have you present your views in the creationism/evolution thread- who knows, you might even change a few minds.

As for this talk, it sounds very much like it intends to re-cover ground that has been very effectively refuted many times. Repeating the same misconceptions over and over won't make them any more true.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What's this? A presentation on hypocrisy? I am so there!

Colourful pictures FTW! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I think Fanny Craddock was giving very good advice. I personally think that the creatinonist/evolutionist thread has allowed people looking in to see that whether creationists are right or not, they do indulge in propaganda and seem to avoid certain questions. Reading posts from people like Bonkey, can get a point accross without talking down, it just puts out the info. I think the ridicule that has been dished out here at a flyer, which is advertising a presentation, just shows an arrogance on the ridiculers behalf. Its only my opinion, but you guys don't come out looking good. In fact you just seem like a mob of back-slappers. But maybe thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I dont post in the Christian forum.

Its a forum for.... discussion of christian things.

As absolutely mindless as i think the denial of evolution is i dont think other should come here and essentially troll them.

I dont post pics of pedobear in the parenting forum, or go into the Islamic forum and tell them i wont let the Iranian guy in spar make my ham and cheese sandwich because they dont use tissue to wipe their ass.

Imo, just let them have a troll free discussion :o

JimiTime wrote: »
    I think the ridicule that has been dished out here at a flyer, which is advertising a presentation, just shows an arrogance on the ridiculers behalf.

If an advert is silly it will be ridiculed. Whether it be a TV ad for Coca-cola or a flyer for a presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Galvasean wrote: »
    If an advert is silly it will be ridiculed. Whether it be a TV ad for Coca-cola or a flyer for a presentation.

If they had left out the "Colourful Powerpoint Illustrations!" it could have been left alone. But that really was asking for it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

izzyflusky wrote: »
    -PRESENT'S-

They say a frog that turns into a prince by a kiss is a fairytale for kids
    But a frog that turns into a prince (man) over million of years is called modern science!!

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

Come and hear the scientific and biblical evidence that shows that the Theory of Evolution as taught in our schools and colleges is really just a fairytale for grown-up!

ADMISSION FREE!
    TOPICS COVERED OVER TWO NIGHTS:
    The Big Bang!
    Ape-Men
    Missing Links
    Laws of Science
    Biblical Scientific Accuracy
    Made in God's Image?

***First Night:Spa Hotel Lucan
    Tuesday 27th May, 2008

Second Night***:Lucan Youth Centre
    Wednesday 28th May, 2008
    Primrose Lane, Lucan Village
    (near Gardai Station)

Sponsored by Gospel Baptist Church, Lucan
    Email: gospelbaptistchurch@eircom.net
    Shocking. It's times like this, I lament the demise of the Roman Catholic Church. At least they have some intelligent people in that organisation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

JimiTime wrote: »
    I think Fanny Craddock was giving very good advice. I personally think that the creatinonist/evolutionist thread has allowed people looking in to see that whether creationists are right or not, they do indulge in propaganda and seem to avoid certain questions. Reading posts from people like Bonkey, can get a point accross without talking down, it just puts out the info. I think the ridicule that has been dished out here at a flyer, which is advertising a presentation, just shows an arrogance on the ridiculers behalf. Its only my opinion, but you guys don't come out looking good. In fact you just seem like a mob of back-slappers. But maybe thats just me.

Mostly agree with that anyone is entitled to believe whatever they want.

However a large proportion of Creationists have a hidden agenda to get this stuff taught in science classes which I have a major problem with.

iUseVi wrote: »
    If they had left out the "Colourful Powerpoint Illustrations!" it could have been left alone. But that really was asking for it. :p

Well the fairy-tale bit was a bit too hypocritical for my liking. But yes, the Colourful Powerpoint Illustrations bit really does not do them any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Who says fairytales arent for grown-ups? Who says fairytales cant be real?

except that this is one thing that isn't actually funny at all.

Its pure propaganda and pure lies and its targeting the weak and the deluded.

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    Mostly agree with that anyone is entitled to believe whatever they want.

However a large proportion of Creationists have a hidden agenda to get this stuff taught in science classes which I have a major problem with.

And it has been demonstrated pretty clearly (in several american court cases) that creationism has absolutely nothing scientific about it and is nothing but a platform for people to preach religion while pretending to use a testable scientific method.

It is blatant deception. While some people are taken in by the lies, the people who come up with the 'arguments' (rather than simply repeating them) are callous and deliberate in their deceit. (amongst the most glaring evidence of this is the fact that proponents of intelligent design took an earlier creationist 'text book' and simply replaced all the references to 'creation' with 'intelligent design' and then tried to pretend that 'ID' was a completely separate 'theory' and wasn't trying to promote religion.

Advertisement